The E3 2021/Summer Game Fest Thread

Bobfoc

7 minutes ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Honestly, Mario & Rabbids is just such a neat story. It seemed like a potential nightmare and then it turned out to be a great game, in a year that wasn't as stacked as 2017 was it would have stood out even more.

It was a real surprise gem to me. Such a high quality game that they absolutely nailed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

What's Ubisoft plus? Like their version of game pass?

Pretty much, but it's only on PC at the moment.

And so that's another Ubisoft showcase with no mention of Beyond Good and Evil 2 or Skull and Bones. It's as if Ubisoft saw Sony show The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy 7 Remake in 2015 and decided that they needed to restore the E3 vapourware tradition.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bobfoc said:

Pretty much, but it's only on PC at the moment.

And so that's another Ubisoft showcase with no mention of Beyond Good and Evil 2 or Skull and Bones. It's as if Ubisoft saw Sony show The Last Guardian and Final Fantasy 7 Remake in 2015 and decided that they needed to restore the E3 vapourware tradition.

Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier said this week that Beyond Good and Evil 2 is still in “very very early development”.

I completely forgot about Godfall which is weird because it was a running joke with girl who worked at Gearbox until I cut her out of my life.  

Catching up on Ubisoft, spoilered for length I guess:

Spoiler

The Rainbow Six thing threw me at first, I played a little bit of siege but assumed this was maybe like a an update/patch to that and thought I must have missed something along the way if aliens had made their way in. It's kind of neat to take that base game and then spin it off a little bit rather than just make a straight up sequel that follows the exact same formula but it just seems like another live service game. Like it's just The Crew but in first person.

Rocksmith is weird as well, it's a sound idea if they're taking it away from being tied to a piece of software or hardware and it seems cool having this wide scope to it with things alongside the basic 'game', with the community aspect, tutorial videos etc. But, it's just very removed from being a game and feels like a weird niche for them to be involved in. Still, I guess if it takes off it's a nice little side hustle for them to have and that's probably a developing market with things like Skill Share. It's not something I'm familiar with in the slightest so is there something similar already out there for learning guitar, especially one that has all these licensed songs as they're promising?

The extreme sports game looked cool in part, though my worry would be that having all these different sports in one might lead to a 'jack of all trades, master of none' scenario. If they can pull off that sheer number of players at once that'd be awesome. The jet pack/squirrel suit part seems like it would be fun, has that 'Iron Man' type feel to it that piqued my interest in Anthem when it was first shown. The BMX stuff doesn't feel that unique as it seems we have a lot of different games covering that sort of thing but the snowboarding fills a gap. There always tends to be one snowboarding type game around, going back to SSX obviously and there was Steep, I think it was called, on One/PS4? It does have a bit of an SSX feel to it in general, like I think some of the later ones weren't so compartmentalised and you had this whole mountain with events going on and it seems that way here, this big enviroment to explore. Love how even it falls into the Ubisoft trap of landmark/eagle vision stuff that Maxx/Gogo were talking about before it started.

The Far Cry 6 Season Pass thing, is that just a weird, trippy story or is there some sort of Quantam Leap thing going on? Like, Vaas seemed to be grabbed through a mirror by that one dude so is he just taking control of the different villians from the other games?

Speaking of feeling like a skipped a few chapters, we went from that techno kid in Mario vs Rabbids somehow warping into the Mushroom Kingdom to now Mario is on a spaceship with Luigi, Peach and Rabbid Peach?!

An Avatar game in the year of our lord 2021, I always find it really strange that Avatar was like the biggest movie ever and had that box office record for, what, 10-15 years there, but it's taken just so long to get a sequel out and I think it never really stuck around in the public's concious. When was the last time you ever heard anyone talk about it? Game looks pretty, I guess, sums up the movie pretty aptly then.

UbisoftPlus, kinda feels like the way streaming has gone with everything fragmenting out with companies wanting to get their own slice of the pie rather than just sign off their content to Netflix, Hulu or whatever. We already had EA Access, even if that got incorporated into Xbox Game Pass, but are we going to end up with with each big publisher just doing their own game pass instead?

7 hours ago, GoGo Yubari said:

Honestly anything unkind I had to say about Devolver's comedy stuff has now evaporated in the face of Gearbox's comedy stuff.

I've always liked the way Devolver takes the piss out the industry and its current trends.

And they start their actual show off with a game called Trek to Yomi which looks just fucking gorgeous.

Edited by tristy