2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

On 31/08/2021 at 10:01, Your Mom said:

I was just thinking I hadn't seen you around in a long time and you come back with jokes. And good jokes too! :lol: 

I'm not around as much; I never work alone and having someone else around means I have less time by myself to screw around online. I lurk more than anything else.

BUT I did think of you the other day. Youtube's algorithm randomly decided that I would be interested in watching an hour long documentary on the renovations of Wrigley Field and after a few minutes I realized the damn algorithm got me again. I really enjoyed it and I have no connection to the place other than going there once, so I figured you might get a kick out of it.

• Like 1

Braves lost three times this week and the Mets only lost ground.  Five games out, hope pretty much non-existent at this point.  Had they played even remotely competent baseball in August they'd be within like two games, if not still in the lead.  Sigh.

Can't wait for Luis Rojas to be gone.  He wasn't good last year but it was a gimmicky season played under a different set of rules than anybody could have planned for, I was fine giving him a full regular season to see what he can do.  But even in an era where the front office dictates so much about in-game management, he manages to bungle so many of the decisions he has jurisdiction over.  So many baffling calls.

ESPN Sunday Night games have started at 7 PM all year.  Of course the night ESPN has to start at 8 because of the US Open, it's the Yankees who are pretty much incapable of playing a game less than four hours long.

It's been that way with the Yankees for years, especially on national broadcasts.  Their lineup has always taken a ton of pitches, works the count, and step out after every pitch.

Finally got to a game last night.  First one in 24.5 months.  Every team the Mets could’ve wanted to lose in the division and wild card race lost.  Tie game, 10th inning, runner on 3rd with 1 out.  Lindor finally broke out for a big game the other day where he hit 3 home runs, now he simply needs a fly ball to win it and gain a game on everyone.

Instead the $341 million supposed superstar hits a tapper directly to 1B, out at first, runner thrown out at home.  Inning over.  And of course they then go on to lose in the 11th.

First game in over 2 years and it’s the biggest nut kick loss of the season.  Lovely.

• Sad 1

I am feeling optimistic about a lot of our young crew now. Still not a happy fan but I'll get there. What would make me a happy fan again is if we brought one of our three boys home next year. I know I'm grasping at straws when it comes to us spending money but please give me at least one of them back to go with the good young crew :crying: 

• Like 1

This shit over the Blue Jays catcher dropping the game plan and the Rays picking it up is hilarious. So much hand-wringing on Reddit for nothing.

Rays did nothing wrong, Jays players would have done the exact same thing, it isn't cheating, it's gamesmenship.

Jays fans keep comparing it to dropping your wallet, like, really?

It's total gamesmanship, and I'm cool with it until the league says otherwise.

That being said, where's the line? If the Rays had a player leave his glove on the field and a Jay picked it up and refused to give it back... is that still gamesmanship? I mean, the glove and scouting report are both league-approved tools for the players to use. If it's okay to snake one, is it okay to snake the other?

I don't really care that they took it, but I also don't love that Kiermaier implied that he didn't know that it was the opposing team's. He clearly looks back to make sure they're not looking at him. If there's nothing wrong with taking it, then why lie about taking it?