2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

5 minutes ago, damshow said:

It sounded like it was one of those Yankee Stadium HRs though and not a well hit HR. Shouldn't change anyone's assessment on him.

Oh it was definitely one of those "only in Yankee Stadium" home runs. I was more joking that, of course, after I say we should release him he finally does something of note. (also had a really nice defensive play to throw a runner out at home earlier)

Michael Conforto clearly nudges his elbow into the strike zone for a walk off hit by pitch.

I mean I’ll take the win but this is why I love the Mets announcers as they were rightfully calling it out as a bullshit decision by the umps and not a great look for Conforto.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Buschie Lee said:

Michael Conforto clearly nudges his elbow into the strike zone for a walk off hit by pitch.

I mean I’ll take the win but this is why I love the Mets announcers as they were rightfully calling it out as a bullshit decision by the umps and not a great look for Conforto.

If you ain't cheatin' then you ain't trying!

1 hour ago, Buschie Lee said:

The ump originally called it a strike too and then quickly changed his mind. Really bad look. I don't really mind Conforto nudging, if you get away with it you get away with it, but terrible for the umps to blow it. Especially in the manner they did.

• Like 1

Was just nice to see people back in the ballpark today, the actual crowd noise makes it a more enjoyable watch.

Only unfortunate thing about today was the Mets skipping the pregame roster introductions which is one of the best parts of Opening Day.  They cited COVID protocols but not really sure how seeing as both rosters were standing shoulder to shoulder on the foul lines anyway.  Ah well.

What a great story, local kid grew up a huge Padres fan and now makes history for them.  All of the starters the Pirates lost over the past few years have been pitching amazingly over these first couple of weeks.  He also threw 112 pitches which is basically unheard of this early in the season when everyone is tracking workload, but if you're the Padres you have to go for history when the chance is there.  Good on them.

48 minutes ago, Meacon Keaton said:

They're the only franchise not to have one.

Naturally, a Mets beat writer is already trolling the fanbase by reminding them that Johan Santana only got his due to a blown call.  Like we give a shit.  Besides, R.A. Dickey threw a one-hitter against the Rays like two weeks later that probably was a legitimate no-no but the scorer awarded a hit instead of an error on David Wright.  Can play this game all day with scoring decisions and judgment calls.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Lowerdeck said:

The one time I went to a Mets game, the Mets had a one hitter.  It was an infield single in the 4th inning.  Want to say this was 2005 or 2006.

The Mets have had a ridiculous number of one-hitters in the last 20ish years.  Jon Niese, John Maine, Glendon Rusch, Bobby Jones, Shawn Estes, deGrom twice, Steve Trachsel twice, Dickey like three times.

One of them was a leadoff hit with nothing else after.  At least three of them the only hit was to the pitcher.

So honestly the Mets only getting one on a blown call feels like the only way it could’ve happened.

deGrom’s spun 5 really nice innings so far, 10 strikeouts already and only given up a solo shot.  But of course the Met lineup has made Trevor Rogers look like Koufax.

It’s really historic how much the offense has screwed him since the start of 2018.  It’s so well documented it’s tough to feel like it’s not a mental thing at this point, the lineup puts so much extra pressure on themselves every time deGrom pitches.  They don’t need to do much to win and they end up never doing enough.