What Did You Watch Today? 2021

Baddar

23 minutes ago, CLDY said:

I think they can probably share blame! I'm guessing on The Shield someone was around to rein Sutter in, but once he had his own show, well, all bets are off..

Sure. For the most part. There were those few episodes where he played a crazed and eccentric Armenian (!) enforcer. 

Just watched Herzog's Nosferatu The Vampyre and I thought it was brilliant - one of those rare films where beauty and horror co-exist. I think it's now a toss-up between that and Stroszek for my favourite Herzog film. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Just watched Herzog's Nosferatu The Vampyre and I thought it was brilliant - one of those rare films where beauty and horror co-exist. I think it's now a toss-up between that and Stroszek for my favourite Herzog film. 

Best version of the Dracula story. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

• Like 3

Let us know what you have been recently watching - whether it be a movie, TV show or online videos! 

• RPS pinned this topic

As you’d expect, Zack Snyder’s zombie movie is really, really fucking awful. I’ve still an hour to go and it’s the longest, stupidest shit ever (besides his Justice League).

I blame Batista for making me watch this. 

The Personal History of David Copperfield (the recent Armando Ianucci adaptation) is incredible. I had good expectations going in, but it still blew me away.

Wonderful script and direction, stellar cast, and Dev Patel just throws himself into it. Tremendous performance.

• Like 2

On 24/05/2021 at 14:08, CLDY said:

The Mitchells vs. The Machines is cute. I liked it. 

13 hours ago, GA! said:

It's my second favourite film of the year so far after Sound of Metal. Loved it.

I enjoyed it as well. The music rocks. 

On 14/05/2021 at 11:43, Jimmy said:

I love it, and really need to rewatch it. Though I think my favourite Herzog movies (documentaries aside) are probably still Fitzcarraldo or The Enigma Of Casper Hauser - possibly because the latter was the first of his films I saw, though, and I have a soft spot for it. The man's a genius, either way.

On 21/05/2021 at 17:19, Benjamin said:

As you’d expect, Zack Snyder’s zombie movie is really, really fucking awful. I’ve still an hour to go and it’s the longest, stupidest shit ever (besides his Justice League).

I blame Batista for making me watch this. 

I watched it last night, and it's appalling. No character development, abysmal pacing, just piss poor in almost every sense, and at least an hour too long. 

• Like 2

Being back in the cinema is so good. 

I've seen Judas and the Black Messiah, Nomadland and Ammonite since they've re-opened. Curzon have a new membership deal that's basically unlimited films, which is sorting me out right now. 

I think, especially with Nomadland, I had this wave of optimism for the future of cinema - because there is just no way that film is anywhere near as good at home as it is on the big screen. Visually, it is a stunning movie and it was so great to see in the cinema. 

Loads of great stuff coming out, finally get to see First Cow next week and I'm excited to catch Billie Piper's directional debut Rare Beasts. Also might try and see Sound of Metal again in the cinema cos the sound design deserves it alone. 

On 14/05/2021 at 11:43, Jimmy said:

Stroszek is so good.

Of Herzog's films, Nosferatu and Stroszek are probably my favorites.

Haven't actually seen Kasper Hauser yet but I have the BFI boxset so I'll probably get to it eventually.

New episodes of LUCIFER on Netflix. John Glover in the first one. He played the Devil in the good but sadly short-lived series BRIMSTONE.

Edited by GhostMachine
spelling error

I had my first cinema trip in god knows how long for A Quiet Place Part II and my god I forgot how amplified being in a cinema makes the experience, I felt like I was drowning in tension. Every time I thought it was as tense as it could get it ramped up another notch. Masterful sequel.

• Like 1

On 31/05/2021 at 21:14, Bad News Jericode said:

I had my first cinema trip in god knows how long for A Quiet Place Part II and my god I forgot how amplified being in a cinema makes the experience, I felt like I was drowning in tension. Every time I thought it was as tense as it could get it ramped up another notch. Masterful sequel.

I only saw the first very recently and absolutely loved it. I believe it's out in UK now but I wouldn't be able to sit in a cinema with a mask on for 2 hours.