England - The Southgate Years

Lineker

On 8/28/2016 at 12:56, Lineker said:

Sam tried and failed to call up Steven N’Zonzi. Yup.

This is something that England should do more of. It was the cornerstone of Ireland's successful teams of the 80s and early 90s! There were more English and Scottish born players in those squads than Irish ones. They even had Tony "Oh whoops, I'm actually not eligible as it turns out but it's OK I've retired now" Cascarino.

21 minutes ago, Freelance Hobo said:

This is something that England should do more of. It was the cornerstone of Ireland's successful teams of the 80s and early 90s! There were more English and Scottish born players in those squads than Irish ones. They even had Tony "Oh whoops, I'm actually not eligible as it turns out but it's OK I've retired now" Cascarino.

Ah yes, The England B-Team

27 minutes ago, Freelance Hobo said:

Cascarino was eligible. His mother was legally adopted by an Irish parent so he was eligible for a passport and therefore to play. Obviously he had no Irish blood, but he was eligible!

Man is a legend though nonetheless!

Ah, I misconstrued the whole thing.

And let's not forget one of the greatest Irish internationals: Joey Lapria from the University of Notre Dame who picked up 1 cap during the Irish national team's tour of the US!

?width=630&version=945357