World Cup 2022 qualifiers

Lineker

21 minutes ago, Moses Julep said:

Canada is going to the World Cup. :) 

Time to get Craig Forrest and Dwayne DeRosario out of retirement!

• Haha 1

In the 2000s we used to struggle to beat Guadeloupe and Martinique. More often than not we used to lose to them too. They’re not even countries! In 2012 we got knocked out of the World Cup qualifiers by Honduras losing 8-1. The entire time Atiba Hutchinson was the only player that played at his best the whole time. He’ll be 39 at the World Cup. I’m glad we’re giving him one, the dude really deserves it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Moses Julep said:

In the 2000s we used to struggle to beat Guadeloupe and Martinique. More often than not we used to lose to them too. They’re not even countries! In 2012 we got knocked out of the World Cup qualifiers by Honduras losing 8-1. The entire time Atiba Hutchinson was the only player that played at his best the whole time. He’ll be 39 at the World Cup. I’m glad we’re giving him one, the dude really deserves it. 

You have banished the spector of French international Jocelyn Angloma coming out of retirement to score against Canada in 2007!

TIL that John Herdman, Canada's manager, is from County Durham and went to the same university that I work at and graduated from.

Great to see Canada in the World Cup. Only other time they've made it was before I was born.

• Like 1

The final African qualifiers are complete. I feel especially bad for Egypt, who were beaten by Senegal in the African Cup of Nations final, and have been denied the World Cup by Senegal as well.

Egypt v Senegal (after penalties)
Cameroon v Algeria (after extra time)
Ghana v Nigeria
DR Congo v Morocco
Mali v Tunisia

Most of the European play-offs are now complete.
Poland v Sweden
Portugal v North Macedonia
Scotland/Ukraine v Wales (as soon as Ukraine can continue)

Asian qualifiers are almost complete, Japan and Saudi Arabia join Qatar, South Korea and Iran. Play-off winner faces South American team.
Australia v United Arab Emirates (June).

South America's table is finished, Ecuador and Uruguay join Brazil and Argentina. Peru are the play-off qualifier.
Peru v Australia/UAE (June)

Today's deciders:
OFC winners to be decided, whoever wins qualifies for a play-off against CONCACAF play-off qualifier.
New Zealand v Solomon Islands.

North American qualifiers Canada will likely be joined by USA and Mexico unless* Costa Rica hammer the USA. Costa Rica would then face the OFC winners.
Costa Rica* vs New Zealand/Solomon Islands (June).

Rounding up to be a tournament with no newbies, other than Qatar. Who knows, maybe the Solomon Islands will shock us.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

The Senegalese fans using laser pointers to distract the Egyptian penalty takers were disgraceful.

The amount of them was ridiculous. You've sometimes seen like one pen being pointed but Salah had a full on facial of green lasers on his face as if he was at a rave 

2 hours ago, DavidMarrio said:

The amount of them was ridiculous. You've sometimes seen like one pen being pointed but Salah had a full on facial of green lasers on his face as if he was at a rave 

Should be a rule where they just award them a scored penalty for it. It'd stop pretty quickly. For those that haven't seen it:

Spoiler

I agree if it's being done and caught by officials (and how the hell you don't catch this one is beyond me) it should automatically award the penalty to the taker. You can, and probably should, have some degree of accepted advantage for the home side but it's pretty clear where that line can be drawn.

It's a shame Salah specifically won't be at the World Cup. One of the rare years where the world's best player won't be at its biggest tournament. I may be forgetting someone but it likely hasn't happened since George Weah in the 90s, no?

All that work expanding the World Cup so that the best players will all be present and in the last one before it they don't have the best player present.

2 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

The Senegalese fans using laser pointers to distract the Egyptian penalty takers were disgraceful.

He also had bottles thrown at him, and I believe other players did. The Egyptian FA have complained about racist slogans, some of them were directed towards Salah directly.

Baffling stuff, I wouldn't mind seeing Senegal disqualified.

6 minutes ago, damhausen said:

I agree if it's being done and caught by officials (and how the hell you don't catch this one is beyond me) it should automatically award the penalty to the taker. You can, and probably should, have some degree of accepted advantage for the home side but it's pretty clear where that line can be drawn.

It's a shame Salah specifically won't be at the World Cup. One of the rare years where the world's best player won't be at its biggest tournament. I may be forgetting someone but it likely hasn't happened since George Weah in the 90s, no?

All that work expanding the World Cup so that the best players will all be present and in the last one before it they don't have the best player present.

How exactly are we defining Salah as the best player in the world? I'd say it's arguable, but we can hardly do a historical stat for it. Shola Ameobi only went to one World Cup for example.

9 minutes ago, Colly said:

How exactly are we defining Salah as the best player in the world? I'd say it's arguable, but we can hardly do a historical stat for it. Shola Ameobi only went to one World Cup for example.

You're right to be fair, he's probably 2nd best right now, but Joël Matip has retired from international duty so won't be in Qatar.

14 hours ago, The Kraig said:

Who knows, maybe the Solomon Islands will shock us.

Well, maybe not. New Zealand spanked them 5-0 to win their region and qualify for the play-off, most likely with Costa Rica. We'll find out today, America-time.