NHL 2021: Blatant Cap Circumvention Everywhere Edition

1 hour ago, Ruki Returns said:

All 3 big trades today have just been dumb.

Yeah they're all huge overpayments. Giving Seth Jones this deal when he's never been elite according to analytics is silly. I get there's a balance between eye test and analytics but this totally ignores them and straps Chicago to a likely highly overpaid blueliner for far too long.

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mean Schiefele is good, but it serves him right having to sit and suck it down after that hit. NHL should not suspend or not suspend people based on how important they are to their team, either the

So the draft is over, it's now free agency, fuck the Calgary Flames, season in January maybe? Also possible we do bubbles again? Anyway, since no one eats well during a pandemic, here are predictio

You're a bum wrist. The fiasco around the dops and hockey ops is not gonna go away. NHL made the wrong call backing Parros, but Parros isn't the problem. It is Colin Campbell. How he still has a

Posted Images

What the hell was the entire front office thinking? Like, I knew someone would draft him at some point this weekend (presumed in one of the later rounds a la the NFL) to hold onto his rights since the league just shrugged and kept him on the eligibility list but sure would've been nice if no one did.

Also, as long as people continue to show up for their teams and put all blame on Montreal as opposed to the league and systems that made this possible, this will keep happening in the sport. The existential threat of people being done with hockey as a whole is the only thing that will get people off their asses to fix it. Otherwise events like this shift into the tribalism of "what is (this team that's not mine) doing?" or "very disappointed in (my team) and I'll let them hear it". You either change the culture of the entire sport by walking away and forcing their hand, or you cause one team to go on a PR offensive and let time gloss over the anger.

I doubt most hockey fans, based on my experience with other sports, will give up on the NHL as a whole to force a change.

Montreal Canadians also have expressed interest in bringing in Tony DeAngelo. If he seems familiar it is because he made a name for himself for tweeting his support of the capital rioters and other Donald Trump initiatives and for getting suspended and cut for fighting with a teammate.

Pretty sure their next move is to bring in Jake Virtanen.

5 hours ago, SeanDMan said:

Montreal Canadians also have expressed interest in bringing in Tony DeAngelo. If he seems familiar it is because he made a name for himself for tweeting his support of the capital rioters and other Donald Trump initiatives and for getting suspended and cut for fighting with a teammate.

Pretty sure their next move is to bring in Jake Virtanen.

And Voynov.

And in other goalie news, Holtby being bought out.

Teams looking for a tandem or backup goaltender would be smart to wait out the market a little bit this off-season. There are going to be good tenders left who will take smaller deals just to get the opportunity to cash in next off-season.

Chicago gets a top goaltender with a big hit here, but it's just one more season and then they can re-evaluate the crease next year. Vegas gets $7 million off the books and re-ignites the Jack Eichel chatter.

Leafs signed Petr Mrazek, then the Hurricanes signed Frederik Andersen. That's kind of fun. The Leafs are now spending less on their goaltending, and I would not be surprised to see Andersen play well in Carolina. 

Calgary has signed Blake Coleman to a six year deal worth $4.5 a year. While I am not a fan of the term, given the mileage on the player, Coleman has a proven track record of being exactly the type of guy needed for the team. He's won the Cup, he plays hard every game, and he holds himself and his teammates accountable. When you talk locker room culture and a need to be harder to play against, Coleman is a perfect fit.

I believe they also came to terms today with Nikita Zadorov, who is a huge bruising defenseman capable of playing big minutes.

Johnny Gaudreau hasn't been moved, which leads me to believe that they either have an extension or trade lined up. There's no way Tree goes into the new season with Gaudreau on an expiring deal.

Ideally, in my mind, we re-sign Gaudreau and move Monahan. It's a sell-low on Monahan for sure, but I honestly don't think his value increases while he's wearing the flaming C. Move him now, recoup what you can. These Tkachuk rumors though... I only move him if he expresses a desire to play elsewhere. If he's interested in staying long-term, I keep him no matter what. Gaudreau, Tkachuk and Lindholm are the only forwards I'm not even considering moving unless they want out.

Crazy prediction... the reason everything is quiet on Johnny Gaudreau right now is that Tree is trying to swing a deal with Buffalo for Jack Eichel that will include multiple pieces going both ways, including Gaudreau and Monahan both to the Sabres.

My hunch for awhile has been that an Eichel trade will see proven players going the other way as opposed to a lot of future assets. It'll be a team trading from a position of strength to get a true superstar center to build around for the next decade.

2 minutes ago, damshow said:

My hunch for awhile has been that an Eichel trade will see proven players going the other way as opposed to a lot of future assets. It'll be a team trading from a position of strength to get a true superstar center to build around for the next decade.

That's what I was thinking. Buffalo doesn't want to be a shit team forever, and no team is going to give up the farm right now for a question mark. But in a tight cap situation, the Sabres could probably get a package of solid NHL bodies that can help them both immediately and in the development of their own prospects.

Calgary is supposedly still very much in on Eichel, and Gaudreau's No Move Clause has kicked in. It's modified though, and he had to submit a list of five teams he'd be okay to move to. I figured that if he didn't sign an extension right away, that it meant Treliving is kicking tires on what a trade looks like.

Maybe packaging him and Monahan together convinced Johnny that Buffalo should be on that list. Moving both guys would mean that we would need to go hunting for another winger, but if the Flames could get that included in the deal or get Buffalo to eat more salary going that way, that would go a long way in helping re-shape our team.