What music are you listening to?

Benji

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A Scottish band called Cold Years have announced that they're playing Bridgend of all places (sandwiched in the middle of a tour also going to Newcastle, London, Birmingham, and Edinburgh to make it look weirder) so figured I'd check them out, actually really enjoying them.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Used for the closing credits of Sennentuntschi, a nasty little Swiss folk horror flick from 2010. The lyrics are strangely appropriate and all kinds of wrong. One of the heaviest things I've heard in a while, in multiple senses of the word.

Dust comes across my radar every now and again, and it feels like I rediscover them each time. Same with Pentagram.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I knew the Reba version first, but the original is good in its own right I think. I like the way the song's arranged in the original and I don't think the Reba version has those tinkling bells that I find myself quite liking

working my way through some of the new releases on my list this morning, and these are the two that have stood out so far:

The band were described as "post-rock", but that normally suggests big sweeping soundscapes and tape loops to me, whereas this is groovy and danceable, and really brilliant stuff.

Whereas this is from The Dead South's new covers album - it's a bit patchy in places, but this a really fun version of a CKY song I haven't even thought about in years, the riff translates surprisingly well to a country arrangement, much better than the cover of Chop Suey on the same album. There's also a fun version of my favourite Misfits song, Saturday Night, and a great version of "We Used To Vacation" by Cold War Kids.

On 16/03/2022 at 12:48, Cornelius Weinerbottom said:

I knew the Reba version first, but the original is good in its own right I think. I like the way the song's arranged in the original and I don't think the Reba version has those tinkling bells that I find myself quite liking

While I really like the song, don't even get me started on the hypocrisy that the song involves

• 2 weeks later...

Dream Widow - March of the Insane.

Dave Grohl went and produced an 8 track EP worth of metal tracks for the fake band in Studio 666. Some really fun mixes on there 'Encino' reminds me of some Strapping Young Lad, March of the Insane' is just straight up early thrash. and you've got some great sludgy grungy tracks in the mix too.

• Like 2

March of the Insane really gave me like, early Venom vibes. Like "Black Metal" era Venom. I like how just about every song has a different vibe like that, like you said there's some sludgy tracks, thrashy ones, etc. I can't remember what track it was (one of the sludgy ones) but it sounded like it could've been a Crowbar song. 

• Like 1