Christmas Music

Benji

I’m very much a traditionalist when it comes to Christmas songs. Five Christmases working in retail have pretty much ruined all the Christmas pop songs for me - not that I particularly liked them in the first place.

But I love the carols, the hymns, the Bach, the King’s College Choir and all that. Great tunes and - assuming you have the right recording - extremely atmospheric.

Most of the secular Christmas music is banal, but such banality is what you are likely to get when you attempt to put a secular spin on a sacred event. It’s sugary and accessible but even the few odes to consumerism that I still continue to listen to leave me feeling a bit empty.

For charity, your favourite comedy grind band Raised By Owls have curated a cover of Do They Know it's Christmas featuring 40 odd bands. 

Just to follow up, the Raised By Owls + Guests charity song from my previous post has raised over £1500 for the charity Crisis. Most excellent work! 

Here is the link if anyone is interested: https://raisedbyowls.bandcamp.com/track/do-they-know-its-christmas

Here's my favorite Christmas songs I heard for the first time this year:

On 17/12/2020 at 05:33, Subject Delta said:

No joke on nothing, the "She's 55 but she's still finding herself / We're all still finding ourselves!" bit pops up into my head at least once every other month.

• Like 1

And well...because thats how I roll...

And maybe a bit more "traditional"