2020 Tokyo Olympics

Lineker

I normally love the Olympics, but I'm really struggling to care much about these games in much more than a concerned capacity. The atmosphere won't be good without the full crowds, while packing competitors together in a small space is a recipe for disaster.

Team GB is highly unlikely to repeat the great medal hauls of the last two games, but a predicted fifth place in the medal table would still be a very good result. I remember when there was only one British gold medal in 1996, by comparison. Track cycling looks as though it's going to be a sport that sees a major drop in British medals. Data from Gracenote predicts that it will only yield two British medals, both silver, which would be in massive contrast with the success enjoyed over the last three games.

There are a few decent British medal prospects in the athletics. However, I wouldn't say any of them are favourites to win gold. Dina Asher-Smith is a great competitor, but the 100m and 200m are both ridiculously stacked right now. KJT ought to have been a big contender if it hadn't been for her Achilles injury. Other than that, there are some medal prospects in the middle distance races, with gold probably unlikely.

• Like 1

Yeah the time difference is a killer for me too. Most of the sports that interest me are when I'm asleep or at work, and the media coverage is too high for me to avoid results and the like. This one feels pretty skippable unfortunately.

Nice first win for GB against Chile, whilst Sweden convincingly upset the US 3-0 😮 in the footy. 

I've seen everything so far, (there's only been 2 sports so far so that's not saying much). I wish I was less obsessed with the olympics tbh. I obsess over too many things. This is only 2 weeks though. I can live with that.

Netherlands just beat Zambia 10-3. Zambia's lone striker is really way too good for this team. They surprised major African teams on the way to qualify but they obviously lack the level required for such a competition. It was still cool that she managed to score 3 goals.

I normally love the Olympics but I feel the atmosphere helps that as well so will be interesting. 

Is there a list of when events are scheduled to take place GMT?