Formula One 2021

Lineker

• Admin

I imagine that it would be hard to reschedule it, mainly due to it being a temporary circuit which would need to be constructed around Albert Park - plus the fact that the season goes through winter down there...

That said - I guess they'll try??

• Admin

Williams have confirmed that 2009 World Champion Jenson Button has returned to the team as special advisor on a multi-year deal.

Button’s responsibilities will include guiding the Grove outfit, making full use of his 30 years in motorsport, as well as supporting the development of Williams’s race and academy drivers.

Button will attend a number of grands prix with Williams during the 2021 season, while also continuing his role with Sky F1 as an analyst.

Speaking to the Williams website, Button said: “I am so delighted to once again be able to say that I’ve signed for Williams. Back when I was 19 it was a moment that changed my life and, despite the fact it was over 20 years ago, I already feel like I never really left.

“Sir Frank Williams showed faith in me which I will be eternally grateful for and I am incredibly excited to have the chance to come back and help the team as it strives once more for success.

“There’s a lot of hard work to be done but I have no doubt the future is incredibly bright for this fantastic team and I can’t wait to get started.”

After earning a Williams race seat in 2000 and impressing alongside Ralf Schumacher, Button moved on to Benetton/Renault, though it was at Honda where his career truly started to take off with the Briton’s first career win arriving at the 2006 Hungarian Grand Prix.

Button would move on to Brawn in 2009, the season where his first and only World Championship arrived, but when the team became Mercedes for the following season he chose to sign with McLaren.

Eight further race wins came from his time at McLaren before Button bowed out of Formula 1 at the end of 2016, though he did make a one-off appearance at the 2017 Monaco Grand Prix.

“Bringing Jenson back on board is another positive step to help us move forward as a team both on and off track,” incoming Williams CEO Jost Capito added.

“Jenson has always been a friend of the team and so it is great to welcome him back into the Williams family.

“Back in 2000, Sir Frank saw the promising talent Jenson had as a driver and gave him his first opportunity in F1. He more than fulfilled that initial promise throughout a glittering career that culminated in World Championship glory.

“More recently, he has shown his acumen in both the business and broadcasting worlds and remains a widely respected figure in the paddock.

“All this experience will add another layer to our transformation both technically and as a business. I know everyone at Grove has huge respect for him and we’re delighted to start working with him.”

44 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

That's now 6 out of the 20 contracted drivers from 2020 who have tested positive. That is far too big a percentile.

First part, yeah I think they have gone out partying after the season was over.

Second part................

Fun fact from Reddit, it has been 32 years since a Grand Prix didn't have a Finnish driver entry (the only one that didn't have one in the race was the 2010 Spanish Grand Prix, Heiki Kovaleinen qualified but didn't start). There has however never been a Finnish Grand Prix, nor any likely plans for there to be one.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

Fun fact from Reddit, it has been 32 years since a Grand Prix didn't have a Finnish driver entry (the only one that didn't have one in the race was the 2010 Spanish Grand Prix, Heiki Kovaleinen qualified but didn't start). There has however never been a Finnish Grand Prix, nor any likely plans for there to be one.

*obligatory "Finland isn't real" joke*