Charley Pride Has Passed Away

Hobo

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-country/charley-pride-dead-obit-192455/

Charley Pride, who was a superstar of 70s country music has died of COVID19 (and one of only 3 African American members of the Grand Ole Opery). One month after getting a lifetime acheivement award at the CMAs.

Charley Pride's music forms some of my earliest memories of music. My dad was a big fan.  

Dammit. Guess now he really will get to Kiss An Angel Good Mornin'.

One of the few country musicians I actually liked when I was a kid.  And it might be blasphemy, but I prefer his version of Kaw-Liga to Hank Williams'.

R.I.P.

I was just talking about Charley Pride with someone the other day. I wasn't sure if he was still alive. Years (decades?) ago he had surgery on his vocal chords and after he recovered, he returned to the hospital to surprise the staff with a thank-you concert. I also didn't know until recently that he co-owned the Texas Rangers.