Looking forward to the new season. I write for a website that pick an MLS team at the start of the season and follow them through the year with match reports and keeping on top of news. Last year we hit the jackpot with Columbus Crew (previously NYRB and DC United) so we've soon got the chat to come about which team it'll be in 2021. I quite like the idea of sticking with the Crew given their recruitment in recent weeks.

NCFC is dropping down to USL One instead

The New York Cosmos are also in financial jeopardy.

Meanwhile, the most important competition in US Footy, the Florida Gold Coast League, is starting soon. Joining the league this year is former USPL 2 side and best copyright trolls ever, Inter Florida FC.

Look at this fucking crest that took maybe two minutes to make. This is art.

1579892576_a.png

10 minutes ago, damshow said:

Oh my god is that italicized Times New Roman?

also the obviously ripping off the UEFA Champions League star ball and the clip art gator.

It just screams "We're obviously just using this name so if Beckham loses the trademark suit against Inter Milan, he can't use this either" and I love it.

27 minutes ago, damshow said:

The lawsuit would force all US soccer organizations with "Inter" in their name to drop "Inter" entirely so I don't see exactly how that'll block Beckham from taking this one?

Well, it's a bit more complicated than that. That's what Inter Milan wants, sure, and so far the courts have agreed that the term "Inter" is synonymous with Inter Milan, however there's still appeals processes to go by and in the end what really matters in trademark courts is potential damage to the holder's brand, and any chance of settling the manner by changing the name in a significant fashion, ie changing to Inter Florida, would be out the window.

Conversely smaller clubs might be able to claim distinction. Inter Miami and Inter Milan may be ruled as too similar, but Inter Nashville might be considered distinct enough to be safe.

OTOH, considering the recent economic woes and their effect on lower-league clubs, they may indeed capitulate so as to not drain their own coffers further.

Even if it wasn't a copyright troll, it's still an adorably low-effort crest and I love it anyway.

Related btw: https://sports.yahoo.com/mls-beckham-miami-lose-inter-170039335.html

Speaking of lower league teams struggling...

Well, that's going to piss off a lot of Inter Miami supporters on Twitter.

2 minutes ago, damshow said:

Quick, someone copyright troll them and name their team Class of '92 Miami FC

To be fair, that'd still be a better idea than grabbing the rights to Miami Fusion.

Bonne nuit, Montreal Impact. Bonjour, Club de Foot Montreal

Fun fact: Club de Foot Google Translates to "Football Club", but for some reason Club de Football translates to "Soccer Club"

Club de Foot is being laughed at because it sounds sooooo strange in English and when you consider that the majority of French clubs just use "Football Club" in their names it feels like, well, forced Frenchness from Quebec.

Everyone should just still call them the Impact.

2 hours ago, damshow said:

Club de Foot is being laughed at because it sounds sooooo strange in English and when you consider that the majority of French clubs just use "Football Club" in their names it feels like, well, forced Frenchness from Quebec.

Everyone should just still call them the Impact.

As an English/European football fan, I have to say a fair few MLS team names feel quite forced. I know some are homages but US teams called "Real" something has always felt a bit janky to me, especially when it's Salt Lake City and not even a predominantly Hispanic region, whilst "FC Dallas" is just odd. Ditto FC Cincinnatti. Inter Miami, Real Salt Lake, Houston Dynamo, even Sporting Kansas are all weirdly contrived names that come off like cosplays of European teams.

So really, Club de Foot Montreal just goes on that ever-growing list of strange MLS team names. And at least they are actually French!