2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

3 minutes ago, Buschie Lee said:

They protected his injury diagnosis like it was the nuclear codes for the longest time. Strange situation.

Also just realized we’re due for a new thread now that we’ve got a normal season underway.

We can carry the convo over here. That's how the Yankees treated Stanton and, lesser so but still a bit, Judge's injuries. Even last year, all they said was Luke Voit had "foot stuff". :lol: Teams are just weird about injury stuff.

• Haha 1

It’s funny because I mean, nobody‘s medical stuff should be public record unless the player OKs it.  But when a team is intentionally vague it’s inevitably going to spark media speculation, especially with the New York teams.

They were so quiet on Lowrie’s status I felt he might’ve fell into the Springfield Mystery Spot like Ozzie Smith.

• Like 1

If I'm the opposing manager, I want to get the umps to check Ohtani's bat after that. 

Not because I think he cheated. I'd just want all my guys to be using that same brand of bat. What an amazing sound. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think Texas is trying to kill the Jays. Like literally. First their pitcher hits two players in a row and now a deflected bat takes out Jansen! But he’s a warrior so he stays in the game.

• Like 1

Brian O’Nora is having a terrible game behind the plate today.  Then I realized he was the ump arrested in a human trafficking sex sting operation this December.

As if Angel Hernandez, Joe West, and CB Bucknor weren’t already proof that the umpire union is basically unstoppable.

6 hours ago, Buschie Lee said:

Just felt my anxiety spike.

IMAGINE LIVING 10 MINUTES AWAY FROM THERE

This kind of stupidity is why I went out of my way to get vaccinated as quickly as possible.  Thankfully within a week they'll stop seeing crowds like that, cause the Rangers suck.

• Like 4

Given how data driven the league is now, I'd love to know why it's still universally accepted around front offices that managing innings is the best way to limit a pitcher's workload vs. worrying about their pitch count.

To me, it seems that not all innings are created equal. But even the "smart" teams place a great concern on innings so I'd guess there's a science there. Maybe it's the potential strain of every time a pitcher has to come back out of the dugout cold to warm up again? I don't know.

It'll be a talking point this year because coming off a season where the league leader threw 84 innings, every pitcher in baseball is going to be on an innings watch. Obvious playoff teams like the Yankees and Dodgers might not fully take the harnesses off of their guys until the All Star Break.