Sky Bet EFL 2021/22

Adam

• Admin

Bristol Rovers manager Joey Barton has been charged with assault by beating after a woman suffered a head injury.

Barton, a former Premier League footballer, is due to appear at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court on Monday.

The charge relates to an incident which took place at a residential property in Kew on Wednesday 2 June.

https://news.sky.com/story/joey-barton-bristol-rovers-manager-and-former-premier-league-footballer-charged-with-assault-after-woman-suffers-head-injury-12363558

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Lineker said:

If guilty he needs a long, long (or preferably permanent) ban from football following whatever custodial sentence he gets.

Just now, Twist said:

If guilty he needs a long, long (or preferably permanent) ban from football following whatever custodial sentence he gets.

That should have happened years ago with all the other stuff he's done, but it won't. And people will keep giving him jobs and a platform too.

Joey Barton has shown us all who he really is for a long time. No one should be surprised when he proves his reputation right.

• Like 1

On 25/07/2021 at 16:55, Adam said:

That should have happened years ago with all the other stuff he's done, but it won't. And people will keep giving him jobs and a platform too.

Joey Barton has shown us all who he really is for a long time. No one should be surprised when he proves his reputation right.

In their most recent statement, Barton's club Bristol Rovers have incorrectly invoked the CPS' "victimless prosecution" which, in domestic cases, refers to a charge brought when the alleged victim has withdrawn their statement (often due to coercion/fear and other domestic relationship implications) but there is still believed to be enough evidence to proceed.

Bristol Rovers have used this to call it a "victimless crime", as if to absolve Barton of any culpability. Truly shocking and embarrassing from the football club.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Adam said:

In their most recent statement, Barton's club Bristol Rovers have incorrectly invoked the CPS' "victimless prosecution" which, in domestic cases, refers to a charge brought when the alleged victim has withdrawn their statement (often due to coercion/fear and other domestic relationship implications) but there is still believed to be enough evidence to proceed.

Bristol Rovers have used this to call it a "victimless crime", as if to absolve Barton of any culpability. Truly shocking and embarrassing from the football club.

DO NOT EVEN GET ME FUCKING STARTED 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Rovers are my "family" club in that it's my local team and my dad's side support them. We go to games and bond. But my main love is FC St Pauli, so I am somewhat detached from Rovers, but I still love them.

But all of this is a new low, even for us. I have seen us be an absolute shit show over many years, but there was always a family feel to things (even if that is usually confused with unprofessional organisation, in my eyes). This? This is beyond moronic.

Ultimately, whether you believe Barton is innocent or not (can't say I do, but that's my own opinion) he has the right to his day in court and he is innocent until proven guilty.

But to not only put out the original lame ass three sentence "We're aware, but we can't talk about it" statement, but THEN put out that absolute garbage of a statement? I am in awe at the level of stupidity of that.

To explain that the case is a victimless prosecution case and the legal text of that isn't going to insinuate Joey Barton did it, but add context. It's fucking stupid that they knew all of this and they've still managed to balls it all up.

And that's the galling bit - they KNEW this was liable to occur. They knew that, by giving Joey Barton the opportunity to manage us, they could end up in a situation like this and they STILL manage to make all of the fans and the club look like absolute fucking idiots. It would be funny if it wasn't so aggravating.

That they didn't plan for this, or seem to be able to offer any transparent protocols for a situation like this is insane. Its a professional football club and it's still being run like a local park team - even with new, rich owners.

And I don't like to be critical of Wael Al-Qadi, because he's a good guy who has invested a lot into the club. But he has either surrounded himself with the most inept, secret order of fuckwits or he isn't as bright as he seems. Relegation, poor managerial decisions and now this? Fuck me.

And the fact is that now the fanbase is divided to such a degree we've somehow managed to become a parody of the Labour Party! It's becoming a cultural divide between the two sets of fans: those who buy into Joey's identity or vision (I believe the former is probably more of the case), and those who don't. And it's damaging for a club like them. They've got a more successful team the opposite side of the city who already get a lot of younger fans come to their side. Rovers can't afford to lose a generation of fans to City again.

And it's the FANS who suffer the most. The recent #HerGameToo movement was founded with two Rovers fans involved. Caz May and Lucy Ford are die hard Gasheads who helps to create a great fucking movement, have helped to create partnerships with clubs - one of which is actually Bristol Rovers - and now they're made to look like mugs and get MORE abuse and calls to nullify their partnership with the club they love. It's inexcusable to fuck them over like this.

I am going to the friendly tonight with my dad (bought the tickets in advance), but I will be going with my FC St Pauli shirt on and I will be DAMN sure to make my feelings known.

All in all, I'm glad I put my energy into St. Pauli, because Rovers cannot help themselves and it infuriates the shit out of me.

Also, Barton isn't actually that great of a manager. Talks a bit game but doesn't seem to back that shit up. Didn't want him in the first place and, to be honest, this isn't helping me change any opinions on him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...