General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

Talking about Horizon earlier in the weekend with a few of you guys in this thread got me itching to go back and finish up any trophies I hadn't gotten. Well, now, as far as the main game goes, I have ONE left before I get the platinum and I can't for the life of me get it. It's one last time trial at a Hunting Lodge, where you have to loot 4 containers from a Shell-Walker. And I just can't do it. This weekend I've spent probably an hour or two just trying that one challenge and it's so frustrating. Fuck.

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like that depends entirely on how much of a fan of Kojima you are vs. the Assassin's Creed games. I'd probably get Assassin's Creed myself because the appeal to Death Stranding is, to me, "wow this game is bonkers" and I'm afraid that would lose its luster just a few hours in for me, personally.

Death Stranding: Walking simulator with an insane story. It's something you have to experience, it's unique and different but definitely not for everyone.

Assasins Creed Odyssey: If you've played Origins/Valhalla, then you know what Odyssey is like. The world is huge, maybe a bit too huge for its own good. It has replaced the sneak-stabbing for Action-Adventure RPG gameplay. The story, it's a bit tepid at times but probably the best after Ezio and Ed Kenway. (Haven't played Valhalla)

1 minute ago, FLiam said:

I am definitely leaning toward AC. I loved Origins. Did it evolve any different to that game or is it kind of the same game just in Greece? 

I feel like that’s the nature of AC games and yet I still always buy them. Origins evolved the game more than any other game and then the last few have basically repeated the formula. Still love them though. I need to spend some time on Valhalla soon

28 minutes ago, Baddar said:

Evo Web has all the mods you need. As for an option file, I subscribe to the PES Universe one for a fiver a year, but by now, there's more than likely plenty of free ones available, including at Evo Web.

Any specific packs (Beyond option files) that you might suggest? I haven't touched a non-FM footie game since like FIFA 14, so I am well behind the curve.

The option files include things like correct kits, logos, competition badges etc, but the mods do other things.

If you follow the instructions on how to install sider, you can add the real stadiums for pretty much every team in the game, and have an unlimited supply of balls, scoreboards and TV broadcast packages.

• Like 1

Playing Nier again on Gamepass. Finished ending A last night, working on B for the first time now! The hacking minigame is neat!

The story is fascinating, even if I don't understand a lot of it. I suggest everyone else try!

With Resident Evil Village out, I thought I'd play through Resident Evil 7. I previously tried a bit of it in VR on someone else's machine and, while seriously atmospheric, it made my eyes feel as if they were about to explode. I'm hoping the standard gameplay style will be less uncomfortable.

45 minutes ago, apsham said:

I'm going through Replicant before I give Automata another college try.

I want to play Replicant because it has two of my favorite voice actors in it. But I've heard the gameplay is outdated, so I am going to hold off until it's no longer $80.  I'm curious what connections there are between the games (I know Emil... as he shows up as the bodyless shopkeep in Automata)

37 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

With Resident Evil Village out, I thought I'd play through Resident Evil 7. I previously tried a bit of it in VR on someone else's machine and, while seriously atmospheric, it made my eyes feel as if they were about to explode. I'm hoping the standard gameplay style will be less uncomfortable.

I played through 7 not too long ago. A good game, but man, I am a wimp. I do not handle horror games well. THankfully it was a relatively short game (about 10-12 hours?). I didn't have any eyeball explode-y feelings, so hopefully you don't. 

• Like 1

I'm not really getting on with Resident Evil 7. As much as I like the fights and chases, it's the rummaging around drawers to find keys that turns me off. I have a bad sense of direction in the real world, so games that want me to go backwards and forwards, poking around in the dark, are ones that I find quite difficult to enjoy.

I understand that it's a problem with myself rather than the game, and it's a staple of the series. For many players, the downtime between heart-pounding action sequences works well because they don't end up spending too long on the puzzle sections before solving them. For me, though, I'll either end up ambling blindly for ages or having to very carefully follow a step-by-step guide, neither of which lend themselves well to a particularly enjoyable experience. I stop finding the game scary and start finding it boring.

Finally gotten round to playing Hitman 3 and as much as I loved Hitman 2 and loving the campaign for Hitman 3... It's a bit cheeky to charge full price at launch given how short the actual campaign is. (Fortunately I got it on sale)

I get levels can be replayed in a variety of ways being a big selling point but 5/6 missions is a bit mehhh. 

I didn't think the number of missions was a problem in and of itself because the other games were similar in that regard. I would say that Hitman 3's levels didn't all have the big sandbox feel the previous games did, and so it sort of felt as though the replay value was diminished slightly.