General Movie Thread 2021

RPS

Isn't there also a Mallrats sequel he's going to make after Clerks III?

I guess he's largely decided to just stick with his niche and cater to the diehards who see everything he makes. But I don't think I've enjoyed a movie of his since Clerks II. And that could as much be it coming out during a really fun summer of my life and just being part of that whole time as much as it could be it actually being a good movie. Rose-tinted yada yada.

I haven't posted about a movie for a while. Hope this is the right place anyway

I saw "The Night House" I really hated the experience. Not that it's a badly made movie but I didn't realize some of the issues it tackles. I really could've done with some kind of warning. Maybe try a spoiler free review before you see this one?

Spoiler

I really don't want to write up a big thing just know that it deals heavily with suicide and depression and it really effected me. I thought I was seeing a harmless weird horror movie and now I feel like garbage

Yeah, I guess the only place you can usually find out about that is the equivalent censorship / certification board. However, from experience, it can be super spoilery too. 

On 19/08/2021 at 23:38, damshow said:

Isn't there also a Mallrats sequel he's going to make after Clerks III?

I guess he's largely decided to just stick with his niche and cater to the diehards who see everything he makes. But I don't think I've enjoyed a movie of his since Clerks II. And that could as much be it coming out during a really fun summer of my life and just being part of that whole time as much as it could be it actually being a good movie. Rose-tinted yada yada.

Agreed on not really liking anything since Clerks II, but at the same time - he hasn't really made a movie like Clerks II since then for me - so I'm on board in all honestly. Jay and Silent Bob as a solo entity aside, I enjoyed far more of his output pre-Clerks II than post.

On 24/08/2021 at 07:08, apsham said:

Agreed on not really liking anything since Clerks II, but at the same time - he hasn't really made a movie like Clerks II since then for me - so I'm on board in all honestly. Jay and Silent Bob as a solo entity aside, I enjoyed far more of his output pre-Clerks II than post.

Honestly, I thought he should have left those characters alone after Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Clerks II was....okay. Have not seen the Jay and Silent Bob Reboot.

According to IMDB, the Mallrats sequel is going to be called "Twilight of the Mallrats".

Matthew Mindler, who was probably most known for being in the Paul Rudd film Our Idiot Brother, has passed away. Only 19. He was reported missing by his university on August 26th.

Just got done with Vacation Friends on Hulu.  Stars John Cena and Lil Rel Howery.  It is a REALLY hilarious R-rated comedy, like something the early 2000s would've spit out, which makes sense since it has kinda been in production hell since 2005.

Jokes are set up and paid off multiple times, and Cena just continues to show great comedic timing

• Like 1

Pretty much agree. It was funnier than it had any right to be. And Cena continues to show that he's just as good at comedy as he is as action. Not one of those movies where you know what's going to happen ahead of time.

Spoiler

The only things I saw coming a mile away were Lil Rel wrecking the catamaran when he didn't hear Cena tell him to watch out for the rocks, and the golf game being a set-up.

13 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

Pretty much agree. It was funnier than it had any right to be. And Cena continues to show that he's just as good at comedy as he is as action. Not one of those movies where you know what's going to happen ahead of time.

Hide contents

The only things I saw coming a mile away were Lil Rel wrecking the catamaran when he didn't hear Cena tell him to watch out for the rocks, and the golf game being a set-up.

Kinda agree.  I saw the golf game being set up, but I expected

Spoiler

That Cena's character Ron would suddenly get good on the back 9.  Didn't see him just bad at golf and having someone kick his ball into the hole

On 03/08/2021 at 01:57, Your Mom said:

I am not going to start this off by pretending so no I couldn't think of a better thread title :P 

Moving on...My girlfriend had a rare week night off of work so we decided to eat and see a movie. I'm not going to lie I really want to see Jungle Cruise but she has been obsessed with seeing The Green Knight. "Sure! I'd love to see that!" This was pretend number one. I wanted to see The Rock rock it up people! But I am a people pleaser and it wasn't like it looked bad based off the trailer just a little bit confusing.

It was bad...and confusing. Well at least I thought it was anyway. "Have you read the poem this is based on?" Oh yeah but I mean it's been a long time. BULLSHIT! I didn't even know the movie was based on a poem. Is it a famous poem? I still don't fucking know. Anyway I don't think I need to go through the whole movie you get the picture. "Yeah I totally understood that part" "Oh I agree that ending was stunning" "I totally understood what was happening more than 25% of the time"

Taking this from something @Your Mom posted in another topic...

I watched The Green Knight last week.  I'm not familiar with the Arthurian legend its based on, but the trailer looked really cool, so I gave it a rental.

I liked about 75% of the movie.  The stuff introducing Gawain, his walk through the battlefield, his encounter with the highwaymen, the woman in the cabin, the stuff with The Lord and Lady, his confrontation with The Green Knight...I really enjoyed it.

The stuff I didn't like was just so FUCKING weird. 

Spoiler

The giant naked women with babies, I liked the fox until it started to talk, the ending montage....it was just...like...what the fuck?!

I liked 25% more of The Green Knight than you did, bloody loved it in fact.

Spoiler

What did you find weird about the sequence at the end? Can understand the giants and the fox going either way in how you take it, but I'm surprised to hear you say that the ending montage was weird?

On 06/09/2021 at 16:13, Arjen Robben said:

I liked 25% more of The Green Knight than you did, bloody loved it in fact.

Hide contents

What did you find weird about the sequence at the end? Can understand the giants and the fox going either way in how you take it, but I'm surprised to hear you say that the ending montage was weird?

Was just the lack of dialog and kinda chaotic sounding music playing over it.  Just something I personally dislike.  I think if it was something like  a folk song with some haunting lyrics over it, I would've liked it more