2020 Tokyo Olympics

Lineker

I caught some footage out of the corner of my eye and it took me longer than it should have to realise the British/Japanese flags in the corner with the numbers was in fact the time and not a scoring system. "What is this crazy sport we're losing to the Japanese to by 827 to 1627?"

• Haha 1

Flora Duffy has just won Bermuda's first ever Gold medal in the Olympics, triumphing in the Triathlon.

I'm not really watching these Games for a multitude of reasons, which is sad, but I love seeing stories like this.

• Like 6

The Phillipines finally got their first gold medal, after 97 years. In women's weightlifting. 

Oh, and....Russia. Their athletes were supposed to have been banned from this one after the shit that went down in Sochi. Allowing them but not allowing "Russia" to even be mentioned is absolute bullshit.

Edited by GhostMachine
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, GhostMachine said:

The Phillipines finally got their first gold medal, after 97 years. In women's weightlifting. 

Oh, and....Russia. Their athletes were supposed to have been banned from this one after the shit that went down in Sochi. Allowing them but not allowing "Russia" to even be mentioned is absolute bullshit.

The Russian athletes participating have no proven connection to the doping scandal.  Should some of the best athletes in the world, who did nothing wrong, not get to play because of the transgressions of others?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/07/27/simone-biles-pulls-out-tokyo-olympics-gymnastics-team-final/5383286001/

So it was, as NBC first reported, not an injury. Good that she pulled herself out if she wasn't mentally in it and trusted her teammates. Hope this era of athletes prioritizing their own mental health continues.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Adam said:

Flora Duffy has just won Bermuda's first ever Gold medal in the Olympics, triumphing in the Triathlon.

I'm not really watching these Games for a multitude of reasons, which is sad, but I love seeing stories like this.

This reminds of seeing a 18 year old kid from Tunisia winning gold in one of the swimming events from lane 8. Literally the last guy into the final against the might of the Aussies, US, Germany ect. Winning the whole damn thing.

Seeing the joy in that kids face kind of made me sit back and go "wow, this is what the Olympics is all about" 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, damshow said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/2021/07/27/simone-biles-pulls-out-tokyo-olympics-gymnastics-team-final/5383286001/

So it was, as NBC first reported, not an injury. Good that she pulled herself out if she wasn't mentally in it and trusted her teammates. Hope this era of athletes prioritizing their own mental health continues.

Her behaviour didn't really gel with "she has an injury and is looking after herself" like they reported, nursing a leg injury and jumping about more than the people on the apparatus most of the time seemed odd. Good to see her looking after herself mentally and hope she is able to clear her mind to compete in the individuals but if not, I'd rather she looked after herself than try to please the sponsors and tv crews and hope that the media give her the space/support as and when she requires it.

11 hours ago, Buschie Kay said:

The Russian athletes participating have no proven connection to the doping scandal.  Should some of the best athletes in the world, who did nothing wrong, not get to play because of the transgressions of others?

When the country in question has a history of cheating, allowing their athletes to participate - no matter whether they're doped up or clean - is a slap in the faces of the other countries. Their cheating at Sochi was so blatant that Russia should've been completely banned until the next Summer Olympics, and shouldn't be even allowed to bid on hosting the Olympics for about another 20 years. Allowing them to perform but the name "Russia" not allowed to be used = bullshit. 

43 minutes ago, Buschie Kay said:

Ledecky made up for it by winning the 1500, leading it from bell to bell.  30 laps, can’t even imagine.

The way her hands were shaking afterwards when trying to put her mask on was insane. Can't even imagine how it must feel.