2021 NFL Off-Season Thread

Lineker

2 hours ago, Meacon Keaton said:

Yeah, he's in his mid-30's and has always had a body size that doesn't tend to last long in the NFL. He'll be fine if he doesn't get tackled. 

I think he's last few injuries with the Eagles were non-contact injuries.

Stafford might only get a single quarter of a game out of Jackson, but in that one quarter he'll have like 125 yards and 2 TDs

• Admin

The NFL Draft will mostly return to its pre-pandemic form at the Cleveland lakefront April 29-May 1, with prospects invited to appear in person, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announcing picks from a stage and a large “Draft Experience” with brand displays, musical performances and other fan attractions. Mask wearing, social distancing and capacity limits will be enforced, and one key element will remain remote: teams will select their picks entirely from their local draft rooms, with no on-site “Selection Square.”

The event will hammer home a pro-vaccine message, ideally adding to the sense of hope implicit in every draft, said NFL Exec VP/Club Business & League Events Peter O’Reilly. “This draft in particular feels like it represents hope beyond that, because we hope to role model and showcase a bit of what a brighter future continues to look like, in terms of being able to do live, in-person events safely,” O’Reilly said in an exclusive interview detailing the league’s plans publicly for the first time.

The major unknown yet is the legal capacity, to be set in talks with Ohio and Cleveland political authorities as the pandemic picture clarifies in the coming weeks. However, officials are confident many thousands will be allowed into the open-air venues. “We have been characterizing it as a ‘large, live, in-person event,” said Greater Cleveland Sports Commission CEO David Gilbert. While officials will not project a firm number yet, “certainly no matter what it would be the largest event in this city in many years, certainly since the ('16) Republican Convention,” Gilbert said.

The general public, including those not yet vaccinated, will be allowed into the Draft Experience, set for FirstEnergy Stadium and the broad plaza between the stadium, the Great Lakes Science Center and the Rock ‘n’ Roll HOF, all located just north of downtown Cleveland. Fans seeking entrance must download the NFL OnePass app, which includes a mandatory COVID health survey.

The league will erect a stage and theater at the northern edge of the space just off Lake Erie, where attendance will be limited to invited, vaccinated guests. O’Reilly said a number of prospects “not too far off from what it’s been in recent years” will be invited. In ‘18, 22 prospects appeared live; in ‘19, 23 did. Inside the Green Room, presented by NFL sponsor Lowe’s, they will be given their own space for about 10 close family or friends, distanced and divided from other prospects, O’Reilly said.

Like at the Super Bowl in Tampa, vaccinated fans will have special privileges. All 32 teams will invite 12 vaccinated fans and other special guests to join the “inner circle” seating near the stage. League sponsor Subway will sponsor the inner circle. Also, the Browns and the Cleveland host committee will be reaching out to “invite specific sets of vaccinated folks to attend within the theater or just behind the theater,” O’Reilly said.

The event will push a pro-vaccine message -- emphasizing that shots are important both to ending the pandemic itself and as a way for fans to regain access to sporting events more quickly. “It’s important to highlight and emphasize that getting vaccinated does come with the ability to have the types of experiences that hopefully we’ll all get back to soon,” O’Reilly said.

The league hopes to keep some of the unique flavor of the all-remote ‘20 draft by sending digital video kits to prospects who do not make the cut to appear in person, allowing fans to see into their homes and for Goodell is interact with those players chosen in later rounds. Cameras will also be in teams’ draft rooms.

While organizers expect a robust crowd, local fans interested in attending must have tempered expectations given the ongoing pandemic, Gilbert said. “Not everybody who wants to get in will be able to get in,” he noted. The NFL pioneered the concept of bifurcated rules for vaccinated and non-vaccinated fans at the Super Bowl in Tampa in early February, but the percentage of potential attendees with a shot figures to be far higher by late April. In Ohio, eligibility expanded to all people over 40 on Friday, and on March 29, anyone over 16 will be eligible. The primarily outdoors-nature of the event also adds to their confidence in high capacity limits.

As of today, about 24% of Ohioans had received one shot, with 13.9% fully vaccinated, according to the N.Y. Times data tracker. As of Saturday, Cuyahoga County was averaging 15 new COVID-19 cases per 100,000 people daily, down from its peak of 79 per 100,000 in December, according to the Times. Currently, Ohio regulations cap outdoor sporting events at 30% of capacity.

Other details laid out by O’Reilly include:

• The general admission Draft Experience will encompass the open areas to the east of First Energy Stadium and the stadium itself. The areas will include large video screens, brand activations, fan engagement displays, and fans will be allowed onto the Browns’ playing field to attempt a field goal.
  • Subway, Lowe’s, Bud Light and Panini America are among the NFL sponsors that have committed to a presence in Cleveland so far, O’Reilly said. More will announce plans soon.
  • The Rock ‘n’ Roll HOF will host the draft red carpet and musical performances. The NFL will be producing a special exhibit at the Hall dedicated to the history of Super Bowl halftime shows.
  • The Great Lakes Science Center will host all media.
  • More information on attendance will be published in the coming weeks.

• Admin

HOUSTON -- With the number of lawsuits against Deshaun Watson reaching 16 on Tuesday, the quarterback's lawyer, Rusty Hardin, said in a statement that his law firm has "strong evidence" showing that one of the lawsuits alleging sexual assault is false and that it "calls into question the legitimacy of the other cases as well."

Hardin added that he believes "any allegation that Deshaun forced a woman to commit a sexual act is completely false."

After two more were filed late Tuesday afternoon, there are now 16 lawsuits filed by Houston lawyer Tony Buzbee against Watson alleging sexual assault and inappropriate conduct. The 14th lawsuit was filed Monday night and appeared on the Harris County District Clerk's website on Tuesday morning, while Nos. 15 and 16, alleging similar behavior by Watson, were filed Tuesday afternoon.

In his statement Tuesday, issued before lawsuits No. 15 and 16 were filed, Hardin said that Buzbee has "orchestrated a circus-like atmosphere by using social media to publicize 14 'Jane Doe' lawsuits," and that the lawyer has also refused Hardin's requests "to confidentially provide the names of the plaintiffs so we can fully investigate their claims" against the Houston Texans quarterback.

Regarding the case that was singled out by Hardin in his statement, Watson's attorney released a signed affidavit from Watson's marketing manager, Bryan Burney. In that declaration, Burney said he spoke with an individual he believes is the plaintiff in the third case filed by Buzbee.

"In January of this year, a woman attempted to blackmail Deshaun by demanding $30,000 in exchange for her 'indefinite silence' about what she stated was a consensual encounter," the statement said.

The lawsuit referenced alleges that Watson sent a direct message to the plaintiff over Instagram and then scheduled a massage for Dec. 28, 2020, at an office building in Houston.

After leaving the room, the massage therapist alleges that she returned to find Watson lying on the massage table on his stomach with just a small towel covering his buttocks. She alleges that when Watson turned over midway through the massage, he "got more aggressive, forcefully telling her to move her hand down to his pubic area."

The plaintiff alleges that she felt "intimidated and threatened" and "was afraid of what someone like Watson could do if she did not submit to his demands." She says in the lawsuit that Watson made it clear, repeatedly, that he could "help, or hurt, her career." The lawsuit alleges that Watson forced the woman into oral sex and says that she "did not consent."

Burney said in the declaration that the woman said she wanted to be paid $30,000 "for what she referred to as 'indefinite silence' about her encounter with Deshaun." Burney said in the declaration that the woman told him it was "a consensual encounter."

Buzbee on Tuesday said Watson and Burney "repeatedly insisted that Jane Doe sign" a non-disclosure agreement, and that she refused to do so. Buzbee also questioned whether Watson could "keep track of" all his massage sessions.

"There are many facts here, that we will put in public filings, that Mr. Hardin might not be aware of," said Buzbee, who added that he hoped to provide additional details by Friday.

In an Instagram post Saturday, Buzbee said he would submit affidavits and evidence from several women to the Houston Police Department and the Houston district attorney Monday morning. He also said he will request that a grand jury consider the evidence and determine whether charges should be brought against Watson by the state of Texas.

Dane Schiller, a spokesperson for the Harris County district attorney, said Monday that it would be "inappropriate" for the DA's office to comment on the lawsuits against Watson.

"It would be inappropriate for the District Attorney's Office to comment on a civil lawsuit, and we refrain from publicly discussing allegations in any matter until and if a criminal charge is filed; we do this out of fairness to all," Schiller said in a statement.

Last week, NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy said "the matter is under review" pertaining to the league's personal conduct policy, and the Texans said in a statement that they would stay in close contact with the NFL during its investigation.

• Admin

Trent Williams says he was near Kansas City Chiefs deal before San Francisco 49ers got him back with record contract

HENDERSON, Nev. -- Marcus Mariota has agreed to a contract restructure to return to the Las Vegas Raiders as Derek Carr's backup at quarterback, ESPN has confirmed.

Mariota, who signed a two-year, $17.6 million free-agent contract with the Raiders last March, was scheduled to make $10.625 million in base salary in 2021 while carrying a salary cap number of $15.35 million.

NFL Network was first to report the restructured deal, a one-year contract worth $3.5 million that could top out at $8 million if incentives are met.

The 2014 Heisman Trophy winner and the No. 2 overall pick of the 2015 draft, Mariota dealt with myriad ankle and shoulder injuries in training camp and started the season on injured reserve.

He appeared in one game for the Raiders last season, replacing an injured Carr in a Week 15 overtime loss to the Los Angeles Chargers while throwing for 226 yards and a touchdown, with an interception, in completing 17 of 28 passes. He also rushed for 88 yards and a TD (with eight first downs) on nine carries.

Mariota, 27, has been the subject of much trade and/or cut speculation this offseason, but the QB market seems to have dried up as of late.

"I'm just excited to be a Raider," Mariota, a Hawaii native, told KHON-TV on Tuesday. "Everyone talks about Las Vegas being the ninth [Hawaiian] island and for me, this is the closest I can get to playing for my hometown. That in itself was just such a special opportunity and I'm just excited to come back and get ready to go."

Mariota was also asked about taking a paycut.

"I think at the end of the day, I just focus on controlling what I can control, and that's the product on the field," he said. "So, every single day I wake up, I train, I get ready to go and at the end of the day we're very blessed to play this game for a living. A lot of us make a really good amount of money and for me, I just love playing the game. And the excitement, the opportunity to be a Raider, kind of overcame all of that.

"To be here in Vegas, to be a part of this organization meant a lot more to me and I'm excited to be able to come back."

• Admin

ASHBURN, Va. -- The Washington Football Team name has gone from being a generic placeholder to one that will be strongly considered as a permanent one. As the organization inches along in its rebranding, team president Jason Wright said fans have warmed to the name.

Wright stressed that there is not a leading contender for the new name. However, the fact that some fans have warmed to WFT highlights what Wright said they want most in a name: a strong connection to the past.

Wright has previously said, and reiterated during an interview with ESPN on Tuesday, that Washington Football Team will remain in 2021. He said the permanent name would be in place for 2022.

The organization announced in July that it would retire its former name, which it had used for 87 years.

"There are a set of folks that have warmed to the Washington Football Team," Wright said of input the organization has received. "Some of the things that are emerging from that are the Washington Football Team has something that ties deeply to our history. It feels like that isn't jettisoning all the things we have been in the past, whereas something that's completely new might feel that way.

"It's important for a substantial part of our fan base to feel that this is a continuation of something versus a complete reset, something brand new."

Wright also said there's a chance a new name could be announced before the end of the 2021 season, although no timetable exists.

"The sooner the better -- that's one thing I hear from the fan base," he said. "I would like it sooner than later, but it's hard to commit to timing because the importance here is thoroughness, rigor and ensuring that we have been inclusive of all the folks that we need to listen to. That works against speed in some ways, but we're moving as fast as possible."

Wright said the team has received 15,000 submissions -- from 60 countries and six continents (all but Antarctica) -- regarding the name or a new logo.

The organization will continue to accept submissions on the name and logo through April 5.

Washington has been active in seeking input from fans, saying the team long ago made the decision to keep the burgundy-and-gold color scheme based on fan opinion. ESPN reported in July that Washington was likely to keep the color scheme, and nothing in the process has altered that thinking.

Wright said he will be on the social media site Clubhouse on Wednesday morning to discuss the rebranding. The organization will have a series called "Making the Brand" -- a play on MTV's old "Making the Band" series -- to take fans inside the process.

Wright said the rebranding goes beyond just a new name and logo, citing the game-day experience -- everything from entertainment to parking to concessions, and even ticketing and Washington's charitable foundation. The cheerleader program was changed in favor of a coed dance team -- Wright said he was a dancer in musical theater before sticking with football -- and the marching band, which also paused, will return with a new look as well.

Wright and his team has communicated with alumni, fans overseas, young fans, the military and longtime fans. He said owner Dan Snyder and his wife, Tanya, aren't involved in the process on a daily basis but have roles akin to being on the "board of directors." Snyder was a fan of the team long before he bought the franchise in 1999.

"The pressure is felt from the fan base to us," Wright said. "Dan feels it. I feel it. Our entire team feels it. This fan base deserves something that is thoughtful, that has taken their input into consideration very deeply."

Washington will use focus groups as well. Wright also listens to local sports talk radio and podcasts to gain as much insight as possible into what others are thinking. He actively engages on social media, especially Twitter.

"How can I steward a rebrand if I don't understand deeply held beliefs?" Wright said.

The team is approaching the expiration of its FedEx Field lease after the 2027 season and can use feedback gathered now when it comes to plans for a new stadium.

"Part of our rebrand will incorporate technology and things that Gen Z are engaged with, whether that's legal gambling or fantasy football or VR technologies, ways to engage socially, how to bring those folks in," Wright said. "The whole league and sports in general need Gen Z to remain as robust and healthy as it is today."

Living near WFT country most of the mockery doesn't come from Washington fans. I think most are fine with it, they just want to win (who doesn't).

Though Dan Snyder basically saying it's popular and might stick around, getting people on the fence to go all-in and buy merch, only to then announce a new nickname would be highly typical of him. But so would keeping the nickname to avoid pissing off the vocal group of people pushing for Red Tails to honor the Tuskegee airmen since I highly doubt he wants that nickname.

15 minutes ago, damshow said:

I get the sense a lot of teams realized the cap is going to dramatically increase over the next couple seasons so it made it a lot easier to sign guys to contracts that are spread out and back loaded.

It's just a one year deal for Williams but it looks like the nickel CB market isn't too great so ultimately makes sense. I'm surprised he's not a Jet, though. So far Saleh hasn't poached any players from the 49ers.