The E3 2021/Summer Game Fest Thread

Bobfoc

1 minute ago, Maxx said:

The music, narration and character voices in Babylon have turned me off of it.  

I cracked up at that Skeletor-like character voice coming out of nowhere.

1 minute ago, Your Mom said:

Life is Strange! I forgot these guys did this. Something I like! :D 

They also did Tell Me Why, which is free all month on the Microsoft Store!

WB Games starting in a couple minutes, get the impression it's going to mostly/entirely be Back 4 Blood.

EDIT: It was, and it was all of ten minutes long.

Catching up on the shows, man that Xbox one kept going didn't it? Like 10 years ago it used to be 'WHERE ARE GAMES?!' and now it's just 'HERE ARE ALL OF THE GAMES AND ALL OF THEM ARE ON GAME PASS' so that's neat. They really are making that a must have, aren't they? Glad Back 4 Blood is coming to it, will be good to LADS 4 DEAD again.

The Guardians game is going to have some hurdles to overcome with the obvious association to Avengers, plus suffering the same lack of licensed appearances that a lot of people will now associate with those characters. Kinda had a Mass Effect squad shoot combat thing going for it mixed with DMC so it appears at least to be deviating from the Avengers mould. Certainly has the feel of Guardians down with the look and sound.

Selling all the early Final Fantasy's AGAIN certainly is a thing, though I'm guessing this time they're going to be closer to the original style and not horribly re-drawn like those mobile ports.

And my goodness, the FF Souls-like was just laughable with it's tone. Maybe it just sticks out more due to how one will think of the original with the cutesy 8 bit graphics and what not but some of the dialogue was borderline parody of an attempt at a dark and brooding character. It's like every 14 year old's fan fiction come to life. What was one of the lines there, 'I can smell the darkness' or something along those lines? Ridiculous. Those finishing moves look like they could get old real quick as well. 

I'm all in on that Guardians game, and it's this year! Slightly annoying that you can only play as Star-Lord, but that's okay. I saw what I'm pretty sure are Cosmo the Spacedog and Mantis in that trailer, too. Like James Gunn, I too am interested in finding out why Groot is holding a llama. I'm gutted that Crystal Dynamics fucked up an online multiplayer GAAS Marvel game, because these team games are perfect for it if there's an actual plan in place with content constantly coming out (and not doing the same thing over and over). But I also love single player games, so I'm perfectly okay with this (and, in fact, Avengers had a good solo campaign).

Apparently different outfits will be unlockable throughout the story, and MCU outfits will be available at launch. They're all "inspired" by the comics or the MCU, so here's hoping they put more thought into it than Crystal Dynamics does. Even the pre-order bonus outfits are unlockable in the story.

I do have a feeling the game is set in the same universe as the Avengers game, though.

EDIT: now I'm further into the gameplay video and there's choices that might affect the characters relationships (and maybe the story)? Yeah, sign me up.

Edited by tristy

One thing that struck me about Guardians is that by making it Star-Lord only they're leaving open obvious paths for expansions/sequels - I think they'll go down the story DLC packs route, with Gamora DLC, a Groot one etc etc.

Which I guess is better than other methods of carving out content.