2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

Hendricks is said to not be one of the players the Cubs are considering moving in a potential fire sale, yet I keep hearing Mets fans clamoring for a Bryant/Hendricks package.  I don't see it happening.

Pitching wise I just don't know if the Mets really have the horses to hang on to this division.  Walker is showing very clear signs of regression to the mean and he's barely pitched in recent years so he might be hitting a wall.  Hill is a four or five inning pitcher.  Carrasco is supposed to finally make his Mets debut Friday but will be very limited early on.  deGrom's return is hopefully not far behind, and Syndergaard maybe in September.  But the Mets banking on full health rarely is a strategy that pays off.

IF they somehow got to the playoffs with a fully healthy pitching staff....deGrom, Carrasco, Stroman, Syndergaard, Megill, Walker, Hill.....several of those guys coming out of the bullpen.  They could have a very real chance at going the distance.  But another arm would make me feel a lot better than just hoping and praying for health.

I'm seriously doubting the Mets land any of the "sexy" names being rumored.  They just don't have a good farm system to draw from.  Probably will end up with a 5th starter and a bench bat and I guess it'll be 2 months of praying for luck.

The curiosity in Baltimore is what happens mainly to Paul Fry and Tanner Scott. Both likely have a minimal return but we have a (wise IMO) strategy of quantity over quality down in the minors. With the expectation that for every 5 guys who is a dud there might be one who plays above his projections. Seems worth it to me.

Plenty of people think we should move Mancini. And he'd yield a great return. But as he's basically the face of the franchise, super popular, and enjoying a storybook comeback year from cancer it's just so hard to see them doing that. Most fans would be devastated. The hope is certainly that we can sign him to an extension and he'll be a veteran presence on the team once they turn the corner in a few years. Worst case scenario might be extending the qualifying offer when he hits free agency. I'd argue they'll get a better return with that pick than they will trading him now.

I have been a horrible parent since the news. I locked myself in my room and when my son asked what we were going to eat I said "I don't care! Order out!" and threw my card at him before closing the door again. He was my favorite. I'm even walking around with his Jersey on. Needless to say I am not taking this well :( 

• Sad 1