The Sir Alex Ferguson Thread (For Manager related news)

Baddar

57 minutes ago, DavidMarrio said:

I think a lot of certain clubs circle the same small group of managers such as the Bruce's/Hodgson's and Big Sam's of the world because they're known of doing a certain standard of job. 

It is shocking the lack of BAME managers. The thing with Campbell is he's proven he can do something at a certain level, is he being over passed due to ability, race or attitude? 

Well I think everyone can agree that Sol Campbell is a cunt, but I found a thing that has noted every single black manager since the start of the modern Premier League and March 2020.

https://public.tableau.com/en-us/gallery/black-managers-premier-league

TL;dr - The only black manager to have held more than two jobs in the Premier League are Ruud Gullit (Chelsea/Newcastle) and Chris Hughton (BHA/Norwich/Newcastle/Spurs)

And out of 240 unique managers in that time, only 9 have been by people of colour. A staggering 3,75%.

I think it's a top down thing though, scrolling through the teams I noticed that most of them had short stints, and I think they are more likely to get the worst coaching jobs due to 'scraping the barrel' attitudes where they go with a BAME choice out of necessity (or even for PR reasons). When all else fails, a BAME manager has less choice so they're more likely to accept the dead end job.

But I think if you dig deeper, it starts further back than that. But honestly it's probably not the topic for this thread to be filled by.

Anyways, any of you got coaching experience? I heard my local club de Graafschap is searching, and at this point any idiot with attacking intentions would be an improvement.

• Like 1

Dundalk in the League of Ireland are also looking for a new manager, I think, too! 

They had a guy who had been a coach at Man City (I think) got them into the Europa League groups, but it turned out he wasn't fully lisenced so he couldn't manage them... But I think he secretly was?  Then they sacked the guy they replaced him with and probably also him?

Anyway, Jim Magliton is in temporary charge.

They should hire Poch as their new manager.

20 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Very excite for it to be Graham Potter.

I'd happily take Potter or Ten Hag if Poch is 100% not avail. 

Overreaction on twitter by Spurs fans seems weird to me - Conte wants to challenge for titles and if he needs more money than we can commit to make that happen, then he isn't the right coach for us. We need someone to lead us through a re-build and, while Conte is an elite manager, there's no point trying to compromise in vision or we'll end up with a Jose situ. Levy had to try for talks, it was worth exploring, now we just need to be decisive in the next step. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Adam said:

He came out of both the Macclesfield and Southend jobs with a lot of credit. Joined sinking ships and improved them, even if not enough to stop the rot because they were both clubs in dire trouble. Macc don't even exist anymore and Southend just sank into the Conference.

It's hard to deny that there is a racial bias in management in England, when only a couple of the 92 jobs available are held by BAME managers.

I'm very confused at the notion he improved Southend - he was worse than his predecessor as manager Kevin Bond and got them relegated. I'd be confident in predicting that had he stayed on, they'd have been relegated since season as well.

You're right that there's a racial bias in management in England, but in Campbell's case I'm not sure that's a bigger issue than his lack of competence - a better example would be Kevin Bond's predecessor as Southend manager, Chris Powell, who comparatively was superb for them and hasn't been given a look in since, though he is now the Spurs assistant manager.

Edit: Campbell's issue also is that he gives off the impression that he thinks any further jobs at the level of Southend/Macclesfield are beneath him, and that because he's put in the bare minimum amount of time in and was a famous player, he should be getting looks in at jobs higher up the pyramid.

33 minutes ago, MadJack said:

I'm very confused at the notion he improved Southend - he was worse than his predecessor as manager Kevin Bond and got them relegated. I'd be confident in predicting that had he stayed on, they'd have been relegated since season as well.

You're right that there's a racial bias in management in England, but in Campbell's case I'm not sure that's a bigger issue than his lack of competence - a better example would be Kevin Bond's predecessor as Southend manager, Chris Powell, who comparatively was superb for them and hasn't been given a look in since, though he is now the Spurs assistant manager.

Edit: Campbell's issue also is that he gives off the impression that he thinks any further jobs at the level of Southend/Macclesfield are beneath him, and that because he's put in the bare minimum amount of time in and was a famous player, he should be getting looks in at jobs higher up the pyramid.

The thing is though, that you can look at results all you like but Southend have for the last 2-3 years been a case of a club in a complete and total mess off the field and it severely hamstrings the manager, coaching staff and players from being able to do much of anything. Add to that the fact that they were one of the smallest clubs in the third tier anyway when Campbell took over and you see that he had an absolute mountain to climb to do anything. From all reports and people I spoke to local to the club he did a decent enough job in the circumstances and left because there was no sign of a turnaround, as was proven when they sunk straight down League Two and got relegated again this season. I'm not sure anyone from Pep Guardiola down could have done anything with that team this season. And Campbell left Macc because they weren't paying him his due wages, which anyone is entitled to do.

Your last bit I won't disagree with, because to be honest if that is Campbell's attitude it's the wrong one. But he should definitely be able to get a job at a League One club based on what he's done so far, or at least get an interview and a legitimate shot at it.

I think what's really shocking is that it should've been clear very early on in the discussions that they'd be far apart in how much money was needed to give Conte what he wanted. Why did we waste a whole week? We looked stupid & fans are restless. Weird.

I never expected "Conte to Spurs" to get as far as the point where it'd be Conte realizing it was a bad move. He tells you who he is, a guy who wants everything a certain way and endless sums of money to make it possible, right there in his CV. Did Spurs thing they'd be able to convince him of the value of being frugal?

I'd be restless were I a Spurs fan because you're seeing the other good candidates slowly get hired elsewhere/get contract extensions.

Edited by damshow