2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

On 22/09/2021 at 09:38, Gabriel said:

It's total gamesmanship, and I'm cool with it until the league says otherwise.

That being said, where's the line? If the Rays had a player leave his glove on the field and a Jay picked it up and refused to give it back... is that still gamesmanship? I mean, the glove and scouting report are both league-approved tools for the players to use. If it's okay to snake one, is it okay to snake the other?

You need the glove to play the game, you don't really need the paper.

I dunno, there's definitely a line but I don't think this crosses it. This is like trying to steal signs while on second base, it falls into the part of the game between the teams off the field.

5 minutes ago, Toe said:

Oh wow - I thought they still would have Davis on the books, but I guess since he retired they are free from that.

They're still paying him something but he's not "on the books" in how team payroll is calculated. It doesn't go towards the luxury tax basically.

Also it's kind of misleading since a fair number of players are under team control and on their annual one-year deals and will be back. But there's basically never a team that doesn't have someone officially locked up past this season. Might be a first for a team to end a season with 0 players guaranteed to be back the following season.

The Giants won their 100th game and the Dodgers are about to do the same.  One of those teams will be forced into a one-game playoff with a team currently 15 games worse than them in the Cardinals...and that in and of itself could've been even worse as the Cards are riding a 14-game winning streak.

I still expect that under the next they will add a best of three Wild Card round this winter.  MLB has been hesitant to do as it could push the playoff schedule out further in the event of tiebreakers, etc...but I think this is the kind of thing that will make them realize how foolish it is to play 162 games in series and then punish the team with the second best record in the league by basically putting their season on the line in a coin toss, which is all a single game really is.

I'm about 90% sure this gets added into the next CBA regardless, and I'd move it up to 95% likelihood if the top Wild Card team loses the game and 99% if it's the Dodgers.

Mets beat writer Anthony DiComo comes up with yet another stat to quantify how bad this second half was for the Mets.  No team in the history of baseball has spent more time in first place (103 days) only to finish with a losing record.

After this disaster I'm not really sure there's anything they can do this winter to make me excited about 2022.  Even if they make all the "right" moves and have a good team on paper...that's done a fat lot of good the last several times they assembled a good team on paper.  It invariably finds a way to not work out, sorta like the Padres.

34 minutes ago, CM Busch said:

LA/Houston in a World Series with packed houses is probably the most intriguing possible scenario.  I normally don't like the Dodgers but I'd pull for them in that to avenge 2017, especially since their fans didn't get to actually celebrate last year.

If it's LA/Tampa Bay then Dodger fans will be able to pack the house for all 7 games!

• Haha 2

It’s also kinda ridiculous that the Giants and Dodgers will have to play the NLDS (if the Cards don’t knock the wild card out) and one of them will be taken out while one of the Brewers and Braves get to go to the NLCS.  Nothing like punishing the 1 seed.

DS seeding needs to be based on record.