General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

There are a lot of rumours about remasters of GTA 3, Vice City and San Andreas coming soon to PC, Switch, Xbox, Playstation and Mobile. The graphics are said to be slightly improved and the UI will be different, but the gameplay will remain similar.

I think they really, really need to add mid-mission checkpoints. Having to drive halfway across the map to restart a mission every time you fail, and then having to complete it in one try, was bad design back in 2001, let alone now.

Getting all the old songs back should be a top priority as well. The Steam version patched some of them out because the licences had expired.

The GTA stuff, I'd be curious to see how much of an ugrade they do to the games but I'm not sure how fussed I'd be about playing them. I'd play 3 maybe because I never actually finished that one at the time and it does that little bit of a historical factor to it as well, like it was the one that really kickstarted the series again and spawned a whole genre so it'd be interesting to see how it holds up today.

I'm surprised at this point they've never done a remaster of Red Dead Revolver. You'd think there be a lot of curiosity in trying that out given everyone jumped on at Redemption. I think it came out digitally on PS3 or 4 at some point but just as a re-release of the PS2 version.

Unless it's maybe one of those original Street Fighter situations where the first just isn't worth revisiting.

55 minutes ago, King Ellis said:

Unless it's maybe one of those original Street Fighter situations where the first just isn't worth revisiting.

That's how I see it - it was a bang average game, with none of the open world elements that made Red Dead great. I don't think it would be worth remastering, and would be a disappointment to anyone expecting anything akin to the RDR games.

Yeah, the only references to Revolver are in passing and RDR Multiplayer had Revolver characters available after a certain point. That's about it.

That being said when I played RDR 2 I had scorpions etched on my main guns because NOTHING IS FASTER THAN A SCORPION REVOLVER

4 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

Oh... Elisyum does not fuck around. 

I've yet to get past Elysium. Boney fucked me up a lot (I prefer melee to ranged), but I beat him using the Chaos shield the first time. Then immediately got killed by butterflies in Elysium. :lol:

• Haha 1

Yeah I can't make it past Elysium either. I think I'll dive back into Hades soon enough to try to get through the whole game. I think with more time I'll be strong enough to make it out of Elysium. First two levels I can get through if I'm lucky without dying. Elysium just wrecks me every time though.

When I was playing Hades, I was like "I will just play through it once, stop and not play again. And the ending is fucking killer. 

I beat the game on my 25th run or so. Totally worth it. If you are struggling, turn on God mode. 

• Like 1

I'm absolutely loving Yakuza 7, it's everything I could want from a game in both gameplay mechanics and story. I'm on Chapter 8 and have no idea how far through I am, but I've been concentrating a lot on the business mini-game instead of progressing the plot. And playing golf. And doing karaoke. And completing the many, many sub-stories. And level grinding on every job type. And collecting bugs.

I'm fairly certain Sujimon is based on some other game series, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Something about "being a Sujimon master" and "wanting to be the very best, like no-one ever was" all feels somewhat familiar.

The cut-scenes certainly are long, although my favourite moment involving them is:

- sitting through a 10 minute cut-scene
- walking forward 10 steps to examine something
- this triggered a 15 minute cut-scene
- which led to a save point as it was the end of chapter
- and the new chapter started with another 10 minute cut-scene

5 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

I got to the boss in Elysium in my second visit! Slowly making progress as I level up. Really like the Hangover effect for that damage over time. 

I found that my progression with the game was struggling very hard to even beat Meg (maybe like 10 or so tries), but after I beat Meg it only took me a few times to beat the boss in the next area. Like on Elysium, I maybe died once or twice to them before I beat them. I find what happened was that after 10 or so runs with a weapon, I found out what strategies and approaches I preferred and once I mastered those strategies I was able to progress much quicker. 

I was like you - used the bow and always tried to get Dinoysus to give me hangover. But more importantly, I almost always picked Tricky Shot, the huge grenade like projective that creates a fog on the ground. So I would always pick Tricky Shot and first and round out my other attack buffs with whatever came up. I liked Athena's deflect for my dash, but it depended.