2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

6 minutes ago, damshow said:

Cleveland has statues called the Guardians of Traffic. That's the alleged source of the name.

They should lean into it and put a statue at first and third base. Guardians of the Base Traffic. Make them mechanical so that when a Cleveland player hits a dinger, they wave the batter around the basepaths... and when an opposing team player hits one, they shoot frickin' laser beams out of their eyes.

1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Should have been the Cleveland Rocks

If the Rockies didn't exist it probably would have been.

4 minutes ago, Mx. Canadian Destroyer said:

I like it.  No guarantee Hill stays healthy and he's another guy whose spin rate has dropped drastically since the sticky stuff crackdown, but they're desperate for arms and it cost them nothing.  As long as it doesn't preclude them from getting another starter, no harm in this at all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maxx said:

Logo is good, name sucks.  Stay out of the XFL’s territory jerks!  Should have been Spiders

The logo looks like something that could have been from a late 80's to mid-90's video game.

They probably avoided going back to Spiders since that was their name when they had the worst team in baseball history.

As to the Guardians name, it is from the Guardians of Traffic sculptures on the Hope Memorial Bridge. The band Mushroomhead is from Cleveland, and their current lead singer wears a mask that's based on the Guardians of Traffic.

Not one of my favorite songs by them, but this video has the best look at his mask. 

Luis Rojas once again proving that he is lost in terms of in-game management.

Rich Hill makes his Met debut, throws five scoreless innings on only 49 pitches, facing the Jays lineup two times through. Jays hitters looked confused/frustrated at the junk he was throwing up there.

But whatever stats there are on pitchers faring badly the third time through, you can multiply those for Hill. Dude throws a big slow curveball and fastball that averages 88 MPH. Fun to watch but there's no way big league hitters can get fooled by him a third time, and there's a reason his recent teams never entertained the idea of letting him go a third time through no matter the pitch count.

Rojas lets Hill bat for himself with 2 outs and 2 runners on, killing a scoring chance. Predictably he gets lit up the next inning and exits the 6th inning with the bases loaded and no outs.

Padres get:  2B Adam Frazier

Pirates get:  SS Tucupita Marcano, OF Jack Suwinski, RHP Michell Miliano

Frazier will likely play a super utility role in 2B and the OF for the Padres, he also is under contract for 2022.  Padres really gearing up for that playoff run, good for them.

12 hours ago, Buschie Kay said:

Padres get:  2B Adam Frazier

Pirates get:  SS Tucupita Marcano, OF Jack Suwinski, RHP Michell Miliano

Frazier will likely play a super utility role in 2B and the OF for the Padres, he also is under contract for 2022.  Padres really gearing up for that playoff run, good for them.

I like this trade for both teams. Suwinski has really opened some eyes this season, despite not being ranked as a top prospect coming into the year. Marcano has a real chance to be a future Adam Frazier-type player for the Pirates, though he doesn't sport the same power with his bat.

Frazier is a great guy to have around, but I feel like he's priced himself out of Pittsburgh. They would have ended up having to move him next season, and the return would have been less because I believe he's only controllable through next season. Even as productive as he is, the Pirates can probably replace him in the off-season with a cheaper option. The Padres get better, and the Pirates get a decent return for a guy who they probably would have lost for less if they held onto him for the year.

So I had just assumed that the rules around the qualifying offer were that a guy couldn't be given it during consecutive years.  I had no idea the actual rule right now is that a player can only be given it once in their entire career.

So the Nats can't make Scherzer a QO because the Tigers already did it in 2014.  So they will receive nothing if/when he walks.  Suddenly makes him getting dealt look a lot more likely if they really are waving the white flag.

Mets Twitter are gushing about the possibility of getting him but I can't see it.  The asking price is probably higher for the Mets than any other team asking about him.  In theory it shouldn't matter where you send an expiring deal if you're punting but sending a Hall of Famer to a division rival, giving them the scariest 1-2 punch in the game with a great shot at winning a title makes for bad optics.  I think there's a good chance he'll be somewhere else come Friday evening but it won't be Queens.

11 hours ago, Buschie Kay said:

So I had just assumed that the rules around the qualifying offer were that a guy couldn't be given it during consecutive years.  I had no idea the actual rule right now is that a player can only be given it once in their entire career.

So the Nats can't make Scherzer a QO because the Tigers already did it in 2014.  So they will receive nothing if/when he walks.  Suddenly makes him getting dealt look a lot more likely if they really are waving the white flag.

Mets Twitter are gushing about the possibility of getting him but I can't see it.  The asking price is probably higher for the Mets than any other team asking about him.  In theory it shouldn't matter where you send an expiring deal if you're punting but sending a Hall of Famer to a division rival, giving them the scariest 1-2 punch in the game with a great shot at winning a title makes for bad optics.  I think there's a good chance he'll be somewhere else come Friday evening but it won't be Queens.

I'm not sure I want to see the price tag if the Jays land him but I think I'd get over it seeing Scherzer play as a Blue Jay. 

I wonder what it would take to get Scherzer, Daniel Hudson and one of Escobar or Harrison. 

1 hour ago, damshow said:

I would think, given their always loaded farm system, deep pockets, and the Trevor Bauer situation, the Dodgers have to be the frontrunners for Max. Every other team will probably be competing with their trade offer.

The Dodgers HAVE to be the front-runner for Scherzer. No one on the team even wants Bauer back, should he be allowed by the league. They've basically come out and said that he's not welcome with the team... and Bauer's lawyer has urged him to plead the fifth when he takes the stand... which makes it seem likely that he's guilty as hell and won't be back anyways.