Sky Bet EFL 2021/22

Adam

The drama in League Two today is ridiculous. Northampton can go from having an advantage on goal difference and winning 3-1 to still dropping into the playoffs due to Bristol Rovers (still in play) winning 7-0 at hapless Scunthorpe. 

Also, after months of preparing for non-league football... Stevenage survived! This time on merit!

10 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

The drama in League Two today is ridiculous. Northampton can go from having an advantage on goal difference and winning 3-1 to still dropping into the playoffs due to Bristol Rovers (still in play) winning 7-0 at hapless Scunthorpe. 

Also, after months of preparing for non-league football... Stevenage survived! This time on merit!

And by a reasonably comfortable margin in the end. Not wanting to be pessimistic for you, but I think that it's unlikely that the National League winners (probably Stockport) will be near the relegation zone next season. Stockport, Wrexham and Chesterfield have all spent a lot by National League standards and will be hoping to challenge near the top end of League Two.

1 hour ago, Bobfoc said:

And by a reasonably comfortable margin in the end. Not wanting to be pessimistic for you, but I think that it's unlikely that the National League winners (probably Stockport) will be near the relegation zone next season. Stockport, Wrexham and Chesterfield have all spent a lot by National League standards and will be hoping to challenge near the top end of League Two.

Honestly, I was expecting it this year and do feel we're on borrowed time. After we lost at home to Oldham I was pretty resigned to it as were most others we spoke to after the game but finished reasonably well. Obviously at this level there's a reasonable amount of player turnover so it'll be about how things change over Summer but think we'll be in another battle but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

37 minutes ago, lanky316 said:

Honestly, I was expecting it this year and do feel we're on borrowed time. After we lost at home to Oldham I was pretty resigned to it as were most others we spoke to after the game but finished reasonably well. Obviously at this level there's a reasonable amount of player turnover so it'll be about how things change over Summer but think we'll be in another battle but hope to be pleasantly surprised.

You might struggle really with Steve Evans. Unless he has money to spend, he's not so good at sorting a squad out and getting them going. Gillingham fans absolutely loathe him for the state he left them in earlier this season (and they got relegated) whereas a year prior they thought he was pretty good.

Yeah, it wasn't a decision I'm fully on board with. He got the job done and saved us but going forwards I don't know what state we'll be in afterwards. It's been amazing to have a decent run in the league and I'm semi-ready for returning to the conference, expect the worst hope for the best.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Adam said:

You might struggle really with Steve Evans. Unless he has money to spend, he's not so good at sorting a squad out and getting them going. Gillingham fans absolutely loathe him for the state he left them in earlier this season (and they got relegated) whereas a year prior they thought he was pretty good.

Steve Evans has always been a short-term solution. His attitude to coaching basically amounts to Stephen Fry's portrayal of the Duke of Wellington in Blackadder. It might give a struggling team a boost, but it also tends to mean that players don't want to stay if he's in charge. When he managed Boston, he effectively got through a new squad every season because everyone hated playing for him.

I remember talking to Austin McCann about him in 2006, when he'd joined Notts County from Evans' Boston. He said that he's the angriest, most unlikeable manager he'd ever played under.

• Like 1

Aye and he hasn't changed. The pandemic era with no fans shone up just how loud and abusive he is throughout games. Awful bloke who shouldn't have been allowed back into football after the Boston fraud scandal all those years ago to be honest.

Pleasantly surprised with how we dealt with Fulham at the weekend, even if they didn't have anything to play for. Knowing us, we'll totally flame out in the play-offs now.  

Good luck to anyone that has teams in this year's play-offs btw! 

Sky's infatuation with big clubs has reached fever pitch, describing tonight's atmosphere as "Premier League noise".

Last I checked, Sheffield Wednesday haven't been a Premier League club since the year 2000. And being in their stadium reminds you of a time before the Premier League existed because of how out of date and dilapidated it is.

47 minutes ago, Adam said:

Sky's infatuation with big clubs has reached fever pitch, describing tonight's atmosphere as "Premier League noise".

Last I checked, Sheffield Wednesday haven't been a Premier League club since the year 2000. And being in their stadium reminds you of a time before the Premier League existed because of how out of date and dilapidated it is.

By Premier League noise perhaps they mean it just sounds like a load of tourists eating overpriced burgers and taking selfies.

39 minutes ago, Lineker said:

Huddersfield should have had a penalty 20 seconds in there.

Think it was about 9 seconds! Madness. Luton also denied a stonewall penalty in the last few minutes as well, the referees are having a predictable shocker as always.