Random Sport Titbits

OctoberRaven

I remember as a kid having the Sports Illustrated for Kids sports dictionary that talked about all kinds of sports across the world and it was so cool. Like Jai Alai, the hell is that? Hahaha

To an extent it's still a relatively new sport, and that's going to vary across Europe and the world. Even in England when I was at school the girls struggled and failed to pull a team together, whereas now my daughter plays with loads every week. The standard is going to build and build but it can't happen overnight.

• Admin

The Colombian football players’ association has called for an investigation into suspicious circumstances surrounding a key promotion match that was decided by a late goal that one senior player called an “embarrassment for Colombian football”.

Llaneros played Unión Magdalena at home on Saturday night and were leading 1-0 until the 95th minute, when the visitors scored twice in succession. Video of the winning goal appeared to show the Llaneros players backing off their opponents and allowing them to score.

The result meant that Unión Magdalena are promoted to the top tier, the Dimayor league, ahead of Fortaleza, who lost 2-1 at home the same night to Bogota.

“Give the cloak of doubt that the result of the match between @ClubLlanerosFC and @UnionMagdalena has generated, we ask the disciplinary commission of the @Dimayor to carry out a rigorous investigation as soon as possible,” the professional footballers’ association ACOLFUTPRO said in a tweet.

Neither of the clubs responded immediately to requests for comment, although Unión Magdalena tweeted the result was for “those who think anything is possible”.

Two Colombian internationals expressed their unease at the happenings.

In a tweet, Juan Cuadrado, the captain of Italian side Juventus, called the Unión Magdalena goal “a lack of respect”. His Colombian teammate, Matheus Uribe, replied, saying it was “an embarrassment for Colombian football”.

Fortaleza coach Nelson Flórez broke down in tears at the post-match press conference. While admitting they had not done their part by winning, he nevertheless questioned the outcome.

“I am not ashamed to cry, because I feel robbed,” he said. “We can lose, but not this way.”

• Like 1

Here's one.. Scott Boland to become the 2nd Indiginous Australian to play Test Cricket.

Also, on Thursday, the United States defeated Ireland in a T20 :) Thank god Americans don't rate cricket.

• 3 weeks later...

This won't mean much to many people, but Colin Slater, who did the radio commentary for Notts County all the way from the late 1950s to 2018, has died today aged 87. His voice is as familiar to me as those of John Motson and Barry Davies when it comes to football. He's a rare example of a club legend who was never actually a professional player or staff member.

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

...Also on Sunday a group of top Ukrainian athletes called on Russian and Belarusian athletes to be banned from competition.

The group has written to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and International Paralympic Committee (IPC) calling on them to "immediately suspend" the Russian and Belarusian Olympic and Paralympic Committees.

They said the suspensions should be made following Russia's invasion of Ukraine and called for it to include the upcoming 2022 Beijing Paralympic Games.

Russia is already banned from the Olympics and Paralympics due to a doping scandal but a limited number of athletes are allowed to compete under a neutral flag.

"Russia's invasion of Ukraine, supported by Belarus, is a clear breach of the Olympic and Paralympic Charters - a breach that must be met with strong sanctions," the letter states.

"Athletes, our countrymen, our families, and our friends are in grave danger as a result this aggressive assault.

"Athletes in Ukraine are united in this call. It has been a challenge to speak with all athletes from Ukraine as they are seeking safety in bomb shelters."

Among those to sign the letter are former world champion triple jumper Olga Saladukha, world-record holding swimmer Andrey Govorov and dozens more. It is also backed by the international athlete-led group Global Athlete.

The International Paralympic committee board meets on Wednesday.

The International Judo Federation has suspended Russian president Vladimir Putin as its honorary president.

Boxing's world governing bodies the IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO say they will not sanction any title fights in Russia.

Ukrainian tennis player Elina Svitolina will donate prize money to aid efforts.

The world number 15 says the money will be used to "support the army and humanitarian needs and help them to defend you, our country".

At the Fencing World Cup in Cairo, Ukraine's men's foil team refused to fence against Russia on Sunday.

"This is our protest against the war. We cannot fence against them while our families are in danger, and everybody is in danger," said the team.

Meanwhile, Premier League football club Chelsea said the situation in Ukraine was "horrific and devastating".

The statement came after Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich, the Russia billionaire who is believed to be close to Putin, was criticised for not mentioning the war when he announced he was handing over "stewardship and care" of the club.

Putin is a blackbelt in judo and was awarded the eighth dan, one of the sport's highest honours, by the International Judo Federation (IJF) in 2012. He has also co-authored a book titled Judo: History, Theory, Practice.

"In light of the ongoing war conflict in Ukraine, the International Judo Federation announces the suspension of Mr Vladimir Putin's status as Honorary President and Ambassador of the International Judo Federation," the IJF said.

Announcing their move, the IBF, WBA, WBC and WBO said: "Just as this war has put a stop to boxing in Ukraine, our organisations will not sanction fights in Russia until further assessment of the situation."

• 1 month later...
  • Admin

Jeff Stelling has made a surprise U-turn on his decision to leave the Sky Sports programme Soccer Saturday at the end of the season and announced he will present the show for at least another year.

Stelling, 67, announced in October this would be his last season fronting Sky’s successful show, and was expected to leave in May at the end of the domestic season.

However the veteran presenter and Hartlepool fan, who has worked at Sky for 30 years, has had a change of heart and said on Monday: “Sky Sports is my home, and the Soccer Saturday team are a big part of my life.

“As the end of the season approached, and I was preparing to say goodbye, I realised that I was not ready to blow the final whistle and leave the best job in the world.

“I am thrilled to be staying, and excited about moving the show forward and creating more special Saturday afternoons on Sky Sports.”

It puts to an end the speculation over who could be handed the daunting task of stepping into Stelling’s shoes, and the news clearly came as a relief to the management at Sky, who confirmed Stelling will stay for the 2022-23 season.

Jonathan Licht, managing director of Sky Sports, said: “Football fans everywhere will be delighted that Jeff will continue to host Soccer Saturday.

“He is a massive part of Saturday afternoon life and everyone at Sky Sports shares the joy this news will bring. We just can’t get enough of Jeff, and can’t wait to bring more of his broadcasting magic to our viewers.”

Unbelievable.