General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

30 minutes ago, tristy said:

Merle Dandridge is making the jump from being the voice and face of Marlene in The Last of Us to actually playing her in the live action HBO series.

Excellent. Hope they expand her a bit in the show. She's one of those characters I definitely wanted to see more of explored.

well that last episode of Mare of Easttown was wild

Spoilering my thoughts but wow, Mare hit a lot closer to home than I thought it would.

Spoiler

My family has dealt with mental health, suicide attempts, drug addiction and a child who committed a crime, so like.... fuck, that was a tough finale. Really powerful stuff.

Traditions of the super wealthy American elite being weird and having roots in racism isnt that surprising.

I was honestly more shocked to learn about her familes wealth. But then, I really shouldn't be.

9 hours ago, Hobo said:

Traditions of the super wealthy American elite being weird and having roots in racism isnt that surprising.

I was honestly more shocked to learn about her familes wealth. But then, I really shouldn't be.

Yeah, I'm not really taking too much away from it other than "oh, she's incredibly rich" which does I guess affect my perception of her but like you said, it should really be more assumed that if someone's made it as an actor they're either rich, connected, or both. You can make it without those things but either dramatically helps.

Anyway, I just caught up on Hacks, which is on HBO Max and is wonderful.

• Like 1

Finished up season 5 of LUCIFER, on Netflix. Season 5 was supposed to be the last season, and the season finale would have been a fine ending, but there's going to be a season 6. Kind of glad they're doing another because what happened at the end of 5 should make things interesting....

Also 

Spoiler

The musical episode was excellent!

I got nothing out of the Ellie Kemper story. It's got a lot of social justice brainrot, "We need something to be mad about today" energy to it. Worse yet it's turned into one of those stories that get trotted out from time to time and are used by Fox News, etc to show how "unhinged" "the left" is.

More practically, putting the anger of a very problematic debutante ball on someone who at the time was 19 and not the structures that allow debutante balls to still be a thing is very lazy activism. Every new detail about the story that gets released makes it less a "KKK Beauty Queen" story and more a "Oh yeah, old money still does things like this, that's kinda weird" story.

Disappointed to see some usually reputable news sites jump on board the outrage clicks train. I'm looking at you AV Club.

Edited by damshow
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, damshow said:

Disappointed to see some usually reputable news sites jump on board the outrage clicks train. I'm looking at you AV Club.

to be fair, the AV Club is an absolute shell of what it once was. You still get good articles sometimes, some good reviews now and then for movies and music, but in a lot of the areas where they used to be essential reading (news aggregating, TV recaps) it's just a whole lot of nothing now.

• Like 2

Yeah, it used to be a must for me to check out their episodic reviews especially after watching an episode, but it got trashier, and a lot more snobby around 2017 or so, IIRC. 

Didn't a bigger corporation buy them out and that's when they changed a lot of their content?

12 hours ago, Benjamin said:

Yeah, it used to be a must for me to check out their episodic reviews especially after watching an episode, but it got trashier, and a lot more snobby around 2017 or so, IIRC. 

Didn't a bigger corporation buy them out and that's when they changed a lot of their content?

AVClub is under the umbrella of G/O Media, the same people who ruined Deadspin. Prior to that, Univision owned them. A lot of the G/O Media properties (Deadspin, AVC, Lifehacker, etc.) are total shit now. 

Drake Bell of Drake & Josh has been charged with disseminating material harmful to juveniles and attempted endangering children in Ohio. 

https://fox8.com/news/jared-bell-of-drake-and-josh-charged-with-crimes-against-a-child/

FOX 8 News has learned that he allegedly engaged in an inappropriate chat with the victim that, at times, was sexual in nature. The alleged incident happened on December 1, 2017.

Court documents show the Cleveland Division of Police was the arresting agency but does not say when he was arrested.

According to the Cuyahoga County Prosecutor’s Office, the victim, 15, filed a report with her local police department in Canada in October 2018 regarding a incident involving Bell that occurred the previous year in Cleveland.