AEW game confirmed

FLiam

I can count the number of video games I've played for the graphics on one finger. If the gameplay is great and intuitive and fun, that'll be enough for me. I mean I play Fire Pro more than any other wrestling game made in the last 20 years. 

EDIT: Just saw the footage and it looks absolutely fine. It reminds me the WWE Legends of WrestleMania game but a little less cartoony.

Edited by Meacon Keaton
  • Like 5

I'm not impressed, but only because they didn't have much to show. Not sure if that was intentional or not, since they will be making so many changes before release.

I like the art style, I think they were always going to go for a stylistic approach to graphics (like Street Fighter, Overwatch, Fortnight) with the Virtual Pro/No Mercy grapple style of gameplay. Looking forward to seeing it in beta and a roster list.

Mobile games I'm just not into. If they stick them on the Switch I might be tempted. Playing poker with Leva, Ortiz, Pac and Orange Cassidy sounds like a blast.

2 hours ago, GA! said:

I can't say I've noticed a difference in games graphics since going from PS2 to PS3. And plenty of us play indie games now that don't exactly strain the specs.

There really hasn't been an equivalent upgrade in graphical capability since then. What we've been seeing since is basically incremental changes in how quickly the same information can be processed, rather than the kind of leaps forward you got from PS1 to PS2 or, to a lesser extent, PS2 to PS3.

I've seen a lot of games developers I follow on Twitter sharing comparison shots of the same game on PS4 and PS5 and saying there's absolutely nothing in the PS5 graphics that can't be achieved on current gen tech, it's mostly better use of things like light and shadow, which the PS5 can process quicker. 

14 minutes ago, Skummy said:

There really hasn't been an equivalent upgrade in graphical capability since then. What we've been seeing since is basically incremental changes in how quickly the same information can be processed, rather than the kind of leaps forward you got from PS1 to PS2 or, to a lesser extent, PS2 to PS3.

I've seen a lot of games developers I follow on Twitter sharing comparison shots of the same game on PS4 and PS5 and saying there's absolutely nothing in the PS5 graphics that can't be achieved on current gen tech, it's mostly better use of things like light and shadow, which the PS5 can process quicker. 

The biggest gains in technology is currently focused on higher resolutions and higher framerates on those higher resolutions. There's still been big jumps in graphics, but nothing as major as in earlier generations.

Also don't forget most devs are now making the same game for multiple systems, and it's cheaper to make a singular version rather than two, where one requires big changes for the new tech.

I think in about 2 years well start seeing the leaps the new Xbox and PlayStation have made with the new generation.

• Like 1

That's been the case in pretty much every console since the PS1, that developers get the most out of it at the end of it's cycle, but I don't think that changes Skummy's point and those "leaps" really aren't leaps anymore. I don't think it's a particular negative, it's just the fact that seeing the difference between 4K/8K or whatever can never be as big as the leap from SD to HD or 8 bit to 16/32. 

I played Uncharted 1 for the first time this year, and am now nearly finished 4, and while there are gradual graphical improvements the first one still held up all these years later.

I wouldn't care much if graphics never got better than they are now. In the past, better textures and draw distance could mean the difference between distinguishing between key objects and areas, whereas they're just there to make things prettier now. VR is the area in which graphical quality stands to improve the most as even the best games look a if you've lost your contact lenses.

The most interesting advances now come from the increase in processing power and hard drive speed. Hopefully, they can be used to make games like this run more quickly and offer more realistic AI behaviour. Mind you, Fire Pro has much better AI than the WWE games on a much smaller budget, so all this technology counts for very little if the developers can't use it properly.

I am curious what they might be thinking game mode wise. Have to assume they incorporate a good variety of match modes (please let me do a battle royal that is falls count anywhere). 

I'd actually be down for adding in weird made up characters as long as everybody makes it in (like come on who doesn't want to see Adam Page vs. Dake Ken or Pentagon vs. Han Zo Man).

• Like 3

The fact that the console game trailer ended with Hikaru Shida laying Kenny out did feel like a nod to the old wrestling games where anyone could wrestle anyone, which is extremely welcome. I hope that does extend to having staff and managers wrestle too, I want to do career mode as Jake Roberts in his 2020, Grand Theft Auto game quest-giver incarnation.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Diamante as AEW champion would be a fun run....