The 2021 Music Thread

Roster Depth Sicko No. 2

Fuck. Mars Volta are releasing a $500 vinyl boxset of all their albums and the Tremulant EP, plus a vinyl with two unreleased versions of Eunuch Provocateur and A Plauge Upon Your Hissing Children - and a demo version of the De-Loused album.

I can't justify that purchase, but I'm going to try like hell to find someone selling that De-Loused demo album. One of my favorite albums of all time, I need it. I already have the original on vinyl, and the singles from the album, so this would be a nice addition if anyone happens to put it on eBay this year or whenever.

Thought the Architects album was... perfectly fine. If you're looking for that sort of metalcore-goes-mainstream type sound, I think Parkway Drive's latter albums are better personally.

As a Sheffielder I should love BMTH but, they really don't do it for me. Last few releases have been exceptionally average art pop/ "avant-garde" stuff. The lead singer does own a very good vegan bar-meets-restaurant here though. 

4 hours ago, tristy said:

Fuck. Mars Volta are releasing a $500 vinyl boxset of all their albums and the Tremulant EP, plus a vinyl with two unreleased versions of Eunuch Provocateur and A Plauge Upon Your Hissing Children - and a demo version of the De-Loused album.

I can't justify that purchase, but I'm going to try like hell to find someone selling that De-Loused demo album. One of my favorite albums of all time, I need it. I already have the original on vinyl, and the singles from the album, so this would be a nice addition if anyone happens to put it on eBay this year or whenever.

I was listening to the Mars Volta the other day. Lovely band. Nothing tops their first two albums, but the last three albums are interesting. 

3 minutes ago, Malenko said:

While I'm way more of a ATDI guy myself De-Loused is wonderful indeed.

I love the ATDI guys and have loved all of their output (with the exception of solo albums). Did you ever listen to ANTEMASQUE? That was their solo punk album with Travis Barker on drums. Pretty good. 

*Not Travis Barker. Flea on bass. Travis Barker played some live shows with them. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RPS said:

I love the ATDI guys and have loved all of their output (with the exception of solo albums). Did you ever listen to ANTEMASQUE? That was their solo punk album with Travis Barker on drums. Pretty good. 

*Not Travis Barker. Flea on bass. Travis Barker played some live shows with them. 

I've actually heard a couple songs a few years ago. I haven't heard the full album but I may enjoy it. Just added it into my pending albums playlist n spotify. Thanks for the reminder.

I did a listen through of all TMV's stuff a few years back and, well, apparently I have different opinions to other fans... :ph34r:

Bedlam = Frances > Octahedron > Noctourniquet = De-Loused > Amputechture.

**ducks for cover**

2 hours ago, DFF said:

I did a listen through of all TMV's stuff a few years back and, well, apparently I have different opinions to other fans... :ph34r:

Bedlam = Frances > Octahedron > Noctourniquet = De-Loused > Amputechture.

**ducks for cover**

I'd go Bedlam > De-Loused > Frances > Octahedron > everything else in no particular order because meh.

De-Loused is one of the best albums of the early 2000s though, in my opinion. It took a while for me to come around on Mars Volta - was originally shown Cicatriz ESP when the album came out, didn't like it, then a few years later when Frances came out, I was sucked in by The Widow, but stayed for stuff like L'Via (because I was going through a "prog" phase anyway). And then I heard the title track and was obsessed - and Cassandra Gemini as well.

As long we agree that Amputachture is really quite naff, then we're all good haha. 

I too got into them via The Widow, though I also liked some of the other singles - Inertiatic ESP and Televators too. Took me a while to get into the more avant-garde side to them (which is, frankly, the majority of their stuff) 

It's really a bummer that they were extremely hit or miss live, too. I've seen and heard some bootlegs where they're ON POINT, and then I saw them in 2009 at Bonnaroo and it was terrible. Probably didn't help that it was in the middle of the afternoon and it was like 102 degrees outside but still.

EDIT: Oh, and I like Omar's solo albums, because sometimes you get early versions of future Mars Volta. Case in point - Rapid Fire Tollbooth becoming Goliath. And speaking of Bedlam - not sure if it was released as an extra with the album in some countries or whatever, but there's a handful of covers that are bonus tracks. TMV covering Nick Drake, Soft Machine and the Circle Jerks is wild to hear.

Edited by tristy

19 hours ago, tristy said:

It's really a bummer that they were extremely hit or miss live, too. I've seen and heard some bootlegs where they're ON POINT, and then I saw them in 2009 at Bonnaroo and it was terrible. Probably didn't help that it was in the middle of the afternoon and it was like 102 degrees outside but still.

EDIT: Oh, and I like Omar's solo albums, because sometimes you get early versions of future Mars Volta. Case in point - Rapid Fire Tollbooth becoming Goliath. And speaking of Bedlam - not sure if it was released as an extra with the album in some countries or whatever, but there's a handful of covers that are bonus tracks. TMV covering Nick Drake, Soft Machine and the Circle Jerks is wild to hear.

I remember Kerrang reviewing a random club show of theirs. They gave it a "1 or 5" depending on what you want or expect from a live show. Apparently the entire concert was a single 60 minute improvised jam :lol:

3 hours ago, DFF said:

I remember Kerrang reviewing a random club show of theirs. They gave it a "1 or 5" depending on what you want or expect from a live show. Apparently the entire concert was a single 60 minute improvised jam :lol:

"Abortion: The Other White Meat" is a great 43 minute improv jam that's kinda famous in the Mars Volta bootleg community. They did it at the KROQ Weenie Roast festival in like, 2005. I'm not into jam bands and stuff at all, but I'll listen to them vibe out for an hour or so.

If you watch the video of the performance - Cedric is writing on a typewriter for the entire show. The rumor is that he was typing the lyrics to "The Widow" over and over, since KROQ demanded they at least play that song.

Edited by tristy

• 2 weeks later...

Darkside, the project of Nicolas Jaar and David Harrington, are releasing a new album. They released a song for their new album at the end of 2020.

This song is so great. I put off listening to it because I wanted to listen to it with the whole album, but I cracked last night and listened to it. I have listened to it 5 times since. The slow atmospheric build up in the song and the pay off of the guitar solo is life. Their first album Psychic is a must hear and I am thinking their new album is going to be exceptional as well. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, metalman said:

Oh god I’d completely forgotten about them! Will definitely check that out. Psychic was so good.

Have you ever given Nicolas Jaar's stuff a listen? I don't know if you would be into it.  think he masterfully bridges the gap between dance, electronic, ambient and experimental music, but it comes down to how much ambient and experimental music you are fine with. 

The new DVNE album is brilliant. Fans of prog metal should check it out.