Comic Book Films & TV Thread 2021

Maxx

7 hours ago, Lint said:

Well the reviews for James Gunn's "The Suicide Squad" aren't surprising.  95% on RT.  AVClub says "Its vulgar, immature and gratuitous..and thats what makes it great" and "James Gunn's take on DC's squad of amoral antiheroes take the Guardians Of The Galaxy filmmaker's style to new, R-rated heights"

So looking forward to watching it over the weekend

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Cena steals the whole thing. 

• Like 1

15 minutes in...man I've seen "Super" so I know what James Gunn can do with an R rated superhero movie.

But seeing what he's doing with a licensed R rated superhero movie...

tumblr_ov43u6wmdN1u1ljrzo1_540.gif

• Like 1

Bloodsport, Ratcatcher 2 and Peacemaker were the standout characters, which is surprising given it's a movie with fucking Harley Quinn. Shockingly little of Harley in this movie - while I'm not a huge fan of the character, I do like Margot Robbie in the role a lot (I really liked Birds of Prey).

This movie, BoP and Shazam are still the only good DC movies in my mind. Everything else actively sucks or is just decent.

Bring on the Peacemaker show!

• Like 2

Watched TSS yesterday, mind I haven't seen the first film but other than characters returning they never bothered to mention anythign that happened in the previous film so for all intents it probably got retconned into the bin.

Really enjoyed it, it was gruesome and splattery, it was extremely gratuitous to the point where it even puts Deadpool 1 to shame in terms of how much death and maiming there's going on. But it never feels overly 'in your face' (or without face for some) gory.

Bloodsport and Ratcatcher were great, glad Elba's finally landed himself what seems to be a long term gig because he's really good in the role even though he was effectively thrown in as 'not-deadshot'. Cena came across extremely well too, a bit stiff and wooden at a few times, but on the same token he's not any worse than Kinnaman was. And they handled Cena's limitations extremely well.

Echo the sentiment on Ratcatcher, she's great, hard to imagine this is her first ever English role, she provided a spark of humanity throughout without feeling like a stick in the mud.

And like Tristy said, Harley was delightful in her role, but it was also pretty sedate and I felt not having to be the bright spark in an entire film does her well because she was able to be used more sparingly.

All in all, just a great film, easily the best DC film they've made. 2 hours flew by, it was just a good dumb goofy 18+ romp. The fresh air that Deadpool was, but honestly better.

I'm pretty sure this film doesn't have any connection to the previous one and is considered a reboot of sorts, right?

5 hours ago, CLDY said:

I'm pretty sure this film doesn't have any connection to the previous one and is considered a reboot of sorts, right?

Kind of a reboot, kind of a sequel, its confusing

I don't see any reason to think of TSS as a reboot. You don't need to know a single thing that happened in the first one to watch this one but that doesn't make it a reboot.

Anyway, I thought it was good. Ratcatcher II was a delight, wild that Sylvester Stallone as a big dumb shark isn't my favorite new character. I liked the amount of Harley in the movie, it was a really good use of her and her portion of the story and general running gags are pretty great.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Lint said:

But did the rat who played Sebastian (arguably the star of the movie) do their own scenes? An inquiring public want to know!

• Haha 1

I give the first SS movie about a 3.75 out of 5, the second a solid 4.5.

Spoiler

Peacemaker better have a painful, gruesome death if he's in the next one. (Either that, or one of the support staff detonates his cortex bomb, if he has one.)

I started Superman & Lois on The CW this morning. I like it more than I’ve liked any of the other CW superhero shows, and I think that’s largely down to the premise (older Superman and Lois with 2 teenage boys) but the cast is pretty great. Tyler Hoechlin makes a good Superman. 

19 hours ago, CLDY said:

I started Superman & Lois on The CW this morning. I like it more than I’ve liked any of the other CW superhero shows, and I think that’s largely down to the premise (older Superman and Lois with 2 teenage boys) but the cast is pretty great. Tyler Hoechlin makes a good Superman. 

I was just coming into this thread to post about the show.  Its seriously a really great show.  It has a nice balance between the comedy and drama, the CGI is really on point (I think HBO is partly funding the show), and the cast is spectacular.  You always expect there to be drama between the twins, but it always winds up with the unpowered one going "Nah, your my twin, we're cool!"

Also, Tyler Hoechlin is a great Superman.  Seriously, look at this chin

superman-costume-teaser.jpg?w=620&h=420&

That is a great and handsome Superman

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Really enjoyed The Suicide Squad. Might be the most violent / bloody certificate 15 film I've seen too.