Summer Transfer Window 2021

Lineker

4 hours ago, Benjamin said:

I must have read it wrongly, then. I heard that he was going to Barca despite Ter Stegen staying.

Also, crazy how Barca found money for Gini when they have none, and need to sell players ASAP. Thing is, I don't know which of their assets that they wouldn't want to keep would actually fetch anything to make a massive dent in their debt. Unless they sell Dembele (who's probably dropped crazily in value) or Griezemann? Who else do they have that other people want on a premium rate? 

Everything I had read about Donnarumma to Barcelona was as a replacement in the case they sell ter Stegen. However, I just read they'd still be interested even if ter Stegen stays.

As for Wijnaldum, just like Donnarumma, fits the current policy of mostly looking into the free transfer market. I say mostly because they did sign a Betis player for 9M.

I understand targeting the free agent market, but Gini is also getting paid 9m a year as well. Not really doing much to lessen that huge wage bill they have, which is a big problem for them.

Apparently MtS is staying as their number one. Donnarumma could be heading to Juventus now, apparently. 

I don't think Donarumma to Barca was ever a real thing, just Raiola doing what he does to get some extra agent fee money. Ter Stegen is one of the best keepers in the world, and better than Donarumma. Sure, they could sign him and sell MTS for funds, but Barca would end up selling him for less than what they want because every club both knows Barca's financial predicament and that they have two keepers on high wages. Barca would've had no leverage.

Barcelona feel like they're in a very weird balancing position where they need to stay as a top club to afford the wage bill but can't afford the transfers or added wages to boost the club. It's why I wouldn't be shocked if they looked at Donnarumma on a free transfer with the expectation that after a season they could then look to sell he or Ter Stegen since teams will likely have more cash on hand a year from now than they do now. You basically pay him, what, 10 million to then recoup 80-90 in a transfer for one of them?

Plus, while goalkeepers tend to peak when they're older and stay good longer, Ter Stegen is turning 30 next year. Donnarumma is a much younger and theoretically hasn't even hit his peak yet.

Edited by damshow

As many as eight players could be on their way out of Man City according to the Athletic - Joao Cancelo, Aymeric Laporte, Rodri, Gabriel Jesus, Raheem Sterling and Bernardo Silva are all unhappy at the club, whilst the champions will also accept bids for Benjamin Mendy and Riyad Mahrez.

1 minute ago, Adam said:

What are all of that lot unhappy about?

Lack of playing time, and the general unavailability of Pep to listen to their issues. I imagine a few are also quite close to Aguero, who is said to be very unhappy about the manner of his departure.

• Thanks 1

We've been getting bids for Ismail Coulibaly, our Mali U21 international that's been on loan at Beerschot last season. We've apparently turned down £10m from AC Milan and £12.9m from Galatasary. 

Jokanovic doesn't take over until 1st July, so I suspect we won't sell anyone until after that point when he can fully assess the assets of the team. 

Oh, and we've apparently re-iterated to Arsenal that Berge's buyout clause is £35m and not to bother bidding unless they match that. 

We've published our retained list. Four 'first team' players are off: Phil Jagielka, John Lundstram, Simon Moore and Jack Rodwell. 

Lunny has been gone for over a year already. Not surprised with Jags or Rodwell either tbh. Expect the former to move into coaching or something relatively soon. Bit sad for Moore. Did a job for us a few years ago but struggled to displace Foderingham as the #2. 

Atsu's leaving. Amazing how a player who really should never have been made a permanent deal somehow managed to get five years at the club.

Would rather have just kept Sammy Ameobi.

• Admin

Manchester City chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak says his club intend to send a message in this summer’s transfer window and has vowed to find the right replacement for Sergio Agüero this summer.

City look set to spend big on reshaping Pep Guardiola’s squad and have a large hole to fill following record goalscorer Agüero’s move to Barcelona. Tottenham striker Harry Kane has been heavily linked with a move to the Etihad Stadium, and even named Kevin De Bruyne as his ideal team-mate, while Borussia Dortmund’s Erling Haaland has also been touted as a possible target.

Following City’s third Premier League title in four years and a maiden run to the Champions League final – where they lost to Chelsea – Al Mubarak believes it is important to improve their squad.

“You need to constantly bring talent into the team, refresh and particularly when you are at a high level on the top,” he said, speaking in an interview with the club’s website. “Having won the league it is not the team to sit back and be content, that is the biggest mistake. This is the time to send a strong message that there is no contentment, you are not satisfied with just winning the league.

“We lose a very important legend in Sergio Agüero, very hard shoes to fill but I am confident we will find the right player to fill those shoes. There are other areas in the team that need investment, not too many, it is not about numbers, it is about quality.

“The squad is a phenomenal squad, you don’t win the Premier League and get to the Champions League final if you don’t have a good squad. We will bring quality into the squad in a couple of key positions.”

Al Mubarak has also said that the journey with Guardiola will continue, despite their Champions League disappointment. While City have dominated domestically under the Spaniard, they have still not managed to crack the European nut, with the 1-0 defeat against Chelsea still leaving them without continental silverware.

But Al Mubarak insists City are happy with Guardiola. “This partnership has been a great partnership,” he said. “He is in the right environment, he has the right infrastructure around him. We have the greatest trust and the greatest relationship and we have achieved so much. The journey goes on and it will go on as long as Pep is happy and we’re happy.”

On the disappointment in Porto, he added: “I feel very proud of what this team has accomplished. When you reach a Champions League final – the pinnacle in football, the pinnacle of sports – I think it is an incredible achievement, a remarkable season by any description.

“But it is also a culmination of years of hard work to reach a level of consistency, a level of expectation that this club has reached now – which is a club that will compete year in, year out.

“You can’t win every year but year in, year out we are going to be there. It is about going forward and whenever we have setbacks regrouping and coming back stronger. As sad as we all are at losing the Champions League final, we will be back in that final and more importantly (with) these titles we will always be there, that I promise.”

3 hours ago, Tigerstyle said:

How are City going to fund this bajillion pound spending spree and not fall foul of FFP? /s

They have just shed a lot of wages, have won the premier league and got the final of the champions league.  I think they are okay financially