What Did You Watch Today? 2021

Baddar

Just watched The Maltese Falcon from 1941 on HBO Max.  Generally considered to be one of the greatest movies of all time. 

God damn I was fucking riveted by it.  The way things are set up is like a game of chess.  I couldn't look away from from the screen the entire time

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

I watched Nobody. That was a lot of fun!

I watched that yesterday too but yea, it was a lot of fun!

Near Dark is a fairly good film, but its nowhere near as good as Lost Boys.

Just watched the new Mortal Kombat on HBO Max. My favorite MK character has always been Scorpion, and he was handled and portrayed excellently in it. The movie uses a new character instead of one from the games as the lead, but he's actually pretty interesting. Several of the fatalities from the games are used, as well. Obviously intended to be the start of a new MK series, and I have no problem with that.

Lost.

I have never seen Lost before, started watching it at the start of the year and had NO IDEA it's basically a sci-fi show. Finished it. Loved it.

So yeah, if you're like me, give it a watch. The first three seasons are particularly great. It stands the test of time. I had to check several times what year each season was filmed, it feels incredibly recent.

@The KraigA lot of people crapped hard on the ending, but if you really think about it it made sense.

I should check out Yellowstone, which Josh Holloway is in for several episodes. Intelligence, which he did after Lost, was a good show that only lasted one season. On the other hand, I could not get into Colony, which lasted three.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

@The KraigA lot of people crapped hard on the ending, but if you really think about it it made sense.

I should check out Yellowstone, which Josh Holloway is in for several episodes. Intelligence, which he did after Lost, was a good show that only lasted one season. On the other hand, I could not get into Colony, which lasted three.

I watch shows in a bubble, so I liked the end. It was confusing, but the entire show is confusing to a degree. After all the reveals over the many seasons, they could effectively do anything with the ending and tell people to accept it. Every truly great story needs a definitive ending, in my opinion. I'm glad they didn't drag it out any longer than what they did. I think any show where you get so invested in characters there's going to be a very vocal minority who didn't get their one wish.

Speaking of dragging things out, I've loved watching Outlander but you can tell they are really hoping to burn it out until the embers die. One of the few shows where I audibly react to stuff, I just love so many of the characters.

I think I'll give Yellowstone a shot.

On another note, I remember being a huge fan of Dexter so when I went to Miami in 2018, it felt like home. Was weird, I felt like I was living in a dream. Anyone else had that happen to them?

@The Kraig I am in total agreement about Outlander. Was not a fan at first, as Heidi pretty much forced me to watch it. But its of my favorite shows, and has been since the second season. I even like that they update the opening theme each season. 

34 minutes ago, GhostMachine said:

@The Kraig I am in total agreement about Outlander. Was not a fan at first, as Heidi pretty much forced me to watch it. But its of my favorite shows, and has been since the second season. I even like that they update the opening theme each season. 

Much like Lost, I feel the sci-fi element makes it genuinely difficult to predict.

No spoilers or anything, but I DESPISED Roger for so many seasons for so many reasons. I just hated everything about him, apparently he's better in the book but good lord. He's such a villain until he gets some much needed character development. In the end, I find myself rooting for him. That's pretty amazing.

On 24/04/2021 at 15:39, GhostMachine said:

Near Dark is a fairly good film, but its nowhere near as good as Lost Boys.

Just watched the new Mortal Kombat on HBO Max. My favorite MK character has always been Scorpion, and he was handled and portrayed excellently in it. The movie uses a new character instead of one from the games as the lead, but he's actually pretty interesting. Several of the fatalities from the games are used, as well. Obviously intended to be the start of a new MK series, and I have no problem with that.

Just finished Mortal Kombat. I really liked it. Striking visuals, great use of the source material, and just the right amount of campy dialogue and cheesy action movie stuff you should expect.

• Like 1

Been using some time recently to catch up on some films I just should've seen by now. 

Finally watched The Elephant Man, which was obviously great. 

Went on a catch-up binge of some of the Italian classics; really liked L'avventura, La Notte and I Vitelloni, but found La Dolce Vita one of those films I really appreciated but found quite hard to love. I actually think, in exception of I Vitelloni, that's basically my experience with Fellini. 

Also finally ticked off watching Safe, which is just another example of why Todd Haynes and Julianne Moore are one of my favourite cinematic double acts. 

Also thought a lot of Ugetsu and maybe even more of Husbands, which is a grotesque John Cassavetes film that still feels so human, an insane balancing act of empathy and critique. 

Finished Season 6 of Bosch which has been really good throughout the entire run. I'm sad that it's actually ending after next season, but it has inspired me to grab the books which I'm told aren't entirely ruined by the show as there's only a few stories they've adapted. I've read they plan to do a spin off, which isn't really a spin off since it's mostly just follows Bosch after he's retired. Not sure why they're calling it a spinoff rather than just promoting it as a continuation of the current series.

14 minutes ago, LL! said:

Just finished all 7 seasons of The Shield for the first time... What a depressing mess of a show. 

Kurt Sutter written shows in a nutshell.

11 minutes ago, CLDY said:

Kurt Sutter written shows in a nutshell.

That can certainly be said for Sons of Anarchy, but this is Shawn Ryan's fault. 

I think they can probably share blame! I'm guessing on The Shield someone was around to rein Sutter in, but once he had his own show, well, all bets are off..