2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

18 minutes ago, DMN said:

So, this might be a dumb question, but judging by his numbers, if I go to a random Angels' game I should get to see Ohtani bat, yes?

Got tickets to Dodgers/Giants next week and Angels/A's a week after that. Be nice to make it out to a game again.

I'm pretty sure there's a good chance you'll see Ohtani bat, yeah. I'd love to see him on the mound, personally.

3 hours ago, DMN said:

So, this might be a dumb question, but judging by his numbers, if I go to a random Angels' game I should get to see Ohtani bat, yes?

Got tickets to Dodgers/Giants next week and Angels/A's a week after that. Be nice to make it out to a game again.

Really good chance you'll see him bat. He rarely is out of the lineup, I think he only hasn't played in 5 games this year and of those I'm not sure which ones he was pitching during.

If he pitches he might bat too, though you might see him only bat a couple times before getting pulled.

Rob Manfred said the plan is to hopefully return the rules to pre-pandemic norms, eliminating 7-inning double headers and the runner on 2nd in extra innings rule in 2022.

Of course, you know Manfred loves anything that shortens a game so it's likely just posturing, especially since lot of managers and position players have been on record about liking the shortened double headers.  The fans hate it, but they're not playing 18 innings in the field or trying to find a way to get 18 innings out of a pitching staff in today's game.

The players hate the extra inning rule, but it'll be one of those things where the league ties it to the double header rule and it ends up being all-or-nothing during CBA negotiations.

14 hours ago, CLDY said:

I'm pretty sure there's a good chance you'll see Ohtani bat, yeah. I'd love to see him on the mound, personally.

11 hours ago, damshow said:

Really good chance you'll see him bat. He rarely is out of the lineup, I think he only hasn't played in 5 games this year and of those I'm not sure which ones he was pitching during.

If he pitches he might bat too, though you might see him only bat a couple times before getting pulled.

I'd love to see him pitch, but those tickets are a lot more expensive, lol.

On 12/07/2021 at 18:03, Szumi - A Polack said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/mlb-angels-esp-ns-stephen-a-smith-getting-roasted-for-xenophobic-rant-about-shohei-ohtani-204655616.html

So Stephen A Smith was pretty much straight racist and xenophobic about Ohtani. On Twitter he then pretty much refused to apologize and then doubled down while essentially implying because he's black, he's not being offensive to other groups/being racist.

He is one guy I would genuinely be thrilled to see fired.

Oh, I absolutely cannot stand Stephen A. I hated that when Skip Bayless left ESPN, they stuck Max Kellerman, who is absolutely fantastic (used to watch I, Max as often as I could when it was on), with him on First Take. Stephen A. also clearly doesn't know shit about most sports except basketball. 

Well, I stuck it out til Taijuan‘s inning and got to watch him get a nice strikeout on a great contact hitter in Merrifield only to immediately get taken deep by a guy hitting below the Mendoza line.  That was fun.

Anyway, beyond being ugly and a slap in the face of tradition, it’s impossible to tell who is on the field with everyone in the same uniform because Joe Buck has no interest in actually calling the action as he’s too busy interviewing players all game.

18 minutes ago, damshow said:

Don't know why the NL even bothers showing up for these things. Heading for 26 out of 33 for the AL.

The AL’s dominance in these things infuriated me when WS home field was at stake.  Even in years where the Mets were clear non-factors, I just hated something so important being tied to an exhibition game.

It is kinda funny though.  I know the AL has generally been viewed as having better, deeper teams for years.  So much so that a stacked team like the Dodgers is described as “having an AL lineup”.  But you’d think a one-off game like this would shake out a bit more evenly with the best players in the sport out there.

32 minutes ago, damshow said:

I thought the Yankees were largely vaccinated?

They were over the 85% vaccinated threshold but not all of their players were.

Moreover, it’s come out that one of the positive tests was Aaron Judge, who was just at the All Star Game.  Every unvaccinated player at that game is at risk and even some of the vaccinated players could possibly get it and pass it to unvaccinated teammates.

League could be fucked.

1 hour ago, Buschie Kay said:

They were over the 85% vaccinated threshold but not all of their players were.

Moreover, it’s come out that one of the positive tests was Aaron Judge, who was just at the All Star Game.  Every unvaccinated player at that game is at risk and even some of the vaccinated players could possibly get it and pass it to unvaccinated teammates.

League could be fucked.

but Buschie liek...his rights, dude! *eyeroll*

1 hour ago, damshow said:

Any return for Joc Pederson in 2021 is probably a good return.

Probably better than what they could get for Nerd Pederson or Theatre Kid Pederson

• Haha 1

I saw someone on Twitter say that the Mets and Bryant would be perfect, and someone else quote-tweeted it all "Not happening, then"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, CLDY said:

I saw someone on Twitter say that the Mets and Bryant would be perfect, and someone else quote-tweeted it all "Not happening, then"

Yeah, cause it was Bob Nightengale who is wrong about basically everything.

I know they don't want to lose a weekend of revenue and you can't really count on them to do the right thing but MLB just postponing this entire weekend and moving the games to the Monday-Wednesday at the end of the season probably makes sense.  Give everyone in the league a chance to be re-tested after this Aaron Judge stuff.  Of course some guys could be delayed positive but at least it could help mitigate risk of a widespread outbreak.

Meanwhile in the KBO, four players on the NC Dinos got slapped with 72 game suspensions for violating COVID protocol and the Dinos CEO was effectively forced to step down.