General Gaming Thread 2021

Ruki

I have Hades on the Switch Lite, but am tempted to pick up on PS5 just for the joy of playing it on my television. Such a great game.

On 17/08/2021 at 12:39, Chris2K said:

I'm absolutely loving Yakuza 7, it's everything I could want from a game in both gameplay mechanics and story. I'm on Chapter 8 and have no idea how far through I am, but I've been concentrating a lot on the business mini-game instead of progressing the plot. And playing golf. And doing karaoke. And completing the many, many sub-stories. And level grinding on every job type. And collecting bugs.

I'm fairly certain Sujimon is based on some other game series, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Something about "being a Sujimon master" and "wanting to be the very best, like no-one ever was" all feels somewhat familiar.

The cut-scenes certainly are long, although my favourite moment involving them is:

- sitting through a 10 minute cut-scene
- walking forward 10 steps to examine something
- this triggered a 15 minute cut-scene
- which led to a save point as it was the end of chapter
- and the new chapter started with another 10 minute cut-scene

I've picked up all of the Yakuza games over the past year and am slowly....slowly working my way through them. I just finished Kiwami, so onto Kiwami 2. I'll probably be finished by 2023 some time >_>

I've just finished Yakuza LAD and that ending is... wow. It's a fantastic story, although I do find myself questioning Kasuga's decisions frequently.

Now to find some cats, race some karts and complete the other insane substories. I'm thinking of going back to Yakuza 0 but I love the LAD gameplay so much it might be hard to get excited about the old gameplay system.

5 hours ago, Ruki Returns said:

I thought so too! They sound exactly the same... but surprisingly not. 

Yeah most of the games from Supergiant use in house people for the voices, including the people who actually do other jobs within the game. The guy who voices Zag for instance, is also the composer.

11 hours ago, apsham said:

Yeah most of the games from Supergiant use in house people for the voices, including the people who actually do other jobs within the game. The guy who voices Zag for instance, is also the composer.

He's also Skelly!

14 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

The fact that a game that's 60% off still costs that much is a sad statement about game prices now.

I mean, it's just inflation tbh. 30 bucks in 1997 is equivalent to 50 bucks now there or thereabouts. I'm more concerned about incomplete games, add ons, DLC and P2W crap, that is where people are ripped off.

In a lot of cases now, it's all of those things. Season passes and DLC roadmaps are more commonly being put out before a game even launches, and then you've got ever more cosmetic items and/or lootboxes behind paywalls.

Inflation is obviously a factor that shouldn't be ignored, but we're at a point now where "complete" versions of games for those buying everything at launch often cost way more than the £60/$70 price.

I think that waiting for major published games to go down in price is more and more of a sensible option these days. Publishers use the concept of FOMO to push people to pre-order everything, but you're then paying the most to get the worst version of a game.

• Like 1

Death Stranding is a complete game, and a complete experience. Just like an episode of Ride With Norman Reedus.

• Haha 1

On 21/08/2021 at 18:13, OctoberRaven said:

Currently playing Dex. It's a 2D cyberpunk adventure game, like Deus Ex but in a Metroidvania style. Pretty good so far, though I had to remap my gamepad because for some reason when the "shoot your gun" button is mapped to my right trigger it doesn't want to, y'know, shoot the gun so I had to map it to the bumper instead. Oddly block is also mapped to RT on the default but that works fine.... once I calibrated my controller to get the triggers to work at all.

Finished this last night. Really good experience. Wish that there was more to the endings, especially since there could have easily been like six different endings instead of the three given if they factored in a choice in the penultimate mission.

This guy's shirt

8ILKIij.jpg

23 hours ago, Bobfoc said:

In a lot of cases now, it's all of those things. Season passes and DLC roadmaps are more commonly being put out before a game even launches, and then you've got ever more cosmetic items and/or lootboxes behind paywalls.

Inflation is obviously a factor that shouldn't be ignored, but we're at a point now where "complete" versions of games for those buying everything at launch often cost way more than the £60/$70 price.

I think that waiting for major published games to go down in price is more and more of a sensible option these days. Publishers use the concept of FOMO to push people to pre-order everything, but you're then paying the most to get the worst version of a game.

Right, but your original argument was just that a game at discount wasn't as cheap as you'd thought it'd be, but I was just pointing out that in this specific instance, it was purely an inflation issue and nothing to do with "these days".

That's fair. I should have been more specific. It's a bit jarring to me when they're going to release a separate expanded version soon, but the standard "vanilla" edition is still as expensive as it is. I think I'm probably still in the mindset that PC games are cheaper than console games, which isn't really the case now.

I suppose a lot of it has to do with specific publishers, though. I've often found that 2K games tend to go down in price quite quickly, whereas Activision games don't. When all is said and done, you buy a game if you think it's worth the price and not if you don't.

• Like 1

Tripwire Interactive's president John Gibson has "gone on the record" as being anti-choice. This is the same company behind Maneater & Killing Floor 2, as well as publishers of Chivalry 2.