Comic Book Films & TV Thread 2021

Maxx

Been loving HBO MAx just for the DCAU movies, though I think I'm missing out on a lot of stuff by not watching the series' also.

Also watched Birds of Prey today and I liked it more then I thought I would.  I did wish it was a bit more lineal.  All the flashbacks and some weren't indicated that they were flashbacks left me a little confused.  Ewan McGregor was jsut magic as The Black Mask though

• Like 1

Been slowly making my way through Doom Patrol over the last few weeks and its insanely fun

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of Justice League, it took me two weeks to finish it, but I did. Mainly because the first two parts are so goddamn boring that I had to turn it off last weekend. Basically, with this and the Whedon cut, there's a good movie somewhere in between, but neither of them are it. One just cuts out everything to get to the "action", and the other expands on almost everything and is way too pretentious at times for it's own good, IE: Flash saving Iris set to Song To The Siren. It just wasn't needed, and then immediately after you're back to goofy Barry Allen. Just some really weird choices in this thing. Why the fuck was Joker and Deathstroke with Batman, Cyborg, Flash and Mera in the future fighting Evil Superman? No reason given, just seems like a way to shoehorn two characters into the movie. As if it wasn't already bloated with new characters (for the movie, not for the audiences).

And with a budget like they had for this, the CGI is still this fucking terrible? Maybe I'm spoiled by Marvel (although, Bruce in the Hulkbuster in Infinity War was pretty bad, but nothing like this movie).

Endgame being three hours worked because you had 10 years and like two dozen movies before it to draw off of. This had maybe the same amount of time in years before it since the first film, but WAY less movies to pull from. It's just slapped together, and a four hour cut is just pure fan service for those online that constantly complained they wanted to see it. Well, it's here, it has been for a few months, and they honestly were right in cutting a lot of this shit out of the final movie. Maybe not to the extent that they did, but do I need to see a 5 minute scene with Martha and Lois talking about how people feel now that Superman is dead? It's a nice little extra thing, but it doesn't add much. And then at the end of the scene, anything you might have felt by that scene is ruined by the twist (if you're like me, anyway).

4 hours ago, Bad News Jericode said:

Looks promising.  I actually watch the first one after renting it from a Redbox one night, since for some reason I can't rent it on YT, only buy it.  I liked it, it wasn't great but no where near as bad as everyone else seemed to think it was

• 2 weeks later...

Is Magneto actually the good guy? Who would win in a fight - Batman or Superman? 

Discuss the latest and greatest of all the Comic Book Films and TV and any other news. 

• 2 weeks later...

Shazam 2 teaser

Shazam surprised me with how much of a fun movie it was.  Really enjoyed it when I watched it after getting HBO Max.  Really looking forward to Shazam 2 (I was also looking forward to WW84 and...well I still have yet to watch it..)

WW84 isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I enjoyed it a lot more than any of the recent Batman/Superman movies, anyway.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't like Gal Gadot or the first Wonder Woman movie. At all.

22 minutes ago, tristy said:

WW84 isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I enjoyed it a lot more than any of the recent Batman/Superman movies, anyway.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't like Gal Gadot or the first Wonder Woman movie. At all.

I thought the first Wonder Woman movie was the best Superman movie I've ever seen.  I do intend to watch WW84, but after watching/reading some reviews of it, I'm not overly hopeful for it.  I do hope I'm wrong though

I got absolutely nothing from WW84 beyond "Kristen Wiig would probably be fun doing this in a better movie." It's certainly not a nightmare to watch the way Batman v. Superman is but it's somewhere around my bottom rung of DCU movies.

Kristen Wiig and Pedro Pascal made the movie, for sure. And Chris Pine's character interacting with 1980s society. But I don't know if it's quite at the bottom, with the likes of BvS, Suicide Squad, Justice League (both cuts), etc. I don't know what's considered canon for their movie universe anymore, but this movie, Shazam and Birds of Prey I enjoyed WAY more than anything else I've seen from their recent outings.

I haven't seen Man Of Steel but I'm not a big Superman fan to begin with (and I hate how they changed/glossed over a lot of stuff in the animated Red Son movie).

6 minutes ago, tristy said:

Birds of Prey

God I liked that movie a lot more then I thought I would.  The whole thing of "The Fantabulous Emancipation" etc...title turned me off from seeing the movie, but once I actually watched it I thought it was much better then I expected it to be

• Like 1

I think Birds of Prey is really good and I'm so glad I had AMC's movie pass by the time it came out so I could take a flier on it. The fight choreography is excellent, Mary Elizabeth Winstead's take on Huntress is great, and it honestly might be my favorite take on Gotham City in a good while.

• Like 1

I really liked Birds of Prey. Anyone who's ever had a good breakfast sandwich related so hard with that movie.

It did a lot of things really well but still fell into the trap of "we need this to set up more movies down the line" at times. It was definitely on the high-end of comic book movies and especially DC movies for me. Of the recent offerings it probably slots into the top 3 with Shazam and the first Wonder Woman. The order of those varies day-to-day.

Edited by damshow

Watched WW84 today.  It was ok.  It wasn't bottom rung like the Snyder movies, but it wasn't top tier like Wonder Woman, Shazam or Aquaman.

Unlike the MCU, I can rank the DCEU movies in an order!

1.  Shazam

2.  Wonder Woman

3.  Aquaman (seriously, the movie was SO much better then I expected it to be)

4.  Birds of Prey

5.  Justice League: The Snyder Cut

6.  WW84

7.  Batman Vs. Superman

8.  Suicide Squad

9.  Justice League: The Whedon Cut

10.  Man of Steel

1-4 are basically "Liked it, will watch again", 5&6 are "Saw it, no need to watch it again", 7-10 are "Please erase these from my memory"