Pokémon: (Mew)Two Strikes Back

Bobfoc

I don't think it would be much to ask for one rest year with some extended DLC or whatever and use the extra time to polish the graphics. Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra were good additions to SwSh, I'd take 4 good DLC packs over a brand new release of it meant that the subsequent games were a big graphical improvement.

I've also just remembered that we hopefully get Gen 5 remakes next and I really want them to be good damn it.

On 17/11/2022 at 10:01, Bobfoc said:

As with the previews, almost all the reviews for Scarlet and Violet mention that the game's technical performance is poor. The frame rate chugs a lot, apparently.

However, it seems that there are plenty of good ideas in the game itself. Stuttering issues will matter less in a turn-based game like Pokemon than in games that use real-time battles.

Haven't played a new game since original SuMo because of the loading times, so to read this is depressing. Pokémon has become old Assassin's Creed at the rate they are half heartedly cranking flawed stuff out. Damn shame.

I’ve been playing hand held and not noticed if that lends credence to those reviews.

I chose Fuecoco coz he’s well deeply. Since when did your rival pick what’s weak to your Pokemon? Plus, since when did you START with a power move like ember?

They really take the grind out, I caught Pokemon in the first two areas and in the mini grind to get big coco to level 10 before the lighthouse, the rest of my losers are like level 7

On 18/11/2022 at 15:04, Brandon Cutler Fan Account said:

I don't think it would be much to ask for one rest year with some extended DLC or whatever and use the extra time to polish the graphics. Isle of Armor and The Crown Tundra were good additions to SwSh, I'd take 4 good DLC packs over a brand new release of it meant that the subsequent games were a big graphical improvement.

I've also just remembered that we hopefully get Gen 5 remakes next and I really want them to be good damn it.

I don't disagree with you, that ideally that the games would be released less frequently and with more polish. But the release schedule of Pokemon has ensured it's probably the best selling and most culturally relevant game franchise ever. That's why Pokemon is still relevant today. The games are churned out enough that people keep buying them year after year and the animes still keep getting produced and they can make more cards because they have new Pokemon and they can add them to Pokemon Go so people engage that way. So we are stuck with games that are more concerned with being released with new Pokemon rather than releasing "great games". 

I'm like 2-4 hours into Violet and it's great. The new Pokemon's are the best designed since BW. The QOL improvement and pace of the game. It's clearly undercooked - lots of frame pop ins, some bizarre hiccups. Nothing game breaking though. 

Whilst I'm enjoying it, the new game world experience leaves me feeling a bit uneasy. You've got wild Pokémon running up to you being friendly, but they're just setting themselves up to get attacked. I had a group of Psyducks run up to me whilst I was training a Pikachu, two of them got taken down, the second one getting scared after the first one was beaten, one then started running for its life whilst Pikachu ran after it hunting it down like some kind of grizzly horror movie.

Its taken 25 years but this mechanic might be the thing that makes me feel guilty about what this game is actually about. Adding emotions to the cannon fodder isn't making it a pleasant experience. The normal battles don't feel as bad because at least they're defending themselves.

• Haha 1

I really like the open world... accidentally found a trainer with two level 17/18 pokemon, when most of my team was 14/15 (and I didn't have type advantages). Actually made for a tough fight. Just beat my first Titan Pokemon too, but that was pretty easy. 

Really enjoying this so far.

I don't seem to have run into any of the technical problems that have been plaguing some people other than a bit of frame rate slowdown.

I focused on the Titan quests first and the rewards from those have made it really easy to move around the map quickly.

Yea, I have had zero tech issues I have to say. It's been running smooth here. 

I'm having a tough time with the open world... I enjoy it, but there's no structure and it's messing with my head a bit haha. But I'm enjoying the game. 

I've done one Gym, one Titan and one Team Star camp. Tried a secon gym but I've lost twice, so I'm training up my type advantage pokemon now. 

So...I've played a lot, just free-roaming and ignored the menus for the most part. My dex is already 100+. Taken down one Titan and beat one gym.

I've also been playing docked the entire time.

There's no other way to say it than this game feels the most incomplete of all the mainline Pokémon games. It feels unfinished. The most confusing glitches are images of undiscovered beasties showing up when you flick through the dex, and how your motorcycle-mon jumps and bases itself on the ground. Also, the dex shows outlines for mons I haven't actually seen and kind of ruined a few evolutions for me.

Even with lots of polish, these massive fairly-empty environments are not fun unless you can fly. Legends Arceus was fun without flight, for direct comparison. Speaking of which, why are the skies so empty-looking as well?

P.S. Whoever designed the menus is a mega-douche. Give me convenience or give me death.

I'l try to focus on some of the missions but this has been quite disappointing. The creature design remains excellent though. 

I feel a bit stuck right now, I want to take out the Titans because the concept of better open world traversal is a big selling point, I've beaten one but the Sky one just mauled me. Theoretically that means I need to train up my team, but by doing that I worry I'm making the gym battles and hideouts too easy.

Those of you who have got further - do the gyms and hideouts change levels depending on your progress or levels?

2 hours ago, Chris2K said:

I feel a bit stuck right now, I want to take out the Titans because the concept of better open world traversal is a big selling point, I've beaten one but the Sky one just mauled me. Theoretically that means I need to train up my team, but by doing that I worry I'm making the gym battles and hideouts too easy.

Those of you who have got further - do the gyms and hideouts change levels depending on your progress or levels?

From what I've heard, they don't scale. I've not experienced it myself though. 

Which Pokemon have special evolution requirements? I know Pawmo needs to take 1000 steps with you. Just curious of whoever else for when/if I have them on my team.

Edit: Just got my first shiny! Mudbray, who I'm not too interested in using sadly.