Star Wars Games Thread

Hellraiser

Given that the drought of Star Wars games due do EA's apparent disinterest in the license is coming to an end now that they EA don't have the exclusive rights to make Star Wars games anymore, I thought it was appropriate to open a thread dedicated to Star Wars games. Discuss upcoming Star Wars games as well as old ones.

Here is the report from Starwars.com:

https://www.starwars.com/news/lucasfilm-games-interview

What Star Wars game franchise would like to see return? As I've already mentioned I'd like to get another game in the Jedi Knight series. 

Edited by Hellraiser

I've wanted KOTOR 3 for years to finish the story, but I think too much time has passed now for it to be the sort of thing I was hoping for. I'd be perfectly happy for Obsidian to just do a sequel with the same old engine, but that obviously wouldn't fly with today's flashy graphical showpieces. SWTOR apparently had an expansion pack that effectively acted as the next chapter in Revan's story, which is a shame because MMOs really aren't my thing. A good single-player RPG without any microtransaction bollocks would be nice, I suppose.

The Jedi Knight series is a little different because Jedi Academy didn't end on a cliffhanger. Even after trying Fallen Order, I still think that the Jedi Knight games have the best feeling lightsaber combat of any Star Wars game, so I'd be interested to see that style in a modern game.

9 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

The Jedi Knight series is a little different because Jedi Academy didn't end on a cliffhanger. Even after trying Fallen Order, I still think that the Jedi Knight games have the best feeling lightsaber combat of any Star Wars game, so I'd be interested to see that style in a modern game.

It did end on kind of a cliffhanger depending on if you chose the light side or the dark side:

Spoiler

If you pick the dark side of the Force by killing Rosh, you will claim Ragnos' scepter as your own after defeating Tavion at Ragnos' tomb. You will be confronted by Kyle Katarn, defeat him and bury him under the debris of the collapsing rubble. You then take control of Taivon's Star Destroyer. Katarn is rescued by Luke Skywalker and vows to hunt you down. 

Edited by Hellraiser

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed III would be great because

Spoiler

the second one was too short for my liking (it was missing a third act to feel like a complete game/story) and clearly set up for a third installment anyway.

I also really enjoyed Star Wars Bounty Hunter, a Boba Fett or Mandalorian-based sequel, or even a flat out remake, for that would be grand.

Edited by Naitch

A KOTOR 1 & 2 remaster (with more mod support >.>) and KOTOR 3.

And that open world game sounds neat but if it's going to be about Jedi which of course it will be... can we have one not about Jedi?

1 hour ago, Hellraiser said:

It did end on kind of a cliffhanger depending on if you chose the light side or the dark side:

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't realise that. Interesting. I don't see a direct sequel happening this many years after Jedi Academy was released, but maybe Kyle Katarn could come back in some capacity. I wouldn't hold your breath on it, mind.

1 minute ago, Bobfoc said:

I didn't realise that. Interesting. I don't see a direct sequel happening this many years after Jedi Academy was released, but maybe Kyle Katarn could come back in some capacity. I wouldn't hold your breath on it, mind.

I'd also be fine with a reboot of the series that fits into the current Star Wars universe.

1 hour ago, iDOL said:

I just picked up Jedi Fallen Order, any good?

It is an enjoyable game, albeit a bit on the short site if you ignore all the collectables. 

And regarding old franchises, I'd also love a remake of the Pod Racing game. 

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'll be shocked if a KOTOR3 happens. Not enough of the KOTOR series is Disney-canon enough for there to be a Disney-canon version, and in old-EU canon, everything important from KOTOR2 onwards has already been done between the Drew Karpyshyn novel Revan and in SWTOR. Honestly, if you want KOTOR3, the closest thing you're likely to get is the Jedi Knight story in SWTOR, and you can play the game a) completely F2P, and b) completely single player, ignoring all of the MMO trappings if you aren't interested in that.

I would love to see Force Unleashed 3 though. 2 was way too short, and finished with a blindingly obvious sequel hook that never materialised.

I'd kill for an update version of Rebellion/Supremacy. It came out at a pretty rough time in terms of what was canon, several months before Episode I, so everything just kind of went to hell after that. Still, fun game if you have the patience for it. 

Shadows of the Empire is still my all time favorite Star Wars game. Stuff like that, that incorporates known characters but gives us stories that happen outside of or concurrent with the films, would be really cool.

Also... Ubisoft? No. That game will be pretty good about a year after it's released.

A Hitman-style Bounty Hunter game, based on Boba or Mando preferably, would be something I would love. By "Hitman-style" I mean both in terms of gameplay and the contracts mode to allow a never-ending source of replayability.

I'm looking forward to Lego Skywalker Saga, I would prefer it to be more like the original Lego Star Wars game but fitting 9 films into that style would have been difficult.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, iDOL said:

I just picked up Jedi Fallen Order, any good?

I've been making my way through it over the past couple of weeks, when I'm not focused on other games like The Last of Us Part II. There are some frustrating sections, but luckily if you die, it's a near instant reload and you get to die again. The difficulty levels, at least on the lower end, feels like it makes the combat TOO easy. But all I'm really doing now is yeeting Stormtroopers off of ledges and shit with a Force pull and throw.

I'm not really all that into Star Wars besides a passing interest, so I have no idea about any of these characters or the story or locations, etc. I know Dathomir is cool, but man I get lost sometimes (later in the game, since you can only get so far on that planet at the beginning of the game since you don't have stuff like a double jump).

Battlefront 2 is free on the Epic Game Store right now until 1/21

Edited by How The Cloud Stole Christ

I've just completed Fallen Order and the story is really strong, particularly if you're a Star Wars fan going in.

What irritated me the most is the amount of creatures there were. I don't remember a part in any of the films where Luke spends two hours cutting down the same three types of monster before the plot moves forward.

I got Fallen Order and Squadrons for Christmas but I've only just opened them (finishing Uncharted 4 finally...). I spent the whole first mission of Squadrons trying to remember whether or not I usually invert my y-axis, and the answer is that I still don't know and I completely mix it up regardless. The bit where you chase someone through a tunnel took me about 20 attempts as I kept crashing into the roof or floor. Seems good though, though I do miss the 3rd person view from Rogue Squadron.