EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: The Results

GoGo Yubari

re: the Schitt's Creek discourse, even at the point I'm at (end of S2/start of S3) my feeling about the show is really more "this is a pleasant, well-written show with characters I like" more than it being a genuinely amazing show. Like, the way it finally ended up cleaning up at the Emmy's last year felt a bit like overcompensating, but then I think it succeeds in the same way a show like Modern Family succeeds where it's obviously a smartly-written show that also appeals really broadly. It's the kind of show I can easily put on to eat breakfast to. I kind of had the same feeling with the couple of episodes of Kim's Convenience I watched, more or less.

2 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

I don't think any of the shows I've listed have shown up yet. That's either really good or bad!

oh, whoops, forgot to put the "shows Ruki would watch" filter on, hopefully this update will compensate accordingly.

DgNevzC.jpg

30. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power (60 points) (Last Year: NR)

1HKmSiN.jpg

29. Batwoman (66 points) (Last Year: NR)

77zksrH.jpg

28. My Hero Academia (69 points) (Last Year: #33)

9Y8abMc.jpg

26 (tie). The Last Dance (72 points) (Last Year: NR)

4pJglPo.jpg

26 (tie). Star Trek: Picard (72 points) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: Hubris to think that you can control things. That's why god created tornadoes; to remind us.

• Like 2

Batwoman was so bad, even by DC standards. Yeesh. The Last Dance and Picard were both great though, so a decent enough list. 

23 hours ago, Azazel said:

Schitt's Creek is a good show that has some really amazing moments and I think Alexis is an amazing character.  I completely understand why it cleaned up at the Emmy's after that final season.

Yeah, that last season is pretty much television perfection. They somehow managed to wrap up everything and not in the way I had envisioned when I started the show. Or really even when the fifth season ended.  

On 10/02/2021 at 10:06, Josh Mulaney said:

I have seen none of these.

oooh, she-ra seems like it would be up your "i just finished steven universe and want something new" alley!

On 10/02/2021 at 10:06, Josh Mulaney said:

oooh, she-ra seems like it would be up your "i just finished steven universe and want something new" alley!

Only one of the last batch I watched was My Hero Academia, which was I think the final show to get cut from my top 15. I just didn't like the school festival stuff that much, even though Gentle Criminal was a great change-of-pace villain. "His Start" is an all-time great episode, though, and I can't wait for the next season to come around later this year.

As a bit of housekeeping/taking notes, She-Ra was probably the show that benefitted the least from the format change. It would have been either #20 or #21 under the old format because it was on two ballots at #1 and that was it. Top 30 off of two ballots is still good, though! On to the next batch.

0OVZHaP.jpg

25. Stargirl (78 points) (Last Year: NR)

FPW4EAp.jpg

24. Fargo (81 points) (Last Year: NR)

24Gujpp.jpg

23. Ted Lasso (84 points) (Last Year: NR)

cPMGWZV.jpg

22. The Flash (90 points) (Last Year: #43)

pIVWPPF.jpg

21. Upload (108 points) (Last Year: NR)

Next Time, on EWB's Top 50 TV Shows of 2020: You know, eternal suffering sounds good on paper, but as a viewing experience, it's just kind of... eh. So, we're done. I'm canceling your show.

• Like 4

I would love to watch Stargirl but there's no way I'm getting another streaming service. I'm just waiting for HBO Max and Disney+ to get here so I can eventually probably cancel Amazon. I might keep Netflix, but I'm a bit "meh" on that.

Ditto for Fargo, we don't get FX here and as far as I'm aware it's not on any streaming service either? I'd love to watch it beginning again from the 1st season, to be honest. 

Ted Lasso looks funs, but like Josh said I'm not just getting AppleTV for one show. 

The Flash getting an even higher placement than last year baffles me, but eh, whatever, if people enjoy it more power to them. Seriously just watching it last season for completion's sake, might drop it this season.

Upload was fine. I didn't think it was very good, but it had its positive moments as well. It felt a bit like a little on an incomplete idea that was rushed for more content.

Basically only 4 from my list has made it so far, with a bunch I didn't feel would have made it has (But I'm glad the Last Dance did because that was fucking amazing). Not looking too good for shows I like :( I'm assuming Bojack, BCS and the Good Place make the top 5, though, with the Plot Against America, LoT and the Crown sneaking somehow into the top 10. Holding out hope that Kipo places super high, though, it's lovely. Might just be Insecure and Wizards that don't make it since I don't know anyone else that still watches them :( 

I have Apple TV because of a deal when I got my new phone, and Apple keeps extending it. At first it was "free Apple TV for a year with your phone!", then it was "free until FEBRUARY of 2021!!" and now I believe it's "FREE until APRIL 2021!"

I still have watched 0 things on it.

Also, 

On 11/02/2021 at 14:47, Josh Mulaney said:

7 minutes ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

I have Apple TV because of a deal when I got my new phone, and Apple keeps extending it. At first it was "free Apple TV for a year with your phone!", then it was "free until FEBRUARY of 2021!!" and now I believe it's "FREE until APRIL 2021!"

I still have watched 0 things on it.

Also, 

Watch Ted Lasso!