General Television Thread 2021

GhostMachine

Charisma Carpenter and Amber Benson have both come out in support of Ray Fisher, after Fisher’s allegations of an abusive and unprofessional work environment while he was working with Joss Whedon on Justice League. Charisma Carpenter confirmed she was fired from Buffy for being pregnant, and Amber Benson said that the set of Buffy was a toxic work environment. 

A couple years back, Kai Cole detailed how Whedon is a hypocrite and abuser but it wound up being dismissed by a lot of people as “bitter ex-wife stuff”. 

Edited by How The Cloud Stole Christ

On 08/02/2021 at 21:28, damshow said:

I think there's been a major wave of American animation that feels like it's anime-influenced because cartoons in America had an extremely rough run from the 70s all the way into the mid-00s. 

Yeah, I would describe Kipo as definitely influenced by anime, but written from an American perspective, both in art style and tone. 

• Like 1

The first episode of Clarice aired last night. I just had a chance to watch it and while it will never live up to its source material in my eyes, I quite enjoyed it.

Now it’s Queen Latifah in The Equalizer role which is a weird jump from Denzel but I’ll give it a shot

On 10/02/2021 at 12:00, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

Charisma Carpenter and Amber Benson have both come out in support of Ray Fisher, after Fisher’s allegations of an abusive and unprofessional work environment while he was working with Joss Whedon on Justice League. Charisma Carpenter confirmed she was fired from Buffy for being pregnant, and Amber Benson said that the set of Buffy was a toxic work environment. 

A couple years back, Kai Cole detailed how Whedon is a hypocrite and abuser but it wound up being dismissed by a lot of people as “bitter ex-wife stuff”. 

Michelle Trachtenberg's also come forward.

“I am brave enough now as a 35 year old woman....To repost [Gellar’s statement]. Because. This must. Be known,” Trachtenberg wrote on Instagram. “As a teenager. With his not appropriate behavior....very. Not. Appropriate. So now. People know. What Joss. Did.

“The last. Comment I will make on this. Was. There was a rule. Saying. He’s not allowed in a room alone with Michelle again,” she later updated her caption.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2021-02-12/joss-whedon-michelle-trachtenberg-buffy-ray-fisher

I didn't realize that Young Rock is created by the same person who created Don't Trust The B in Apartment 23 and the Fresh off The Boat TV series. I'm truthfully skeptical going in but now that I know that, I dunno, I may try to give the show a shot.

Absolutely cracking up that they never ended up changing that name. Also, Annie Murphy is my favorite part of Schitt's Creek so I'm looking forward to this.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Absolutely cracking up that they never ended up changing that name. Also, Annie Murphy is my favorite part of Schitt's Creek so I'm looking forward to this.

Never heard of this show until now, but I'm sold

AVClub wrote about first impressions from Young Rock

Essentially, the leads who play The Rock throughout his childhood and adolescence are all good and have very emotional, heartwarming performances, but the comedy falls flat. Mind, this is on the basis of 1 episode and the show has plenty of room to grow, but it sounds promising!

10 hours ago, How The Cloud Stole Christ said:

AVClub wrote about first impressions from Young Rock

Essentially, the leads who play The Rock throughout his childhood and adolescence are all good and have very emotional, heartwarming performances, but the comedy falls flat. Mind, this is on the basis of 1 episode and the show has plenty of room to grow, but it sounds promising!

I enjoyed the first episode!

Anyway anyone else watching Resident Alien? I'm loving it so far!

So we gave Kipo a go.

I stand by my statement that the animation looks anime influenced. I think the creator honestly wears that on his sleeve and loves it.

But, despite whatever reservations I had, we are absolutely loving it. It’s exactly the sort of show we needed to fill that Steven Universe void.

• Like 3