Star Wars Games Thread

Hellraiser

• 1 year later...

Apologies for the old thread bump but I need to vent. I'm finally playing Fallen Order, but either I'm getting really shit at games or the bosses are just too hard. I genuinely had to drop down two difficulty levels (to "story mode") to beat the Second Sister. It's probably just me, but combat doesn't feel anywhere near as intuitive as it does in say Spiderman or the Arkham games. I know for those you have the spidersense-y gimmick, but blocking and parrying just feels rubbish. Anyway, just griping since I moved it back up again straight after.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colly said:

Apologies for the old thread bump but I need to vent. I'm finally playing Fallen Order, but either I'm getting really shit at games or the bosses are just too hard. I genuinely had to drop down two difficulty levels (to "story mode") to beat the Second Sister. It's probably just me, but combat doesn't feel anywhere near as intuitive as it does in say Spiderman or the Arkham games. I know for those you have the spidersense-y gimmick, but blocking and parrying just feels rubbish. Anyway, just griping since I moved it back up again straight after.

The second sister is incredibly frustrating. Fallen Order was compared to its combats in parts to from software games, why it is over reliant on the parry on the blocking mechanics. One of the most frustrating things I found was some of the legendary beasts such as the spider on Kashyyyk was an absolute nightmare

• 1 month later...

I have been waiting so, so long for Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga, and I would have been devastated if it was bad.

Thankfully it's fantastic. The scale of the game, especially when compared to the previous Lego Star Wars games, is breathtaking, and the Lego humour is there in abundance as well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chris2K said:

I have been waiting so, so long for Lego Star Wars: Skywalker Saga, and I would have been devastated if it was bad.

Thankfully it's fantastic. The scale of the game, especially when compared to the previous Lego Star Wars games, is breathtaking, and the Lego humour is there in abundance as well.

The new camera angle really is a breath of fresh air as well. It changes the feel of the game entirely, and it'd be hard to go back to a LEGO game that uses the old style for sure.

9 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

I think I'll just watch the cutscenes on Youtube. That's about the extent of my interest in the game.

This reminds me of a convo I was in when I went to pick my daughter up from daycare.

Other Parent: *Sees Daycare Provider's 13 year old watching Fortnite videos on YouTube* I really don't get why you would watch someone play games on the internet, like what's the point, I just don't get it

Me: Well, I watch games online. I usually watch things like Horror games because I like them and their stories but am not very good at them - so that way I can still enjoy them.

Other Parent: Well I guess my son does watch a lot of Minecraft videos to get ideas and inspiration...<pause>...but I still just don't get it!

I don't know if it was to keep the game at a lower age rating, but some of the "censoring" they've done to the Skywalker Sage in Episode II is... unpleasant.

For example:

Spoiler

Anakin goes to the Tuskan Raider camp, fights them off-screen, they run out of a tent and Shmi is never seen or spoken to.

And perhaps worse, Mace Windu battles Jango in the arena, and Jango is killed by a clone trooper shuttle door opening on him instead of Windu's iconic decapitation.

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

I don't know if it was to keep the game at a lower age rating, but some of the "censoring" they've done to the Skywalker Sage in Episode II is... unpleasant.

For example:

Hide contents

Anakin goes to the Tuskan Raider camp, fights them off-screen, they run out of a tent and Shmi is never seen or spoken to.

And perhaps worse, Mace Windu battles Jango in the arena, and Jango is killed by a clone trooper shuttle door opening on him instead of Windu's iconic decapitation.

There's some pretty blatantly obvious stuff, including some stuff from episode 3 - that I was expecting them to handle in some other way. Besides it being a thing for an age rating it really just doesn't fit the tone of the games either, has always been like that for LEGO games.

My favourite of this has always been Boromir's death in Lego LOTR where it's just him getting hit with rubber chickens and turkey legs.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 19/04/2023 at 18:07, Hellraiser said:

Jedi: Survivor, the sequel to Fallen Order, will release soon. Anyone else hyped for this?

I rushed through Fallen Order's ending because when I was originally playing it - I stopped and kind of fell off, probably because something else came off. I was stalling the playthrough for a long time by trying to get everything and as it turns out I stopped playing in the last 1/4 of the game where the most interesting stuff happens. I was going to watch a video or something - but I got myself to play through the rest of the game and I'm super happy I did.

Really a big fan of the way that Survivor is working. I don't agree in the least with the reviews that say that they didn't change the combat enough. Most are saying that it's refined but two have just given a nebulous "but more could have been done" and I really, really don't get what they mean other than "I wanted an entirely different combat system and went in knowing that it wasn't going to be but wanted to mention it anyways" - the new form that you get pretty quickly (and the ones that come later, I'm super hyped for) are more in line with the style of gameplay I want to do.

I'm loving it, it's fixed a lot of the issues I had with Fallen Order and the openness of the world is incredible. I'm still early on, but it's safe to say this is the Star Wars game I've been dreaming of for years.

I will caveat by saying it currently has one of the worst 'performance' modes I've ever played, and really struggles to maintain its frame rate. Still, it hasn't dampened my enjoyment at all, and I'm happy to keep playing until it gets patched.

• Like 1