NHL 2021

SeanDMan

Now Calgary had cleaned house and replaced their bench staff.

Wtf this season, man.

20 hours ago, Forky said:

They've won two of their last three. This is still coming because of their start.

The team doesn't battle consistently. It's the reason why we haven't been able to make a deep run in the post-season with this core. They've got the pieces, but the work ethic and grit isn't there to do what they can on a nightly basis. Ward did a great job with these guys, but they need someone who isn't going to baby them. Sutter is a no-nonsense coach. If you're not putting in the effort, you're not going to get the minutes.

I've always been a fan of coaches who are willing to play their depth guys over their stars when they aren't really trying. It shouldn't matter how much money you make or how you can dangle or snipe. You play if you deserve it.

14 hours ago, damshow said:

Tom Wilson with maybe his worst one yet...

I for one am shocked that Tom Wilson not only did that, but got away with it!

41 minutes ago, Gabriel said:

The team doesn't battle consistently. It's the reason why we haven't been able to make a deep run in the post-season with this core. They've got the pieces, but the work ethic and grit isn't there to do what they can on a nightly basis. Ward did a great job with these guys, but they need someone who isn't going to baby them. Sutter is a no-nonsense coach. If you're not putting in the effort, you're not going to get the minutes.

I've always been a fan of coaches who are willing to play their depth guys over their stars when they aren't really trying. It shouldn't matter how much money you make or how you can dangle or snipe. You play if you deserve it.

I'd have a counterargument that a guy like Sutter, with some stories of him being abusive towards his players, needs to not get work again because it just continues to perpetuate the bad culture in hockey.

He's a fantastic coach and doesn't need to mentally abuse players to get everything out of them that he does, and is no-nonsense in getting teams in shape to reach their potential. But it just hangs over him especially in the current climate. And the Flames probably are going to keep hear it get brought up even as he's denied them (which of course he would).

19 hours ago, damshow said:

Tom Wilson with maybe his worst one yet...

Wilson deserves a lengthy suspension for this.  He's got the history of dirty play, so I hope it's a long suspension. 

The game before this had been chippy, but a lot of it was between Ovetchkin and Frederic.

I'm going to go against the grain and say I don't really think it was that bad.

Wilson hits him from the side, not behind; if he is scanning the ice, he can see Wilson coming but he lowers his head and thus puts himself in a vulnerable position. Primary point of contact from Wilson looks to be the shoulder, in fact it almost looks like he's tucking his arm and grabbing it with his other arm to avoid throwing a forearm. And the point of contact on the defensive player is the head, but that is because he lowered his head. Wilson doesn't follow through but pushes off with his opposite hand, and plays the puck immediately after. I think he was probably caught off guard that the hit was as devastating as it was.

Does look like a charge and I don't take an issue with it being suspendable but in terms of intentional attempts to murder dudes, Wilson has way worse on his rap sheet.

Edit: Watching it again what the fuck is Vrana doing? Wilson ktfoed the guy and Vrana is like "yeah, stay down, eat shit and die" and crosschecks him in the neck and rubs his face in the snow. Like, dude, stop, he's already dead.

Edited by SeanDMan

On 20/03/2021 at 01:06, SeanDMan said:

This season is a fucking odd one.

The oddities continue!

Tim Peel has been fired (a month before his retirement) because he got caught doing what we all already know that the refs do.

TV mics picked him up stating that he was "looking to call a fucking penalty against Nashville".

The league is acting as if it's an irregular occurrence, but we as fans have been crying foul about these types of things for years. How often does a regular non-call happen against a team after their opponent was called for something that turned out to be a bad call? Or when one team is getting penalized considerably more than the other, and all of a sudden it seems like the refs are just watching and waiting for anything that they might be able to call to try and even it out a bit?

I'm on board for the punishment against Peel... but really, the league needs to address this as the widespread issue it is... otherwise, Peel is just the guy who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Referees have a tough job out there... but the job shouldn't be to control the narrative of a game, and it shouldn't allow for them to "right their wrongs" by picking and choosing what they call. I've always advocated for calling every game exactly the same. If it's a penalty, it's a penalty no matter who does it or when it happens.

Makeup calls happen pretty clearly in every sport. In the NFL, offensive holding or defensive holding will almost always be used as a makeup call after a bad one since both are pretty easy to have plausible deniability about. They either happen on every play and when they don't it sure is usually pretty close. NBA always has phantom fouls which beget more phantom fouls and so on.

I think it's a way to escape accountability for a bad call since everyone knows the makeup call is being made and it's now "even". But it doesn't really address the root of the problem which is referees sometimes just not wanting to admit a mistake, and their job is hard and they get a ton of vitriol so I can't totally blame them, but the whole idea of a makeup call just keeps makes sure the problems keep going on.

North Dakota and Minnesota-Duluth played a 5OT game in the NCAA tournament last night. Obviously not NHL (though players drafted by NHL teams participated in the game) but I'm not making a college hockey thread. Longest game in NCAA tournament history, clocking in at over 6 hours. Ended in a upset as Minnesota-Duluth knocked off number 1 overall seed North Dakota.

On 24/03/2021 at 09:20, Gabriel said:

The oddities continue!

Tim Peel has been fired (a month before his retirement) because he got caught doing what we all already know that the refs do.

TV mics picked him up stating that he was "looking to call a fucking penalty against Nashville".

The league is acting as if it's an irregular occurrence, but we as fans have been crying foul about these types of things for years. How often does a regular non-call happen against a team after their opponent was called for something that turned out to be a bad call? Or when one team is getting penalized considerably more than the other, and all of a sudden it seems like the refs are just watching and waiting for anything that they might be able to call to try and even it out a bit?

I'm on board for the punishment against Peel... but really, the league needs to address this as the widespread issue it is... otherwise, Peel is just the guy who got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

Referees have a tough job out there... but the job shouldn't be to control the narrative of a game, and it shouldn't allow for them to "right their wrongs" by picking and choosing what they call. I've always advocated for calling every game exactly the same. If it's a penalty, it's a penalty no matter who does it or when it happens.

On 24/03/2021 at 09:32, damshow said:

Makeup calls happen pretty clearly in every sport. In the NFL, offensive holding or defensive holding will almost always be used as a makeup call after a bad one since both are pretty easy to have plausible deniability about. They either happen on every play and when they don't it sure is usually pretty close. NBA always has phantom fouls which beget more phantom fouls and so on.

I think it's a way to escape accountability for a bad call since everyone knows the makeup call is being made and it's now "even". But it doesn't really address the root of the problem which is referees sometimes just not wanting to admit a mistake, and their job is hard and they get a ton of vitriol so I can't totally blame them, but the whole idea of a makeup call just keeps makes sure the problems keep going on.

I don't have a problem with game management. The NHL needs to admit that game management is the goal of officiating. To make sure that things are relatively fair and to try and make sure that things don't get out of control.  I don't mind make up calls if they diffuse tension or balance out a bad call.

Some of the stuff is just absurd, though. Like Auger telling Alex Burrows that "you made me look bad last game, so I'm going to make this a bad night for you". The whole debacle, where your head of officiating has a son who actively plays in the league, and then makes it to the finals. And in that finals, your penalty minutes leader is Daniel Fucking Sedin, who takes 32 minutes of penalties in 25 playoff games while he had 32 minutes in 82 regular season games... get real.

This isn't even bringing up the Wheel Of Justice to determine whether someone gets a stiff fine or swiftly beheaded.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hockey is good again! Campbell with 10 wins to start the season! Only the second goalie (Price) to do that! he has a chance to have the record! Plus Matthews is scoring again! And the Leafs are on top of the standings (by points, not %)! I think if Campbell can stay healthy, I'd be ok with him being our starter.

I love that Treliving sent Rittich to Toronto. He's a high-emotion player who will do well for them there. The Flames have been flat this year and it has affected his game. The Leafs play with much more energy and emotion, and he should thrive in those conditions.

He slots in at number three on the depth chart, but it's looking more and more likely that Anderson may be out most (if not all of) the rest of the season. Campbell has played great for them, but they need that insurance policy in case he goes down, or at the very least, to ensure that he's given the rest he needs.

I could see the Leafs re-signing Rittich if this trial goes well and letting Anderson go in free agency. He'll be a cheaper option, and while he wants the starter's designation, he has plateaued as a platoon guy. He's definitely better than being a backup, but he can't carry the starter's load. A tandem situation is best for Big Save Dave, and having that kind of security alongside Campbell wouldn't be a bad situation for them to go into next year with.

It's also just great that even though I lose Rittich out of Calgary, he's gone to my Eastern Conference team, so I can still cheer him on.