What online games are/were you good at?

9 to 5

Since I am lol, old, and gone from messing with my C64 tapes in the hope it would actually load this time to being in the digital age where getting a game is just a few clicks worth of work, multiplayer online games came later in my life than most on here.

Aside from a bit of Quake and a whole lot of Championship Manager, I only got into online gaming with my PS3 so I didn't have my childhood to develop the skills like the kids do.

But one game I did excel at is Metal Gear Online that came with MGS4. Such a fun and balanced game and despite no mic I could work well with most teams and be quite a good player at it.

And you lot?

• Like 1

You Don't Know Jack is online now, so.... that I guess.

1 hour ago, 9 to 5 said:

But one game I did excel at is Metal Gear Online that came with MGS4. Such a fun and balanced game and despite no mic I could work well with most teams and be quite a good player at it.

First online game I played on the PS3 was MGO with you! Good times for sure.

I was always atrocious at any shooter game, like playing CoD or Gears would just turn into 'walk around a corner, get shot, respawn, walk around another corner, get killed. rinse & repeat' but Halo 3 I recall actually being okay at, onto Reach as well. Can't really remember if we played much 4 by the time that came out? Not sure why Halo was the only one, maybe it's the armour or I just had a better understanding of the maps and how to handle encounters when I ran into another player.

FIFA I'm okay at in Pro Clubs specifically. This year in FUT was terrible until I chanced upon actual good cards like Mbappe, Salah etc and was actually able to start winning which probably says more about their power than my skill. There was one game I actually did well in though, somewhere around FIFA 09/10 or so playing as Bolton online. Think they were around a 3.5/4* team so the matchmaking took out the really good teams as potential opponents. Though, you'd think that would leave you playing the actual dedicated players who wouldn't just pick Madrid/Barca as a crutch but for whatever reason it just clicked with Bolton.

1 hour ago, King Ellis said:

I was always atrocious at any shooter game, like playing CoD or Gears would just turn into 'walk around a corner, get shot, respawn, walk around another corner, get killed. rinse & repeat' but Halo 3 I recall actually being okay at, onto Reach as well. Can't really remember if we played much 4 by the time that came out? Not sure why Halo was the only one, maybe it's the armour or I just had a better understanding of the maps and how to handle encounters when I ran into another player.

FIFA I'm okay at in Pro Clubs specifically. This year in FUT was terrible until I chanced upon actual good cards like Mbappe, Salah etc and was actually able to start winning which probably says more about their power than my skill. There was one game I actually did well in though, somewhere around FIFA 09/10 or so playing as Bolton online. Think they were around a 3.5/4* team so the matchmaking took out the really good teams as potential opponents. Though, you'd think that would leave you playing the actual dedicated players who wouldn't just pick Madrid/Barca as a crutch but for whatever reason it just clicked with Bolton.

We were excellent at Saints Row. 

Blinged Out Ride ❤️

• Like 1

I'm fairly good at Fall Guys, some of which I think is just being persistent with it. Not like pro strats good, but I do generally expect to make it to the final in every game I play and more often than not I'm putting myself in decent positions to win if everything breaks right.

Other than that, nothing really. I'm probably somewhere near as good as you can get at Tetris without actually learning stuff like T-spins but even that's overstating it, I'm sure.

I think simracing is the best thing I can do competitively. I have been a passable mid-tier driver in a couple of high level ACC endurance races. But I still don't remotely got close to being actually competitive for any sort of honour. (Think finishing near the bottom of the table in the highest split).

NBA 2k I did for a while with friends and we'd be plenty succesful, I was arguably the worst player on the team but I work well as a pure defender/playmaker focusing on getting others their perfect opportunities.

Finally, I played Rising Storm: Vietnam for a while and that's the only shooter where I've been remotely good at, where me and a few others can focus on taking specific objectives rather than rushing in to get shot.

• Like 2

The first game I used to play a lot online was Team Fortress Classic. I used to play that for hours and hours online. 2Fort, Rock2, Murderball, etc. I used to play medic or sniper. I used to be really good. I played some TF2, but was never really into as much as I was into TFC.

I used to play a lot of Left 4 Dead. Used to beat online campaigns on the hardest difficulties. I was also pretty good at the versus mode, but more so on the human side versus the zombie side. 

These days, I play lots of Overwatch. I am fine. I have never really played enough to get good at competitive. I used to exclusively play healer and in particular, Lucio. I had a pretty good win rate. But nowadays I play as a tank - either Orisa or Sigma. 

The only other major one was Splatoon 1 and 2. I was REALLY good at Splatoon 1 and 2 and played competitive on Splatoon 1. But I am old now. 

There is probably some other games I am forgetting. 

• Like 1

Another game I forgot to mention, Payday 2 was played for hundreds of hours to the point of doing all the heists at the highest difficulties and eventually doing them with self imposed challenges.

That game was great with mates, absolute blast.

Generally I love anything that is built around cooperation.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 I was in the top 100 on an online mode once. Was decent at COD when I was younger but there is a clear correlation between getting old and my reactions being worse. 

36 minutes ago, Bad News Jericode said:

None (just before Cymbols chimes in).

I was pretty good at Laser League when we briefly played that. Otherwise yeah my ability has gone to shit.

Now now, we just have to find you the right game, we’ll get there 👀

For real though you were decent at GTA:O, I’m pretty certain.

Personally, like GoGo, consistently good at Fall Guys. Not like elite, but I’d back myself to get to the final more than not. Won it somewhere in the 150 range I reckon.

For a time I’d say I was pretty good at Rainbow Six Siege - but it helped being in a squad full of ballers as well. Crazy how quick you lose a step when you stop playing almost every day though - or possibly that only die hards are still playing it. 

Otherwise fairly good at Fifa and that, but I don’t put enough time/energy/effort into getting really good at any one thing.

I feel like I could have got to a high level on Rocket League if I'd put the time in. I was always decent due to playing the original game on PS3, which had a tiny fan base, and I actually used to play relatively frequently against a guy who'd later go on to be a RL pro. 

But while I enjoy playing games, I could never play them enough to get THAT good.

Myself, the missus and @9 to 5 got to a level on PUBG where we felt we could compete and had a chance to win in every game we played because of our play-style. Not bad for a group of oldies.