Mass Edit Start Date

Yeah, it's manual only, and it's a huge pain in the pass. I've given up on real world games because of it. If Adam were a better coder than he is, then the "job history" section could be more than a cosmetic feature and actually contribute to aging or de-aging databases.

13 hours ago, Nerf said:

Yeah, it's manual only, and it's a huge pain in the pass. I've given up on real world games because of it. If Adam were a better coder than he is, then the "job history" section could be more than a cosmetic feature and actually contribute to aging or de-aging databases.

That would cause all sorts of problems, to be fair

On 24/03/2021 at 22:22, iDOL said:

That would cause all sorts of problems, to be fair

Now? Sure, but he built TEW 2020 from the ground up supposedly with the intention of thinking bigger. I'm no big city game developer, but I don't see how it would be particularly difficult to code some kind of language that references the job history section to populate in-game rosters. The workers section already has a similar mechanic with debut dates, and I believe so does title history?

"If Date Is [X] Then Active Is [Yes]" isn't THAT much easier to program than "If Date Is [X] Then Contract With [X]."

Edited by Nerf

2 hours ago, Nerf said:

Now? Sure, but he built TEW 2020 from the ground up supposedly with the intention of thinking bigger. I'm no big city game developer, but I don't see how it would be particularly difficult to code some kind of language that references the job history section to populate in-game rosters. The workers section already has a similar mechanic with debut dates, and I believe so does title history?

"If Date Is [X] Then Active Is [Yes]" isn't THAT much easier to program than "If Date Is [X] Then Contract With [X]."

It would just create a massive amount of work for modders for the benefit of basically setting up a rough list of workers. I've been going through and adding job histories and can already see why most modders leave them out as it is a vast amount of research and takes so much time to input. 

• It would basically require all mod makers to input the complete employment history of each worker up until the start date of the game. Again, many don't even bother due to the amount of time it takes to do so. 
  • Employment histories don't account for face/heel disposition or gimmicks (and if it did that's creating a ton of more work again) so you'd still manually have to go in and set these. 
  • It really only accounts for vague start dates (ex. January 2004) so you would still have to research who is on the actual roster
  • Not to mention the types of contracts (PPA, Touring, Etc), Promotions that aren't in the database (no one is going to want to create all of those, even if you could simply use placeholders), momentum, gimmick ratings, and other factors.
  • The contract function operates independently from the employment history function before the game starts (thus why you have to set an open ended Job History entry with the current promotion if you want the worker's start date set correctly).  

As for the original question, if the mod is set up correctly and well researched, the contracts shouldn't have the start date of the game world (for example, all WWE workers in a January 2004 game shouldn't have a contract start date of January 2004) they should reflect when the person actually started/debuted on the roster. So if you're playing a 2004 game, Chavo Guerrero's contract start date should be March 2001.

On 26/03/2021 at 14:15, iDOL said:

It would just create a massive amount of work for modders for the benefit of basically setting up a rough list of workers. I've been going through and adding job histories and can already see why most modders leave them out as it is a vast amount of research and takes so much time to input. 

• It would basically require all mod makers to input the complete employment history of each worker up until the start date of the game. Again, many don't even bother due to the amount of time it takes to do so. 
  • Employment histories don't account for face/heel disposition or gimmicks (and if it did that's creating a ton of more work again) so you'd still manually have to go in and set these. 
  • It really only accounts for vague start dates (ex. January 2004) so you would still have to research who is on the actual roster
  • Not to mention the types of contracts (PPA, Touring, Etc), Promotions that aren't in the database (no one is going to want to create all of those, even if you could simply use placeholders), momentum, gimmick ratings, and other factors.
  • The contract function operates independently from the employment history function before the game starts (thus why you have to set an open ended Job History entry with the current promotion if you want the worker's start date set correctly).  

As for the original question, if the mod is set up correctly and well researched, the contracts shouldn't have the start date of the game world (for example, all WWE workers in a January 2004 game shouldn't have a contract start date of January 2004) they should reflect when the person actually started/debuted on the roster. So if you're playing a 2004 game, Chavo Guerrero's contract start date should be March 2001.

I some get your points, but here's the thing, it's not a necessity. The option to leave job history blank will still be there as it is now, I'm just suggesting that job history has an actual function so that if anyone did want to make an exhaustive database (which a lot of people do, irrespective of the actual quality), it could actually aid the process of making historical mods.

Does it require more work up front? Yes. But would it save time on building other mods? Also yes. When you're creating a historical mod you're basically starting from scratch. You can't tell me your life wouldn't have been easier if instead of manually adding contracts for your 2004 mod, you could have just set a 2019 mod back 15 years and populated an accurate list of contracts. It's more work on behalf of whoever originally does it, but less work on behalf of literally anyone else who uses other databases as the foundation of their historical mods.

2 hours ago, Nerf said:

I some get your points, but here's the thing, it's not a necessity. The option to leave job history blank will still be there as it is now, I'm just suggesting that job history has an actual function so that if anyone did want to make an exhaustive database (which a lot of people do, irrespective of the actual quality), it could actually aid the process of making historical mods.

Does it require more work up front? Yes. But would it save time on building other mods? Also yes. When you're creating a historical mod you're basically starting from scratch. You can't tell me your life wouldn't have been easier if instead of manually adding contracts for your 2004 mod, you could have just set a 2019 mod back 15 years and populated an accurate list of contracts. It's more work on behalf of whoever originally does it, but less work on behalf of literally anyone else who uses other databases as the foundation of their historical mods.

Honestly I don’t think it would be easier, but I’m at the point where I feel like if I don’t comb over every detail (I can’t imagine how off the stats and pop would be going from 2019 to 2004) then it’s not quality. Plus, I feel like the only real benefit would be an inaccurate and unfinished list of workers that you could get with 20 mins on cagematch anyway.