2021 MLB Season / 21-22 Offseason Thread

The Buscher

He always says the right things to the media too...never says an unkind word about a teammate, never throws anyone under the bus.  But being the competitor that he is there's just no way this doesn't eat away at him.

A reporter at the start of spring asked him about his opt-out clause at the end of 2022 and he again said the correct thing, that he hasn't given it any thought and that it would be cool to be a rare player who spends his whole career with one team.

He'll definitely opt out because the two years, $63 million left on the deal is child's play compared to his value, even at age 34.  And the Mets with the richest owner in baseball will almost certainly pay the most money as they'll have all the pressure in the world to keep the best pitcher they've had since Gooden, maybe even since Seaver, a Met for life.

But if they keep screwing him like this for two more years?  No amount of money might be able to keep him here.

Apparently the home team makes the call on if a game starts with questionable weather and then the umps take it from there?  I had no idea, I thought it was the umps all the way.

Anyway, that’s just another genius decision by the Mets as with rain already coming down the game started and had to be shut down by the third batter.  Stroman only threw 9 pitches and of course did his pregame warmup throwing routing before that etc.  could end up being a waste of your #2 starter.

In the day and age of having openers, you would think on overcast days with the possibility of a rain delay looming that teams would go that route. I know it's not for everyone, but with more and more teams thinking outside the box, that is one route I'm surprised hasn't been looked at. Why waste a starter when you could just waste an opener?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DYSI said:

In the day and age of having openers, you would think on overcast days with the possibility of a rain delay looming that teams would go that route. I know it's not for everyone, but with more and more teams thinking outside the box, that is one route I'm surprised hasn't been looked at. Why waste a starter when you could just waste an opener?

Yep, the Marlins were starting an opener, although it was planned even without knowing the weather.  Mets will probably use an opener on the days Joey Lucchesi pitches, which wouldn't have been until Wednesday...but it's the kind of thing they should be able to slide up if needed.

Moreover, my hope was that maybe they could just treat this like a throw day and re-juggle the rotation so Stroman starts in a day or two, but he's seemingly already confirmed on Twitter that he's missing the full turn and has to wait five days to pitch again.  I have to assume it's the team's call so as to not mess up anyone else's routine, because there's no way Stroman wants to have a start taken away from him during a contract year.

After back to back rainouts, the Mets have now played just five games in the first 12 days of the season.  And it's looking very likely that they'll get a snow out in Colorado at some point this weekend.

It's gonna be a while before this team can get into any sort of real rhythm.  Ugh.

Good news: Joe West is retiring at the end of the season! :w00t:

He won a $500,000 (plus interest) judgement over Paul Lo Duca in a defamation suit over some comments about West trading favors for favorable calls on a podcast. But here's the funny part: West argued that the comments could hurt his chances of getting into the Hall of Fame.

Now, if West ever gets into the Hall of Fame, it'll be bullshit. But as bad as he is, if anyone ever nominates Angel Hernandez for the HoF, someone needs to check and see if that person is either drunk or suffered a stroke....

The Atlantic League, in partnership with MLB, is testing out a "Double Hook DH" rule this season.  Both teams have a DH but once the starting pitcher is taken out of the game, the DH goes away and becomes a pitchers spot.

The theory is that teams might take the leash off of their starting pitchers a bit and you'll see guys staying in games longer because losing the DH would disadvantage them.  But I think a workaround would be to bat someone 8th or 9th that plays the natural position of your DH and then you can just make the DH go out in the field later.  Would really screw over the guys who actually can't field anymore though, and extending careers of older players who can still mash is a big reason the union likes the DH.  Plus I'm sure the Angels would be thrilled to know Ohtani would have to leave the game early on his DH days unless they want him to play some innings in the outfield for the first time since Japan.

Plus, what happens when a starter gets hurt early?  Oh well tough luck, no DH for you.  Or a pitcher simply doesn't have it and needs an early hook, now you're making it even harder on the team's comeback chances by taking the DH away?

Manfred needs to go away.

All these rule changes are going to prevent teams from having their stud prospects on those teams. Isn’t the Atlantic League also changing the pitching distance? Or height of the mound? That’s going to fuck up pitchers arms, after they’ve pitched from the same distance their whole lives. I’d have my stud pitching prospects completely skip that level. All this crap is going to chase away those of us still around. Not bring in the people who currently don’t give a shit.

I'm not going to say why, but if you can watch the White Sox game, turn it on. 

Nooooooooooo! 0-2 pitch, with one out in the bottom of the 9th and Rodon loses the Perfect Game by hitting Roberto Perez. 

Still ended up being a no-hitter, but still. Two outs away from a perfect game and that's how it ends has got to hurt a little bit. 

• Like 1

The Jose Abreu play at first base to get the first out in the ninth last night is likely going to be overlooked since Rodon hit the next batter, but that was one of the most clutch perfect game saving plays I’ve ever seen. As soon as the ball was hit, I said “Noooooo” because I was sure it’d be an infield single. So major props to a guy who usually only gets love for his bat.

• Like 1