Comic Book Films & TV Thread 2021

Maxx

52 minutes ago, RoHitman Reigns said:

Speaking of Disney+, the price shall be raising to $7.99 come April 19th for those who have it. Not a monumental increase and still so cheap for the value, but has to be noted.

The addition of the Fox content through Star has been totally worth any price increase. They added a whole bunch of new stuff when it launched last month, and they've barely scratched the surface on what they have available to them.

5 hours ago, Gabriel said:

The addition of the Fox content through Star has been totally worth any price increase. They added a whole bunch of new stuff when it launched last month, and they've barely scratched the surface on what they have available to them.

For non-US subs, yeah. We're basically paying a little extra for all this Marvel content I guess? I dunno, either way I'm fine with it because as far as I can tell, having the Verizon bundle, the price hike doesn't affect my bill at all so I'm paying the same regardless.

5 hours ago, tristy said:

For non-US subs, yeah. We're basically paying a little extra for all this Marvel content I guess? I dunno, either way I'm fine with it because as far as I can tell, having the Verizon bundle, the price hike doesn't affect my bill at all so I'm paying the same regardless.

I totally forgot that y'all Americans didn't get the Fox content on Disney... but you have Hulu, I guess, right? I mean, it's more expensive to have both, but Hulu's got more content than just the Fox stuff.

Once they add King of the Hill and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia to Star for international subscribers, they can go ahead and charge me double and I'll still be happy.

He managed to put himself in a no-lose petition. He'd have had a massive amount of people proclaiming it to be great irrespective of whether it was objectively any good. And it's not like he has much to improve on, is it? The original Justice League film was a bastardised mess and led to ridicule. Quite easy to make a better film when you have millions of dollars and double the running time to tell a story that was cut to shreds. Obviously with this re-shoot/remake he was able to see what did and didn't work and pander/fan service to the audience.

Whilst I don't doubt Whedon's version was different from Snyder's original vision, I highly doubt this film will completely represent that vision either as no doubt it has altered in the time passed. Must be nice to almost test drive a film/concept and then get the chance at a do-over. No way did Warner Bros greenlight a 4 hour film to start with.

One hour into Justice League: The Do Over. Some thoughts..

Spoiler

I feel like a lot of "stuff" has happened, but nothing has happened.

Hey look, Wonder Woman is killing people now too, and vaporized one guy completely.

Amazon logic "Ok so dropping a building on this guy didn't work, so lets shoot him with some arrows!"

Continued Amazon logic "Ok this dude now has like 30 arrows in him...lets use rope!"

So glad to see Aquaman turn back into Mr. Broody McGrimdark. I know this is pre-Aquaman movie but he was so much better in that

Ok so that was a hell of a slog.  I had to take a few breaks during it.  It was better then I expected, but considering I expected "horseshit", thats not huge praise. 

Before Javicia Leslie was cast as the new Batwoman, there were rumors that Wallis Day was going to be cast.

Well, in way, she has. Apparently she's replacing Ruby Rose as Kate Kane. The in-show explanation being 

Spoiler

Kate survived the plan crash, but badly burned. Guess she'll be having plastic surgery.

But still not enough to get me to give the show another shot.

They just need to give up on Batwoman as it's own show. It seems cursed. Just saddle up closer to DC and see if they can get Batman fully now that Gotham is done and DC has loosened up on Superman on TV. Get Batman, Cat Woman, Batgirl and maybe Tim Drake on a show and use Batwoman as an occasional big guest character. 

They should have had the plane crash be a cover for Kate leaving to go find Bruce. ie, faking her death so that Alice would chill the fuck out while she's gone. But not letting anyone know, leading to Ryan still becoming the new Batwoman.

My biggest problems with the show that led me to quit watching were both the casting and writing. Rachel Skarsten (Alice) is hands down the best actor on the show. Ruby Rose is not that good an actress, and Dougray Scott seriously lacks charisma. Its hard to believe he was the original choice to play Wolverine over Hugh Jackman. The Alice stuff got old quick, and the crap about Jacob Kane hunting Batwoman, not knowing she's his daugther, didn't help.

Ray Fisher spoke at length with The Hollywood Reporter about his allegations against Joss Whedon

Whedon sent out an email asking for questions, comments or "fulsome praise," but Fisher says it became clear: "All he was looking for was the fulsome praise." Trying to strike a jocular tone, Fisher responded that he mourned the loss of the Cyborg material but was moving on. He said he had notes to avoid issues in terms of representation of the character. But in a call with Whedon, Fisher says he had barely started to talk when the filmmaker cut him off. "It feels like I'm taking notes right now, and I don't like taking notes from anybody — not even Robert Downey Jr.," he said. Other sources on the project say Whedon was similarly dismissive of Gadot and Momoa when they questioned new lines.

Once Whedon got involved, Fisher says that Johns told him that it was problematic that Cyborg smiled only twice in the movie. Fisher says he later learned from a witness who participated in the investigation that Johns and other top executives, including then-DC Films co-chairman Jon Berg and Warners studio chief Toby Emmerich, had discussions in which they said they could not have "an angry Black man" at the center of the film. Johns' rep responds that once the chairman of the studio mandated a brighter tone for the film, all further discussions centered on "adding joy and hopefulness to all six superheroes. There are always conversations about avoiding any stereotype of race, gender or sexuality."

Also, this feels particularly icky to me:

Fisher says Johns did not yield. "That was the last creative conversation about anything that Geoff Johns and I had. I knew I was on my own," Fisher says. Johns' rep denies that he ever dismissed any comments, adding that Fisher knew Johns — whose spokesperson requested that he be identified as Lebanese American — "had evolved traditionally all-white DC properties like Shazam, Justice Society of America and others into diverse groups of heroes" in his extensive work as a comic book author.

EDIT: I'm reading it at a glacial pace, but holy shit:

Several sources who spoke to Fisher around this time were willing to talk to a Warners investigator. Among them was writer Nadria Tucker, who tweeted Feb. 24: "I haven't spoken to Geoff Johns since the day on Krypton when he tried to tell me what is and is not a Black thing." Tucker tells THR that Johns objected when a Black female character's hairstyle was changed in scenes that took place on different days. "I said Black women, we tend to change our hair frequently. It's not weird, it's a Black thing," she says. "And he said, 'No, it's not.' "

Also, wasn't Johns dismissed from DC over some allegations?