What Did You Watch Today? 2021

Baddar

First Cow is one of the best films I've seen since the pandemic started - it's absolutely sublime, Kelly Reichardt is one of my favourite living filmmakers. It's so beautifully paced. 

I also thought a lot of The Killing of Two Lovers. It feels like the kind of film that would have real buzz if A24 was releasing it. Really well shot, really good music, really great performances. Makes for a tight, intense 85 mins. 

Being back in the cinema is the best. 

• Like 1

We’ve been watching Hilda on Netflix. It’s a fucking tremendous animated series for all ages. Kids getting into whimsical adventure in a world steeped in both fantasy and the mundane (such as tiny elves who love contracts.) A largely (if not all) British voice cast, simple and lovely animation, all in a Nordic vibes sorta world. Absolutely recommended.

Oh, and Hilda (our optimistic friendly protagonist) is voiced by Lady Mormont.

• Like 1

I watched The Conjuring 3. It was fine I guess. The story of Ed and Lorraine Warren as con artists or well-meaning people of faith is way more interesting to me than any of the supposed demonic possessions or incidents they've had any involvement in, if I'm going to be really honest. But it was an alright film I guess. And John Noble is in it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/06/2021 at 06:35, CLDY said:

I watched The Conjuring 3. It was fine I guess. The story of Ed and Lorraine Warren as con artists or well-meaning people of faith is way more interesting to me than any of the supposed demonic possessions or incidents they've had any involvement in, if I'm going to be really honest. But it was an alright film I guess. And John Noble is in it!

I don't think the Warrens were really con artists. I have their book GRAVEYARD, and also a book about them called DEMONLOGIST which I haven't read yet. BUT I do believe that the Amityville Horror = total bullshit. 

15 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

I don't think the Warrens were really con artists. I have their book GRAVEYARD, and also a book about them called DEMONLOGIST which I haven't read yet. BUT I do believe that the Amityville Horror = total bullshit. 

They were con artists, and the wife being an exec producer and making their characters glorified Avengers is hilarious.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nobody is 11/10 kitty cat bracelets, very fun movie. Loved it. Gonna watch it again soon I liked it that much. The whole movie's really fun, but in particular I really liked the 

Spoiler

Whole car chase scene leading up to the climax, that fight in the machine shop or whatever that his father-in-law owned. That whole stretch ruled ass.

• Like 1

I'm in self-isolation, so I've been ticking off some longer classics I haven't got round to yet, including JFK, Andrei Rublev and Solaris, amongst a bunch of other films, which I could talk for days about. 

But wanna quickly say that I thought Shadow in the Cloud, the new Chloe Grace Mortez Amazon film (which I was basically using as a nice Friday evening palette bit of fun to even out all these serious epics), is absolutely ridiculous & I had a great time - it's outrageous, but I also genuinely think it's well-paced and self-aware fun. Can see it working for a few people on here who basically want the modern equivalent of a B-movie. 

• Like 1

On 29/07/2021 at 17:31, CLDY said:

Nobody is 11/10 kitty cat bracelets, very fun movie. Loved it. Gonna watch it again soon I liked it that much. The whole movie's really fun, but in particular I really liked the 

Reveal hidden contents

I watched this with commentary and it's riveting.

"Yay! Michael Ironside!"

and

"Has anyone ever been that mad over a kitty cat bracelet?"

and according to Bob Odenkirk and Ilya Naishuller, the biggest argument on set was over putting parm on top of the lasagna (Connie Nielsen was opposed to it).

I watched Easy Rider for the first time.

"I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are."

• Like 1