EWB Listening Club

RPS

We have not listened to the 80s yet, so I randomly picked one.

This week's listen is... Talking Heads - Remain in Light (1980). Outside of my dad playing the odd Talking Heads track here or there, I actually have no real memories or deep connection to the album. This album looks to have sold about a million copies worldwide. The 37th best album of all time according to AcclaimedMusic and according to RateYourMusic the 12th best album of all time.

First, Talking Heads:

I prefer Talking Heads 77, their first. Remain in Light is still a good listen and definitely more acclaimed by music critics and fans alike. Personally I'm not very big into the heavy psychedelic funk influence you can feel immediately after their first album. It's part of their sound - I get it - but I don't love it.

Now, Remain in Light:

I like their non-singles better than their singles, however, I do enjoy Houses in Motion which is obviously very funky. I know it goes against everything I just said, but you like what you like. What can you do?

I also like the Great Curve, a happy song that doesn't necessarily match its lyrics, but it doesn't need to. 

I also like Listening wind. I like how the voice sounds in this one, how it manages to soothe. It doesn't seem to fit with the sounds around it, but it does so well.

The Overload is a cool way to end the album and wouldn't fit anywhere else in it. I mean, having it somewhere else was obviously never considered but regardless, I like it as a last song on an album.

The rest of it is decent new wave/ kind of post-punk stuff, which I usually like a lot. It should be what I liked the most about it, considering it's closer to their earlier work, which I just said I prefered, but yet, that's not how I feel about it.

I'd say this album isn't for everyone and I definitely need to be in the mood for it. It's the most experimental album by Talking Heads but I dig what they did in general.

It was definitely something I found extremely boring in my early 20s the first time I heard it in full, but it's grown on me.