General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

You all are spelling "Remaster KOTOR 1 and 2 and make KOTOR 3" in a really weird way.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

You all are spelling "Remaster KOTOR 1 and 2 and make KOTOR 3" in a really weird way.

Nope. Never really cared about the KOTOR games. But I played Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy to death. Plus Jedi Academy ended on a cliffhanger depending on if you chose the Dark Side or the Light Side. I want that to be resolved!

Edited by Hellraiser
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, YuKing CornEllis said:

The Force Unleashed III, goddamnit.

2 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

You all are spelling "Remaster The Force Unleashed 1 and 2 and make The Force Unleashed 3" in a really weird way.

Early stills from MK movie released.

The guy playing Jax has been compared to Steve Harvey and I can't unsee it and now neither can you

I'm in love with CrossCode. It's like a JRPG from the 90s on the SNES or something. I had the collector's edition ordered months and months ago from Strictly Limited, but I bought that sight unseen because I saw a bunch of recommendations on Reddit about it (in particular if you enjoyed Cosmic Star Heroine - which I did, very much so. Bought the collector's edition of that off eBay after beating it on the Switch when I had one earlier in 2020).

But now that I have a digital PS5, I had to double dip, so I bought the digital version of CrossCode (and CSH, because it's such a good game).

Fair warning if anyone decides to try either of these: Cosmic Star Heroine is more traditional with the turn based combat, whereas CrossCode doesn't. You have melee attacks that you can do freely, and then a sphere aiming system (using R1 and the right analog stick).

Cosmic Star Heroine is an amazing game, arguably the best JRPG style games outside of Persona 5 in many years. I wish there were more games like it and Citizens of Earth that capture the 16-bit era JRPGs so perfectly.

2 minutes ago, OctoberRaven said:

Cosmic Star Heroine is an amazing game, arguably the best JRPG style games outside of Persona 5 in many years. I wish there were more games like it and Citizens of Earth that capture the 16-bit era JRPGs so perfectly.

CrossCode is definitely in that same vein, just without the turn based combat.

But yeah, I love Cosmic Star Heroine. The soundtrack hasn't left my car's CD player since I got it mid-2020. The collector's edition is pretty badass, too. So is the one for CrossCode (super cheap for everything you get, too).

I can't wait for Hitman 3 on Wednesday. Just found out that bringing over your progression from Hitman 2 (and anything done for Hitman 1) is optional, so whilst the vast majority of people will be carrying on, a mad man like me is going to choose to wipe everything and do it all over again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris2K said:

I can't wait for Hitman 3 on Wednesday. Just found out that bringing over your progression from Hitman 2 (and anything done for Hitman 1) is optional, so whilst the vast majority of people will be carrying on, a mad man like me is going to choose to wipe everything and do it all over again.

I'm looking forward to it as well. If you're playing on PC, you apparently can't play the older levels if you have the previous games on a platform other than the Epic Store. That's annoying. I've been playing on Xbox One, though, so I'll be OK, albeit with inferior graphics.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

I'm looking forward to it as well. If you're playing on PC, you apparently can't play the older levels if you have the previous games on a platform other than the Epic Store. That's annoying. I've been playing on Xbox One, though, so I'll be OK, albeit with inferior graphics.

Speaking of that, the new-gen console versions will be updating all the legacy (H1 and H2) levels with the updated graphics and mechanics of the S3 levels. It will make Victor Novikov walking down that Parisian staircase for the 1000th time look even nicer.

I feel as though the new Hitman games are the result of a series finally achieving its potential. The games were always good at their best, but they were frustrating too. The new ones strike a great balance between accessibility and depth, which makes them so fun to experiment with.

Obviously, the recent rise of game streaming has helped too. Hitman games are some of the most entertaining to watch.

One of my biggest "I can't believe this is happening" memories playing a video game happened in an elusive target mission on Hitman 1, where... the non-target kill penalty section of my results basically tells the story:

DFJHvz7UAAAYzGH?format=jpg&name=large

At one point I was basically holed up in a room on a roof as every single NPC with a gun just kept making their way up to try and kill me, and since it was an elusive target I had to just ride it out and keep killing them because there was no restarting the mission.

• Like 1

I never really picked up a Hitman game since playing, and eventually disliked, the second game. I was promised being able to approach missions the way I wanted to, but then I got to the second mission where it felt as if I didn't walk a *very* specific path to my target that I'd be perforated with extreme prejudice, and the third mission where it felt like there was only *one* solution, and eventually gave up on it.

One day I might try to give the reboot a shot. Preferably if you can say 'fuck it' and go guns blazing as a perfectly viable option.

5 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

For what it's worth, IO Interactive and the Epic Store are both working together to fix that.

Edited by tristy

I really wish demos were more of a thing still. Cities:Skylines Premium Edition 2 is on sale and the idea of a modern take on SIM City sounds fun kinda but I really don't know if I'll like it or I'll just be lost.

5 minutes ago, =BK= said:

I really wish demos were more of a thing still. Cities:Skylines Premium Edition 2 is on sale and the idea of a modern take on SIM City sounds fun kinda but I really don't know if I'll like it or I'll just be lost.

It's worth a shot, still keep meaning to learn it myself considering my city building game experience really stops at SimCity 3000.

Cities: Skylines is a lot of fun but it's also *immense* in terms of what you eventually have to manage as your city grows and it can get a little overwhelming at times. A demo would probably show you the relatively fun and relaxing early stages of your city and cut you off when traffic really starts to become a concern.