2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

@Your Mom Cubs getting OF Pete Crow-Armstrong, the Mets' #5 prospect and their 1st round pick in last year's draft.

19 years old, only played six pro games this year before having to get shoulder surgery.  So he's a long way's away from the big leagues.  But he was viewed as the best defensive HS CF in the country and has blazing speed.  Assuming he fully recovers from his surgery he is likely better value than the comp pick the Cubs otherwise would've gotten for Javy.

Moreover he's a SUPER likable kid.  For that reason alone I'm sad to lose him but it makes sense he'd be the top prospect the Mets would give.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, damshow said:

I saw Nick Madrigal and Codi Heuer. But it was a Bob Nightengale tweet so waiting for someone to actually confirm.

Madrigal is a fantastic return for the Cubbies.

I didn't know this Bob guy before today but he just fell for a fake Jeff Passan account that said Bryant was going to the Yanks so he is obviously not really good at his job. :P But wow if that was for really I think I would legit have to become a backer of the "Evil Empire"

19 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

I didn't know this Bob guy before today but he just fell for a fake Jeff Passan account that said Bryant was going to the Yanks so he is obviously not really good at his job. :P But wow if that was for really I think I would legit have to become a backer of the "Evil Empire"

Nightengale is absolutely awful. He's so often very wrong. No surprise he fell for the fake account.

Of course his reputation is so bad when he had the scoop that the White Sox were looking at hiring Tony La Russa everyone took it for bullshit for like a week until he actually got hired.

Incredible that less than 5 full years after the end of the World Series that ended the 108-year curse basically the entire team is gone. I've never seen that before in sports. Almost all of those guys have free dinners for life in Chicago and none of them play there anymore. I assumed one of them would become the David Ortiz and just be there for so many ups and downs.

I think in a few years it'll look smart for the Cubs to have had their sell off when they did but seeing the entire core of your favorite team basically depart in a matter of days has to suck.

• Like 2

Baez openly said in an interview a few days ago that he wanted to play with Lindor someday, and Lindor apparently recommended Baez directly to Steve Cohen.  Cohen will have to open up his enormous wallet in November of course but I'd say the odds are high that's the middle infield duo in Queens for a long time.

Not getting a pitcher today (well, minus Trevor Williams as a throw in who is terrible this year) is a big risk though.  Essentially all of their eggs are now in the basket of hoping deGrom and Carrasco can stay on the mound the rest of the way.  Any setback in the pitching department and I don't see this team making it to October baseball.

Cubs got the Giants' #9 and #30 prospect for Bryant.  Both total nothing prospects as far as I can tell, feel like the comp pick would've given them a similar or better prospect at that point.

Probably should've just kept him and given Cubs fans ANY reason to watch/go to Wrigley the rest of the season.